NEW PRIUS RECALL COMING UP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me first say, I acknowledge there is a problem and some have sadly lost their life because of it.

I think some will agree, for example if you set your cruise control for lets say the legal speed limit on any highway during the day and then attempt to drive 30 miles without having to tap the brakes several times to disengage the cruise due to approaching cars is impossible. Now try it at 90+ and use your cell phone during that time with no means to slow the car down, I think he would have crashed and burned long before the police officer got there.. I'm sorry I just don't buy into this latest incident.

It's just my opinion, no need to comment or prove me wrong, I really don't care.

From AP: "Neibert (the CHP officer) told Sikes (the Prius driver) after the CHP caught up with him to shift to neutral but the driver shook his head no. Sikes told reporters he didn't go into neutral because he worried the car would flip."

Seriously, are drivers that ignorant about Neutral??? Do people not know what Neutral's one and ONLY purpose is? It is not going to flip your freakin car

Last edited:
So let me get this straight.... The 911 operator, the police officer, the guy are all lying? Yeah ok dude whatever. If traffic isn't that bad, 90 is not really all that fast. I would like to think I, my parents, could handle 90 and cell phone. Obviously the officer was following him and if you say that the officer is blowing smoke.... Whatever dude.

I don't understand it. It cannot POSSIBLY be the fault of the car. It HAS to be the drivers fault. Cars never break, nothing ever happens, this whole UA thing is a giant mass delusion and conspiracy meant to drive the US toward protectionism.
/sarcasm off

Originally Posted By: jazeo
Let me first say, I acknowledge there is a problem and some have sadly lost their life because of it.

I think some will agree, for example if you set your cruise control for lets say the legal speed limit on any highway during the day and then attempt to drive 30 miles without having to tap the brakes several times to disengage the cruise due to approaching cars is impossible. Now try it at 90+ and use your cell phone during that time with no means to slow the car down, I think he would have crashed and burned long before the police officer got there.. I'm sorry I just don't buy into this latest incident.

It's just my opinion, no need to comment or prove me wrong, I really don't care.

Please put your keen insite to work and tell us what this lady did wrong. Do you "buy" this womans story?....

http://www.freep.com/article/20100309/BUSINESS0104/100309064/1318/

btw, if you cant handle doing 90 on a freeway, you better stay out of Michigan, and outta the left lane altogether. You'll be in the way of a lot of people, I drive 70-75 and get passed constantly.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna

So let me get this straight.... The 911 operator, the police officer, the guy are all lying? Yeah ok dude whatever. If traffic isn't that bad, 90 is not really all that fast. I would like to think I, my parents, could handle 90 and cell phone. Obviously the officer was following him and if you say that the officer is blowing smoke.... Whatever dude.

I don't understand it. It cannot POSSIBLY be the fault of the car. It HAS to be the drivers fault. Cars never break, nothing ever happens, this whole UA thing is a giant mass delusion and conspiracy meant to drive the US toward protectionism.
/sarcasm off

I think you missed my point or didn't fully understand my comment. I believe your the person that recently vacationed in FL, on your trip home, on I4 or I95 could you or your dad have driven 30 miles with the cruise on set at any speed and not once had to disengage it because of obstacles/cars in your way??? If you approached a car and tapped the brake and nothing happened what would be the outcome.

Like I said, I just don't buy THIS latest incident.

I think you missed my point or didn't fully understand my comment. I believe your the person that recently vacationed in FL, on your trip home, on I4 or I95 could you or your dad have driven 30 miles with the cruise on set at any speed and not once had to disengage it because of obstacles/cars in your way??? If you approached a car and tapped the brake and nothing happened what would be the outcome.

Yes, and I did. For most of SC I could have the cruise set at about 77, 78 and hardly ever have to touch the brake. And that was usually because I was in the center lane and someone was overtaking me on the left and I had to slow down to wait to merge into the fast lane. At 90 I doubt I would have that issue.

Yes, and I did. For most of SC I could have the cruise set at about 77, 78 and hardly ever have to touch the brake. And that was usually because I was in the center lane and someone was overtaking me on the left and I had to slow down to wait to merge into the fast lane. At 90 I doubt I would have that issue.

Okay your right, I give up :)

I watched an interview with the CHP officer involved in this incident, and also read about it on WSJ.com. He says he witnessed the Prius's brake lights on, without the car slowing much at all, and that when it finally stopped, and he exited his patrol car, and walked up to the Prius, that he could smell the overheated brakes on the Prius. That seems very plausible to me, considering how easy it can be on many cars to overheat the OEM brakes If I'm not mistaken, once most cars brakes overheat, brake fade is pretty bad, bad enough to drastically reduce their effectiveness, especially at freeway speeds.

FYI, phone calls can be made with hands on the wheel...just push the phone call button.

You Experts and Know-it-Alls that are blaming the drivers, please volunteer to show us all how it's done. Get it up to 90 mph in traffic and show us how it's done. We're all interested and are on the edge of our seats.

Besides, we all know the Prius faults are caused by the electronic emissions coming from the black helicopters hovering overhead.

This is a perfect time to speed in a toyota, just tell the officer that your gas pedal got stuck.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: mikered30
He thought the car would flip if he put it in neutral, that speaks volumes.

Most people do not understand in the slightest what is going on under the hood of the car. Most people probably think neutral is like park.

Most people do not understand in the slightest what is going on under the hood of the car. Most people probably think neutral is like park.

+1

Many drivers of automatic transmission cars/trucks only use P(ark), R(everse) and D(rive). Many of them never shift to Neutral for any reason.

Of course, that doesn't exclude them from being a moron as well. Einstein said "only 2 things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the universe".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back