New details in crash that prompted Toyota recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
New details in crash that prompted Toyota recall

A federal report finds a possible flaw in the gas pedal design of a runaway Lexus that crashed in August, killing CHP Officer Mark Saylor and three family members and leading to a massive recall.

By Ken Bensinger and Ralph Vartabedian
October 25, 2009

Federal highway safety inspectors have released new details of a fatal car crash that triggered Toyota Motor Corp.'s largest recall, including a finding that the Lexus ES 350 sedan involved had a gas pedal design that could increase the risk of its being obstructed by a floor mat.

Toyota has previously said that the floor mat was improperly installed and may have trapped the accelerator pedal, causing the vehicle to race down Highway 125 in suburban San Diego at more than 100 mph before crashing and bursting into flames, killing off-duty California Highway Patrol Officer Mark Saylor and three members of his family.

The report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration draws no conclusions about the cause of the Aug. 28 accident, but discloses new details, including the fact that the brakes were heavily damaged. That would seem to confirm a frantic 911 call made by Saylor's brother-in-law from the speeding car, during which he said, "There's no brakes."

A Times review of NHTSA documents in a past investigation of Lexus vehicles showed that the agency had found that the Lexus ES braking system loses power-assist when the throttle is fully opened, increasing braking distance fivefold.

The new NHTSA report also indicated that the Lexus' accelerator pedal design may have contributed to the risk of floor mat entrapment.

"Beyond the main pivot, the lever is not hinged and has no means for relieving forces caused by interferences," investigators found.

Toyota has said that among the remedies it is considering in the current recall is an adjustment to the pedals or their design.

The report also notes that the lower edge of the accelerator pedal was "bonded" to the rubber floor mat, shown in a grainy color photograph. The photograph also shows damage to the area of the floor mat surrounding the accelerator pedal.

Saylor owned a different Lexus that was being serviced at Bob Baker Lexus in El Cajon, and was given the 2009 ES 350 as a loaner the day of the accident. Toyota has indicated that the dealership incorrectly installed the mats.

A Toyota spokesman had no immediate comment Saturday. Executives with Bob Baker Lexus could not be reached for comment.

Federal investigators found that the auto had rubber all-weather floor mats for a Lexus RX400h, which is a sport utility vehicle, and that they were unsecured by the vehicle's retaining clips.

Toyota had previously stated that the mats were for a different Lexus vehicle, but had not said which model.

The NHTSA report found that one of the two clips on the Saylor vehicles had pulled out of the carpeting and was lying under the floor mat. The other clip was still attached to the carpeting, but not hooked into the floor mat.

In addition, the vehicle's brake surfaces showed signs that they had been worn down through heavy braking against the full force of the 272-horsepower Lexus engine.

"Rotors were discolored and heated, had very rough surfaces, had substantial deposits of brake pad material, and showed signs of bright orange oxidation on the cooling fins consistent with endured braking," the report said.

NHTSA investigators also noted that instructions for operating the car's keyless ignition, which requires that the power button be pressed for three full seconds to turn off the engine while the car is moving, were "not indicated on the dashboard."

The San Diego County Sheriff's Department is leading the investigation of the crash and has not yet released a final report. The NHTSA report indicated that the Sheriff's Department had recovered an electronic data recorder from the wreck, but that "no attempts to retrieve data from the EDR have yet been made."

Sheriff's Lt. Julie Sutton said Saturday that the department has no comment on the NHTSA report, adding that it is not releasing any more information about the crash at this time.

Last month, Toyota announced the largest recall in its history, asking drivers of 3.8 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles to remove their floor mats until a permanent remedy is devised.

The recall affects the following Toyota models: the 2007 to 2010 Camry, 2005 to 2010 Avalon, the 2004 to 2009 Prius, the 2005 to 2010 Tacoma, and the 2007 to 2010 Tundra.

It also affects the following Lexus models: the 2007 to 2010 ES 350, and the 2006 to 2010 IS 250 and IS 350.

[email protected]

ralph.vartabedian @latimes.com

Hopefully every automaker learns from what went wrong here. Electric powered break boosters are sounding like a decent idea right now.

Cars with these push-buttons starters need a kill switch just like my Harley has.

Why didn't they put the car in neutral? I guess i have owned enough junk That you learn too deal with a stuck throttle. My condolence to the family. R.I.P.

Originally Posted By: wapacz
Hopefully every automaker learns from what went wrong here. Electric powered break boosters are sounding like a decent idea right now.

They might be, but in this case they wouldn't have helped. The driver was able to exert enough force to pretty well wear out the brakes.
I agree that a simple kill switch should be mandated on every vehicle with any type of exotic start system. Make it a plastic guard covered red panic button.

So reading the owners manual could have saved all these lifes (or a BIG sticker on the keyless dash telling you how to turn off the engine).

