NEW PRIUS RECALL COMING UP

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may seem hard to imagine but I'm thinking there are a large number of drivers who really don't know what neutral is. They never learned to drive a manual transmission and they never use that "N" position on the gearshift lever. It's either in P,D, or R.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
push button start was one of the dumbest things car makers have adopted.......whats wrong with using a simple key?
I couldn't agree more, even though many of my favorite cars are push button start. In an emergency, with push button start, you have to have the presence of mind to hold the button down for something like five seconds, something that can feel like an eternity when your heart is racing up in your throat!

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
NEW PRIUS RECALL COMING UP
CAPS LOCK IS LIKE CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Overrides turning the key to off? If so, then there is an issue...

If you'd ever driven a Prius before, you'd never have mentioned a key.

21.gif

So sue me... the stupid start/stop button that automakers swoon over because buyers think it is so "cool"...

How about some polite behavior, sir?

I'm leaving this thread. I can easily do without the "so sue me" types of personalities.

The TCU locks out neutral when the engine is at WOT.

To turn off the car you have to push and hold down the soft switch next to the steering wheel for 6 seconds. Not all owners know that.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Where is EKpolk in all of this? his beloved Prius is being trashed!

I've been wondering the same thing about our resident Pious owner.....

At this point Toyota needs to just issue a bulleten to wear helmets anytime you drive or ride in one, till they see how many models are effected. Everytime I pass one on 95, Iam waiting to see someone in a Toyota car wearing a helmet.

I have to wonder if the driver is stupid or what... How hard is it to put the car in neutral? OK, it is a different kind of drivetrain, maybe neutral is just a "false" setting with no mechanical linkage... What about turning the key to off, to kill a bunch of relays, likely including fuel? The batteries wont keep the car going at 90 for long...

Is it just me, or are these people trying too hard for lawsuits, when simple logic would kill the car pretty quick?

Automatic transmissions are computer controlled. The previous lexus driver put it in ALL GEARS and nothing happened.

Originally Posted By: rick9009
The TCU locks out neutral when the engine is at WOT.

To turn off the car you have to push and hold down the soft switch next to the steering wheel for 6 seconds. Not all owners know that.

I'm not familiar with Prius, but that makes no sense. What is the purpose of locking neutral out at WOT? It's not like there's a roller cammed 327 with an aluminum flywheel under the hood. And a six second delay? Why so long, what's wrong with 3 seconds? Do you own one of these vehicles?

The Prius doesn't actually have a neutral.

Neutral is one motor turning one way, the the other either stationary or turning too when the vehicle is moving.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The Prius doesn't actually have a neutral.

Neutral is one motor turning one way, the the other either stationary or turning too when the vehicle is moving.

Are you serious... no argument just curious.
No mechanical link neutral? Wow !!!
Now that's just asking for trouble.
What were they thinking???
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

(Caution sarcasm ahead)

Somebody wake me up and tell me this is GM's fault.

What I am afraid of that if they really have a engineering flaw that over time it will get worse. In other words a defect gets worse with time. What happens to these cars 5 years from now?

Funny how the drive is at fault. Granted there are certain things a driver can and should do, that is not the point. There is clearly a defect with these Toyota vehicles, and it is not the floor mats. I have a feeling many of the cars they have already addressed will be coming back with the same problems or worse, just give it some time.

What about 5 years from now? My guess is a several of them will be around with the problem that might have not presented itself, ticking time bombs. No I'm not bashing Toyota, but they do have a major problem on their hands. JMO

They interviewed the guy, said he didnt think to put it in neutral but was considering shutting the ignition off but was unsure if that would lock the column up and loose steering, so he opted not to.

I think people should be uspet that Toyota is back to the Floor Mat [censored] excuse. ALso the officer said the guy was definatley on the brakes as he saw the brake lights on and the brakes stunk.

I am glad this happened and the guy was safe, will keep the negative pressure on Toyota and force them to come clean.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
From what I have read the throttle overrides everything. So hitting brakes, shifting to neutral has no effect.
Sounds like a software programming issue.

Overrides turning the key to off? If so, then there is an issue...

Why should he defend it if he likes his?

On anothr note, the Hollywood Elite no longer consider the Prius to be the cool save the Planet car, guess they value their lives too much LOL

I wonder if the sales of Prius's will now tank and I assume the resale value will be lousey.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Cutehumor said:
Where is EKpolk in all of this? his beloved Prius is being trashed! [/quote
I've been wondering the same thing about our resident Pious owner.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back