Looking for a commuter car that is fuel efficient, reliable, and low priced.

I was looking at a Cobalt recently for a beater, don't really know much about them. They mostly list for so cheap I was wondering if that little ecotec tended to fail often?
Chain and guides fail, just like any other car replace them occasionally and you should see 250,000-400000 on a motor, may also need to feed oil as they age.

Key is to only buy 2009/2010 base with a stick, they get the best mileage, have the least rust and have most of the bugs worked out, front speakers break wires and the fuel lines rust by the rear wheel, honestly have less repairs and maintenance in mine than you would a Camry

What about a USPS delivery truck? They’re super reliable and have plenty of room in the back. Since it’s right hand drive, you wouldn’t have the temptation to go through fast food drive thrus as it wouldn’t be easy to pay/get the food on the left side. That’s the only car that has helath benefits too!
We had the contract for repairs on local USPS delivery trucks(Grumman LLV at the time)for awhile. They’re not reliable, they’re probably what keeps Jasper in business.

Remind us again how many years in a row it was on Car and Driver's 10 Best list?

Doesn't matter. The Honda fit, along with any Civic 2004 or older is a unrefined loud deathtrap on US roads.

Doesn't matter. The Honda fit, along with any Civic 2004 or older is a unrefined loud deathtrap on US roads.
2005 civic ex is loud death trap too. However it's cheap and reliable if you don't overheat it. I'd drive one, but not every day for hours on end. Some sound deadening mat would make these cars much more comfortable.

I’d be weary on a Toyota 4 cylinder from 07’-11’ they tended to burn oil because of the faulty rings. The 3.5 V6 doesn’t have a lot of issues from that era compared to the 2.5. Can’t go wrong with older Camrys and Corolla’s either. Same thing with Honda.

Last edited:
I really like my 2000 accord 5 speed 2.3. About 33-34 highway mpg, plenty comfortable and I use it to drive back and forth from kc to wichita consistently.

Over the years many owners reported that 0W40/5W40/10W40 decreases the oil consumption in the K-series motors. UOAs also look good on 40-grade and timing chain components don't require as many replacements, as compared to a 30-grade. Although the timing chain issues mostly are related to K20, and less to K24.
That’s been my experience. 5w40 in my 05 CR-V drastically reduces consumption compared to 5w30.

I really like my 2000 accord 5 speed 2.3. About 33-34 highway mpg, plenty comfortable and I use it to drive back and forth from kc to wichita consistently.
I had an Accord of that generation, a '99 five speed four door that we bought new for $16.8K.
These were really good examples of what Honda could do. Quick enough, fun to drive, comfortable on the interstate as well as around town and pretty economical with fuel. Good HVAC and strong AC with a pleasing interior and nice big chairs up front.
This was probably my favorite among the six Accords we've had. The stick was also the correct choice since the automatics in this generation were quite prone to failure at a young age, like less than 150K.

1996 Camry Wagon, 1 owner, $3600. Somebody save this thing, it needs to live with an enthusiast. It has the reverse 3rd row seats too!

Screenshot_20240317-194627~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240317-194629~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240317-194633~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240317-194635~2.jpg

210k miles, but it probably has a few thousands more left to give. That would be a fun ride.
As the (former) owner of the sedan version, I think you have a strange sense of "fun". I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I think we're in the minority. :ROFLMAO: If those are 14" rims then I have way "cooler" hubcaps (they weren't on my car when it got wrecked, so they sit on the shelf, all lonely).

If anything, there's a good argument for me not getting that, as it'd just get trashed on our roads.

As the (former) owner of the sedan version, I think you have a strange sense of "fun". I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I think we're in the minority. :ROFLMAO: If those are 14" rims then I have way "cooler" hubcaps (they weren't on my car when it got wrecked, so they sit on the shelf, all lonely).

If anything, there's a good argument for me not getting that, as it'd just get trashed on our roads.
I actually looked into buying a 1997 CE manual. People may not remember but back then there were zero Camrys on the lots when a new one came out. Similar to a BMW 3 coupe. People bought them off a list.

The 1997 had a boxier body and I actually liked the 1996 better.

In 2023 I saw a 1985 Camry on 676, which I thought was crazy! I knew it was an ‘85 cuz my parents had an ‘84. The ‘85 had flush headlamps while ‘83-‘84 had sealed beams

The 1997 had a boxier body and I actually liked the 1996 better.
I was very much not in Camry's when 1996 was in vogue but having only owned a '99 I did like that car. Which I think, in Toyota fashion, was basically the same car...

I sent the link to my wife. She hasn't said no... yet... :ROFLMAO: Back to looking at trucks instead (but they are neither low priced nor efficient).

Back