Oh goody, another bright big sticker on the dash. They will look good next to the airbag and nav stickers.

Sounds like the manual was not read, the stealership installed the wrong mats and everyone is going to be paying big $$ in law suits.

I don't know, I've had a stuck throttle once on the freeway and just turned off the engine. Lost the power steering and brakes but go off the side of the road safely.

You'd think a CHP would have a idea to get whatever is jamming the gas pedal, turn off the engine and such on his to do list without panic.

Sad situation.

Bill

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ

They might be, but in this case they wouldn't have helped. The driver was able to exert enough force to pretty well wear out the brakes.
I agree that a simple kill switch should be mandated on every vehicle with any type of exotic start system. Make it a plastic guard covered red panic button.

Its already there...

PRESS AND HOLD FOR 3 SECONDS THE ENGINE START BUTTON.

Wola! No engine....

Electric powered break boosters are sounding like a decent idea right now.

Why electric? My Saab 93 has a vacuum pump for the brakes, powered off the engine.

There's also hydroboost brakes.

Bill, did you miss the fact about this being a loaner car?

They tried to turn it off but did not know about the several seconds rule. I asked my coworker with a new Lexus and she did not know it either.

I'm glad I have ignition keys in my cars.

Ignition keys are so passé.

Well, unless your car is accelerating out of control. Then you might appreciate the old-fashioned ignition key a bit more.

Originally Posted By: brianl703

Why electric? My Saab 93 has a vacuum pump for the brakes, powered off the engine.

Hello? Vacuum powered brakes lost power due to full throttle (no vac with the throttle open!)

Your pump powered brakes are on a Saab, not a Lexus. Think about that.

A truly sad situation, but something easily avoided by switching off, putting into neutral, etc.

Sounds like a panic issue, my condolences to the families.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Hello? Vacuum powered brakes lost power due to full throttle (no vac with the throttle open!)

Yes. You do not need to restate that for my benefit, as I already understand it.

Quote:
Your pump powered brakes are on a Saab, not a Lexus. Think about that.

It's required on the Saab due to it being turbocharged, but there is no reason a vacuum pump couldn't work on a normally aspirated engine.

Originally Posted By: brianl703

Figured everything else is going electric on cars it seems.

I'd like to see the silly keyless ignition "feature" go away. There is no logical need for it and it's counter-intuitive to most drivers. Everyone knows how to use a key to start & stop an engine.

I don't think a kill switch is the answer. It's yet another thing drivers must learn and is also counter-intuitive. Besides, where would automakers install it where drivers could reach it easily but not hit it accidentally? The steering wheel is obvious but aren't there enough buttons on wheels to begin with?

Switching off the engine is the right thing to do. You still have steering and braking ability, just not assisted. Putting the trans in Neutral will lead to engine damage and an engine racing at high RPM will frighten some drivers already scared by a stuck throttle.

When your car is careening out of control, thinking clearly enough to hold a button for 3 seconds is not going to happen. Time to ditch this dumb thing and go back to what every driver knows.

Vacuum assist has the advantage that it's not dependent on the electrical system--an engine (or brake vacuum pump) will produce vacuum as long as it's still turning. No electricity needed for that.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Bill, did you miss the fact about this being a loaner car?

They tried to turn it off but did not know about the several seconds rule. I asked my coworker with a new Lexus and she did not know it either.

I'm glad I have ignition keys in my cars.

I did. But still you are responsible on how to operate a vehicle.

It could be your life. And others.

These push button starts are so stupid but they make the elite feel so much better that's why they are there.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
I'd like to see the silly keyless ignition "feature" go away. There is no logical need for it and it's counter-intuitive to most drivers. Everyone knows how to use a key to start & stop an engine.

I agree. They could still have the start button, just have a key also (like a John Deere tractor). Put the key in the switch, turn it to the right one click, then press the button to start. To turn the engine off, just turn the key left one click.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Putting the trans in Neutral will lead to engine damage and an engine racing at high RPM will frighten some drivers already scared by a stuck throttle.

I will take a blown engine and being alive over a non blown engine and dead any day.

I think most cars have a rev limiter for the engine when the transmission is in neutral (if they're automatic). 4000RPM seems to be what it's commonly set for.

I wish to express condolences to the family.

With that said why do we need all this "Progress". Key type ignition switches have been with us for years and years, everyone is used to how they work, but no we have to go with a push button and the buyer has to read the owners manual, ya like thats gonna work.

What if you buy this car as a used one, ever see an owners manual in a used car? Not often.

Solution is to put a sticker on the dash, now thats neat, it'll go right along with the modern styling. Dash gonna end up looking like a NASCAR car.

Same thing with the new electronic throttle controls, cable's have worked forever, but no we now have to "Progress" to an electronic pedal/throttle with the lag time.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth and 2 cents isn't worth much nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back