Ford 3.5 EB w/ timing rattle - buy or walk?

This is why some people like me prefer a basic V8 powertrain instead of the latest greatest V6 twin turbo inter cooled engines. Keep It Simple Stupid!
It’s far better when you buy used due to crazy high sticker prices…
Posts like these are comical. The Eco-Boost has been around for over 10 years and have been proven reliable. You should could extrapolate some interesting numbers on these turbos if one wanted to. Number of Ford Trucks sold last ten years/number of turbo motors/number of combined miles driven. HINT- IT'S A BIG NUMBER! If that's not enough-Europe has been using turbos for probably the last 50 years. KISS?
Nope that's for those who refuse to look forward.

I'm an expert at throwing good money after bad (see my projects), but that's way too worn out for the money

Run don't walk away 🏃‍♂️

Funny thing is I found another truck from a different dealer. I went to look up the location(an hour the other direction) on google maps and this chain rattle truck showed up on google street view lol. It was listed this past summer for $5995.

I know it’s the same rig because that’s an uncommon combo between the bed/cab/wheels/color/engine.

Attachments

• 59E5B182-B39F-4E55-AF5B-B913C4135E8B.jpg
    59E5B182-B39F-4E55-AF5B-B913C4135E8B.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 10
Posts like these are comical. The Eco-Boost has been around for over 10 years and have been proven reliable. You should could extrapolate some interesting numbers on these turbos if one wanted to. Number of Ford Trucks sold last ten years/number of turbo motors/number of combined miles driven. HINT- IT'S A BIG NUMBER! If that's not enough-Europe has been using turbos for probably the last 50 years. KISS?

Are the ‘15 3.5 EB better? I found a super clean XLT Crew cab 5.5’ bed from Pennsylvania. Not a spec of rust at all. 176k miles. No time to check it out but not sure if it’s even worth it due to seeing the early EB engines with the chain issue. If ford figured out the motor I would be willing to settle with the 5.5 bed just because its spotless underneath.

The 14th generation (15-20) are very solid trucks. I wouldn't completely dismiss a truck due to cold start rattle, it depends as they say. Can you do the labor? If so then it will help offset the 2000-2500 price of the phaser replacement. If not, does the price of the truck meet the threshold to make it worth it for you?

The 3.5 ecoboost is Ford's flagship engine. I don't know the percentage of engines that have the problem but its not high for sure. Your maintenance will be key to longevity with the ecoboost. The variable valve timing is an issue with all manufactures engines, the higher performance of the platform the more of an issue it can be.

The 14th generation (15-20) are very solid trucks. I wouldn't completely dismiss a truck due to cold start rattle, it depends as they say. Can you do the labor? If so then it will help offset the 2000-2500 price of the phaser replacement. If not, does the price of the truck meet the threshold to make it worth it for you?

The 3.5 ecoboost is Ford's flagship engine. I don't know the percentage of engines that have the problem but its not high for sure. Your maintenance will be key to longevity with the ecoboost. The variable valve timing is an issue with all manufactures engines, the higher performance of the platform the more of an issue it can be.
There is a fleet manager on here with many of the 3.5 trucks. He said those with can phaser issues were very few.

I can do the labor worse case scenario, it’s just I have no interest in tearing the motor apart. Especially within a couple months from now. Looking for something fairly trouble free for the next year or two.

The cab/bed config is very practical but with the rust, it’s not my first pick at the moment

No, that’s for people like me who have been fixing their own stuff for 50 years and have seen good & bad ideas come and go. If you think a twin turbo inter cooled engine won’t have higher service & repair costs well maybe not for the first owner but sooner or later that technology will take a big bite out of your wallet. Europe? Don’t make me laugh I can start on how little regard companies like Daimler Benz & BMW & VW/Audi have for repair costs & complexity. There is a reason why most people lease them here. Guess why?

Ended up getting a fully loaded ‘14 F150 XLT super cab 5.0 4x4, 6.5’ bed. The chrome package, leather seats, color, and factory HID lights got me interested.

Glad I waited out and didn’t hop on the ‘11 EB truck. I was very close to settling for the ‘13 2wd rig but I figured I run to this last place to check it out real quick. The 2wd was cleaner but still wasn’t rust free. Figured if I’m dealing with rust I might as well buy a rig I would enjoy being in. Will post pics once I take delivery

That’s what I prefer too. The only reason this ford is even considered is due to It’s cab/bed configuration. Otherwise I already think the turbo system is a whole set of headaches. All of that plastic that’ll eventually get brittle and start losing boost.

GM it is.
You do realize GM has been killing these “trusty V8s” like crazy with their active fuel management system, don’t you?

Back