New Truck - Go with Diesel or....Gas model? Ford 3.5 Turbo took a dump.

Had to post this update on y bud's new 2023 Ford Super Duty. Great truck. He loves it with one exception - His dash went blank last week and he has no gauges.

Nice. $89k truck and no gauges. It's been at the Ford dealer for over a week. They claim they "know" what the issue is. (He calls them every day for the latest update.)

So far, they seem to be clueless. They told him the issue revolves around a "electrical part" that went bad and they ordered a new one. New part came in and it was the "wrong part". They said they were sorry. Mind you, this is a fairly large dealership here in the valley. Not some back woods affair.

All I can do at this point is shake my head.

The issue is that with the "max tow" package Ford states IT CAN TOW 11,000 pounds. Which is silly. He should be no more than around 7,000 pounds.
Completely agree. I had about 9500 on my hitch last year, WITH the Sumo Springs I have listed in the FS forum, and there were a few times I was reminded that if I did something stupid or if a tire blew… that trailer was running the show, full stop. The truck had no problem pulling or stopping the trailer; it was the fact that a 9500lb trailer makes quick work of a 5500lb truck if things go sideways, literally.

I finished the trip, vowed never to do that to myself or truck again, and pulled off the Sumo Springs, which were rated to add 1000lb capacity at 50% compression. Even with all that additional help and a properly distributed trailer, it squatted my rear down to about 3-4 fingers, double what the front was.

Well, clear evidence here that dealers are no longer in the situation that they were in 2021 when they had us over a barrel, and they're willing to deal. Useful for the community.

Anything else I could have said, has already been said, so I'll leave it at that.

Well ok one other thing, there's no way a couple of years ago this would have made sense due to the cost of diesel. But, in my area diesel is almost at parity with regular unleaded today, hope it stays that way for your friend's sake.
My initial thoughts aligned with yours. But then, we don't have numbers to know define what a "smokin deal" actually was. A smoking deal to the OP's buddy may not have been a smoking deal to you or me.

But like you, I was surprised they even chased the OP's buddy down to sell a new super duty diesel.

I'm not sure it's a deal of any sort! Both trucks (F150 and Super Duty) have screen issues.) Truck has been in service for over a week. You can't do anything with a truck that's just sitting there waiting for Ford to figure it out. If I were in the market, I'm pretty sure I'd be looking at vehicles. But that's just me. Something really irks me badly if I were to pay that kind of money for a brand new truck and couldn't drive it.

Supplemental comment. A few months ago I posted about a co worker who purchased a 2022 Chevrolet 3/4 ton on BITOG. I was amazed at how nice, clean, and simple the truck was both under the hood and the interior. Seemed a engine one could service very easily. And the interior was not all electronic, so even servicing things in the can seemed direct and very easy to do.

Ford and GM are the only options? That should narrow it down plenty for him, especially if he’s going to take your advice and stay away from any turbos and the coyotes. 🤔
You want suggestions? Ram with a 5.7l or a 6.4l. I will say that I am biased though. 😉🍻
If I needed a truck now it would be a Ram. I'm partial to the 5.7 eTorque design. GM cylinder deactivation if it's still operating as it did a few years ago has been problematic. For some reason specifically cylinder 6 likes to wipe out cam lobes according to the 3 guys I know with these trucks that all had the same problem. Ford hosed me on another vehicle, not my F150 and that left too sour of a taste in my mouth to have another Ford product. I've liked this latest Ram since it came out and if it had been out when I bought my F150 I would likely have had one of those instead. I may still have it if that was the case.

If I needed a truck now it would be a Ram. I'm partial to the 5.7 eTorque design. GM cylinder deactivation if it's still operating as it did a few years ago has been problematic. For some reason specifically cylinder 6 likes to wipe out cam lobes according to the 3 guys I know with these trucks that all had the same problem. Ford hosed me on another vehicle, not my F150 and that left too sour of a taste in my mouth to have another Ford product. I've liked this latest Ram since it came out and if it had been out when I bought my F150 I would likely have had one of those instead. I may still have it if that was the case.

I don't have one though and I don't need a truck so it wouldn't happen regardless.

Back