Help navigating my used Truck search

I need a crew cab truck that I can safely tow a 6,000lb camper with my family of 3 kids & wife.

I have a max budget of 35k. I pulled my camper with my buddies 2018 Ram/Hemi locally and the highway to see how it pulled. I also drove my buddies 2021 Ford F150 with the 5.0. I liked both trucks, especially the fords dash configuration. I'm also interested in the Tundra as they're simple. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just a towing package and 4wd.

My short list
Ram w/ Hemi
Ford F150 w/ 5.0
Tundra with 5.7

I've seen 2018-2019 Ram/F150s at my price point with around 40k miles. I found a local trade in, 1 owner, 39k mile, 2wd, 2014 Tundra for 30k. Which simply seems steep for a 9 year old vehicle, even if it's mint.

Let's say you have 35k to spend, what are your thoughts and why?

I need a crew cab truck that I can safely tow a 6,000lb camper with my family of 3 kids & wife.

I have a max budget of 35k. I pulled my camper with my buddies 2018 Ram/Hemi locally and the highway to see how it pulled. I also drove my buddies 2021 Ford F150 with the 5.0. I liked both trucks, especially the fords dash configuration. I'm also interested in the Tundra as they're simple. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just a towing package and 4wd.

My short list
Ram w/ Hemi
Ford F150 w/ 5.0
Tundra with 5.7

I've seen 2018-2019 Ram/F150s at my price point with around 40k miles. I found a local trade in, 1 owner, 39k mile, 2wd, 2014 Tundra for 30k. Which simply seems steep for a 9 year old vehicle, even if it's mint.

Let's say you have 35k to spend, what are your thoughts and why?

I bought an (2020-F150 Lariat) Eco-boost last September. That thing is awesome pulling my 5,000 pound trailer through the Rocky Mountains. Just got back from a trip Idaho last week.

Too bad it's not on your list.

Last edited:
I bought an (2020F150 Lariat) Eco-boost last September. That thing is awesome pulling my 5,000 pound trailer through the Rocky Mountains. Just got back from a trip Idaho last week.

Too bad it's not on your list.

My buddy had a V6 ecoboost and it had significant issues. I've heard that they've had the kinks worked out but I'd rather avoid.

Is it your daily driver? You are going to be close or over payload with all of those. Pre Covid (I know) I found my 2017 1 ton gasser with 29,000 miles on it for 36,500. I know there are plenty of capable 1/2 tons, but if you can find a gas 3/4 ton or better in that price range you just get a better towing experience.

My buddy had a V6 ecoboost and it had significant issues. I've heard that they've had the kinks worked out but I'd rather avoid.
YEA-Ford sold 79,000 trucks last month (June). The vast majority of those with the 3.5's-probably followed by the Super Duty. Literally millions of the 3.5 Ecoboost on the roads.....

Is it your daily driver? You are going to be close or over payload with all of those. Pre Covid (I know) I found my 2017 1 ton gasser with 29,000 miles on it for 36,500. I know there are plenty capable 1/2 tons, but if you can find a gas 3/4 ton or better in that price range you just get a better towing experience.
I think the a good question is, is all your crap in the camper and makes it be 6000lbs. Or is there a 6000lb camper plus a bed full of stuff and then a cab full of people?

If it's all in the trailer, I think the half ton would probably get it done, 3/4 would be better, but half ton suitable. The GVWR on a 2018/19 Ram 1500 is 6900lb. Pretty sure mine is upper 5000, almost 6000 with me in it, not really a lot of room to work with.

I think the a good question is, is all your crap in the camper and makes it be 6000lbs. Or is there a 6000lb camper plus a bed full of stuff and then a cab full of people?

If it's all in the trailer, I think the half ton would probably get it done, 3/4 would be better, but half ton suitable. The GVWR on a 2018/19 Ram 1500 is 6900lb. Pretty sure mine is upper 5000, almost 6000 with me in it, not really a lot of room to work with.

My camper is 4960 dry. I rounded up to 6k with all our junk in it. The camper has 600lbs of tongue weight and I have a properly set up weight distribution/anti-sway set up that will be utilized.

Is it your daily driver? You are going to be close or over payload with all of those. Pre Covid (I know) I found my 2017 1 ton gasser with 29,000 miles on it for 36,500. I know there are plenty of capable 1/2 tons, but if you can find a gas 3/4 ton or better in that price range you just get a better towing experience.

Yes, I commute 2 miles each way to work.

YEA-Ford sold 79,000 trucks last month (June). The vast majority of those with the 3.5's-probably followed by the Super Duty. Literally millions of the 3.5 Ecoboost on the roads.....

Yes, and I've pulled my boat with one. It pulled great. It's not on my list nor can they be had in my price range without significant miles or age. I'm simply not interested.

