2018 F150 Oil and Fuel Recommendation.

My Story. I purchased a 2018 F150 5.0 brand new in April of 2019. I used Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 with 6K intervals and mostly Sheetz E-85 because I heard E-85 was cleaner burning than gas but I would occasionally use 93 Octane because I would get 24 mpg vs 18 mpg with E-85.

From day one it would burn a quart of oil every 1K miles but it eventually went to 800 miles then 500 miles. A check engine light came on when I was accelerating hard to get in front of traffic. I took it to the dealer expecting a bad oxygen sensor or a clogged converter.

At 87,000 miles the block was fine and had good compression, but the cylinder heads and cams were toast. The # 3 and #8 spark plugs were worn down and all others had oil in them. The mechanic said the heads looked varnished but he noted the oil change intervals so the heads were replaced under warranty.

So now I am concerned what oil and fuel I should use for the new motor. BTW I babied this truck. I never towed anything and I commute to work 80 miles round trip every day mostly highway. It even has the original front brakes at 88K. I have a 2011 5.0 Mustang I drove hard and it has 145K miles with no issues. The truck currently has OEM 5w20 oil and 93 Exxon in it.

So should I stick with Dino oil and not synthetic? Should I stick with 93 octane and not E-85? Should I lower the intervals to 3K instead of 6K because of the direct injection? Or should I chalk it up that I just got a bad motor from day one and now everything is just fine?

I quit using fuel from Sheets. My truck spark knocked and surged so badly I was worried it was damaged. Your better off with a “branded” fuel. Shell, Exxon, Union 76, etc. I realize that everyone is brand loyal when it comes to motor oil… In 40+ years of managing a fleet of vehicles I’ve always used Valvoline synthetic bulk for our fleet and personal cars. No sludge, varnish, or oil related failures. Oil that has sediment in the bottom of containers (Pennzoil) doesn’t impress me as a consistently quality product. Use the weight range recommended for your truck.

Last edited:
There are now plenty of examples where the use of E85 resulted in some strange oil related issues. I'd avoid the use of E85 unless you change oil every 1000 miles.

I avoid using 20 viscosity in anything I own.

i would use Top Tier fuel only . Motorcraft oil is good but there’s better IMO . You can use Valvoline advance synthetic Castrol Edge with ford has partners with on a few project. And Mobil 1 and there many flavors.

15 5.0 in my F150 which is a bit different than your 18. I moved to 5-30 and have remained there. If yours were mine, I do the same. I'd also use synthetic and top-tier 87-octane gasoline. I'm doing 7k OCI's with Fram Ultra filter with Mobil 1 5-30. Most of my driving is highway or I'd be going 5k OCI.

@Webmaster512 I’ve never been a fan of the thinner oils. I still believe that 5w20 cost me a motor in our 2006 Chrysler T&C. It burned that thinner oil clogging the catalytic converter and ultimately burning valves. I’ve used at least 5w30 since then. Even my sons new 2023 Ram Hemi has M1 5w30 in it.

Not looking to start a thick vs thin debate but I believe manufacturers are chasing CAFE regulations and creating some headaches along the way.

Just my $0.02

I quit using fuel from Sheets. My truck spark knocked and surged so badly I was worried it was damaged. Your better off with a “branded” fuel. Shell, Exxon, Union 76, etc. I realize that everyone is brand loyal when it comes to motor oil… In 40+ years of managing a fleet of vehicles I’ve always used Valvoline synthetic bulk for our fleet and personal cars. No sludge, varnish, or oil related failures. Oil that has sediment in the bottom of containers (Pennzoil) doesn’t impress me as a consistently quality product. Use the weight range recommended for your truck.
The truck always spark knocked on 87 rarely on 93 and never on E85. I liked E85 because it made the truck “peppier”. Only Sheetz sold E85 in my area if I used 93 it was always BP or Exxon. Yeah the first time I used Pennzoil in the 5 qt jug there was sediment so I shook it up before installing but who is to say if it doesn’t settle in the bottom of the oil pan. Not a fan of Pennzoil after this.

There are now plenty of examples where the use of E85 resulted in some strange oil related issues. I'd avoid the use of E85 unless you change oil every 1000 miles.

I avoid using 20 viscosity in anything I own.

I think the combination of E85 and direct injection probably diluted the oil somehow and the adding a quart every 1000 miles didn’t help. So a good oil and 93 and I should be OK the next 100K. The first 1K and the oil is still full and clear.

A lot of excuses were made for the sediments at the Bottom of the 5qts Pennzoil bottles . Shaking the bottle doesn’t cut it . You don’t have that problem with M1 or Valvoline bottles . Pennzoil needs to address this

With ford’s known history with timing chain guides, I do NOT use 5-20 in my 2018 ecoboost. It’s received a steady diet of 10-30, either penzoil platinum or Mobil 1. It’s quieter on mobil 1, but smells a little bit of hot oil with Mobil 1, which it never did with PP. Right now, M1 is cheaper at Walmart so I have a few gallons of it.

regardless of which you use, go thicker is my recommendation

Back