My camper is 4960 dry. I rounded up to 6k with all our junk in it. The camper has 600lbs of tongue weight and I have a properly set up weight distribution/anti-sway set up that will be utilized.
Any half ton RAM you will be over payload. Those things have terrible payload numbers.

Yes, I commute 2 miles each way to work
Just ask because MPG.
The WD hitch is fine, but really won't affect Payload.
After having 1/2 ton trucks, I won't have another for towing duty. I have not needed a diesel yet, but kids has 222,000 miles on it runs perfect and tows very nice.

I will tell you we pack very light, and my trailers dry weight is 6280. Loaded for 3 days of camping, (full water tank, full propane, 2 batteries and various other items) on the scales it 7900. I think you are being a bit optimistic with the 6000lbs weight. What WD hitch do you have?
Also what is the overall length of the trailer?

Having said all that if you are set on the 1/2 ton find the newest one with most payload you can find. Manufacturer should not matter, capability should.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Just ask because MPG.
The WD hitch is fine, but really won't affect Payload.
After having 1/2 ton trucks, I won't have another for towing duty. I have not needed a diesel yet, but kids has 222,000 miles on it runs perfect and tows very nice.

I will tell you we pack very light, and my trailers dry weight is 6280. Loaded for 3 days of camping, (full water tank, full propane, 2 batteries and various other items) on the scales it 7900. I think you are being a bit optimistic with the 6000lbs weight. What WD hitch do you have?
Also what is the overall length of the trailer?

Having said all that if you are set on the 1/2 ton find the newest one with most payload you can find. Manufacturer should not matter, capability should.

Trailer is 24ft, double axel, hybrid (Forest River 233s). Listed as 4950 lbs dry. We never camp off the grid so I never carry water in the holding tank. I always empty all holding tanks prior to travel. I carry 1 propane, chairs, plastic table, smaller grill, etc.

WD hitch: https://www.reese-hitches.com/produ..._Complete_Kit_with_Shank_and_Hitch_Ball,49911

Check out a Chevrolet Silverado 2500 with the 6.6 gasser. I saw a new crew cab in black that looked impressive. I thought the price was reasonable especially compared to a new Ford truck. Do a search for the Chevy I mentioned earlier that's a few years old. Maybe check out the Tundra but carefully check the frame for rust.

24 feet overall? Tongue to bumper it probably about 27 feet.
The general rule of thumb is that the first 110 inches of wheelbase give you 20 feet of trailer length. Thereafter, you get an extra one inch of trailer length for every additional four inches of wheelbase.

Did you already buy the hitch? I had that type and switched to the Equalizer E2. I really like that one. The one you posted will work fine too.

Sounds like you want the 1/2 ton. Just find the newest one with the most amount payload.

24 feet overall? Tongue to bumper it probably about 27 feet.
The general rule of thumb is that the first 110 inches of wheelbase give you 20 feet of trailer length. Thereafter, you get an extra one inch of trailer length for every additional four inches of wheelbase.

Did you already buy the hitch? I had that type and switched to the Equalizer E2. I really like that one. The one you posted will work fine too.

Sounds like you want the 1/2 ton. Just find the newest one with the most amount payload.

You're correct. It's 27'ft in total length. I already have the WD hitch and pull it with my Suburban. I'd prefer a 3/4 ton but they cannot be had for the budget I have.

You're correct. It's 27'ft in total length. I already have the WD hitch and pull it with my Suburban. I'd prefer a 3/4 ton but they cannot be had for the budget I have.
I understand that. Prices are crazy. There are few 2014 to 2019 2500HD GM trucks around me for 31 to 35,000, but have 57,000 to 113,000 miles on them. Good luck man. I wouldn't want to have buy anything right now.

6000 lb trailer and a family of 5. If you go the 1/2 ton route as others are saying - look for the truck with the highest payload you can find. Best combo of payload and condition would be what I would look for here...

On a Ford, that will be a 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost truck, so that at least meshes with your desire for the 5.0.

The lower the trim level the higher the payload and every truck is different, look at the placard on the door jam. Don't believe what a travel trailer dry weight is listed at, again, look at the placard on the trailer. Be honest about your payload, everything in the cab, the bed, and the hitch. If you're right up close to payload do you want to travel like that? The WD hitch doesn't change capacity.

If you're brand neutral find the newest truck with the highest payload with miles you can live with. I favor GM so can't make an unbiased recommendation. I'll just say that I'll never tow a travel trailer with less than a 3/4 ton truck again.

Good luck and when you get a truck load everything up like you're traveling, set the hitch up per the instructions then go to a CAT scale and see what your numbers really are. Take tools to make an adjustment and tell the kids to be patient, it's worth it. Lots of info out there about how to do the weighing.

Back