Toyota recalling 760,000 RAV4's due to crash risk

Status
Not open for further replies.
From CNN:

Toyota recalling 760,000 RAV4's due to crash risk

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Toyota announced the recall Wednesday of some 778,000 vehicles in the United States due to a suspension problem that could cause crashes.
The recall comprises roughly 760,000 Toyota RAV4's from model years 2006 to 2011, as well as about 18,000 Lexus HS 250h's from 2010.

Toyota said that if the nuts on the rear suspension arms of these vehicles aren't tightened properly during a wheel alignment service, the arms may come loose or separate.
Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons said that so far in the United States, there have been "nine crashes and three minor injuries alleged to be related to this condition."
In addition to the United States, some 99,000 RAV4's and 1,000 HS 250h's in Canada are being recalled, though no other markets are involved, Lyons said.
The affected drivers may notice a strange noise coming from the rear of their vehicles, Toyota said. The company said it's "preparing the remedy" for the problem, to be performed by dealers at no charge, and will provide further information for car owners by mail.

In June, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation into potential rear suspension failure in an estimated 460,000 RAV4's from between 2006 and 2008.
A NHTSA spokeswoman said the agency "is in contact with Toyota regarding its recall and urges consumers to have their vehicles serviced promptly."
"The agency's investigation remains open pending review of documentation from the manufacturer," the spokeswoman added.
Lyons said Toyota's own investigation preceded the NHTSA probe.

Link To Article

sounds like ham-fisted mechanics are more to blame than Toyota.

that being said I will recommend my GF take hers in as soon as she gets the letter...

Last edited:
No. It sounds like the torque specs published by the manufacturer are wrong, or, once the bolts are loosened, they cannot be retorqued properly, so a modification to the rear arms may be required.
You don't have to wait for a letter to take a vehicle in for a recall. The dealer can look up an open campaign on a vehicle in their warranty database. If the campaign is on the news, it has probably been in effect for a month or longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
quick fix, dont buy them anymore, unless your ego must have one.

I cannot imagine anyone with an ego actually buying a Toyota.

Interesting. I was thinking about RAV4's again today, when I realized the seat heater in my VW has a gremlin (I expect the heater to be off when the control says off--silly me).

Dislike the Rav4 because of the spare tire eyesore. As far as the recall brand bashing is childish, brand loyalty is nothing more than blind faith. They all have one problem or another. Just because somebody doesn't experience a problem doesn't mean the car is flawless, doesn't mean the TSB's lurking don't exist. I applaud manufacturers for doing what they are supposed to do and taking a hit to their profits on a recall.

I think the intention of the OP was an FYI, so I'm not suggesting anything just commenting.

TOYOTA Ego?

LOOK AT ME IN MY TOYOTA!!! YOU PEASANTS CAN'T HAVE ONE!! BAHAHAHAHAHA (As I toss burning $100 bills out of my window)

Thats all kinds of funny!!

My sister has one and has had 120k flawless miles except one thing Toyota did not cover. A steering column issue that apparently is common. She likes it, I personally think its pretty cheap and low rent inside and a yawn to drive.

At the very least it has a "software" center diff locker for the AWD(<25 via a switch) which makes it good in difficult conditions. The rest of small SUV's AWD except Subaru are dreadful including Equinox and CRV both getting stuck in tough stuff we have at family's ski getaway.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
My sister has one and has had 120k flawless miles except one thing Toyota did not cover. A steering column issue that apparently is common. She likes it, I personally think its pretty cheap and low rent inside and a yawn to drive.

At the very least it has a "software" center diff locker for the AWD(div>

That center lock is my main reason for looking at it; well that and it'd be the same I4 as my Camry. Which seems like a decent motor so far. Anyhow, a center lock for when I know I'm in deep(er) snow would be great; I'm not enamored with the notion of waiting for wheel slip before apply power to all wheels.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

I think the intention of the OP was an FYI, so I'm not suggesting anything just commenting.

Yep, just a FYI about the recall to anyone that has a RAV4.

So long as the silicon doesn't drip down the shaft near the knuckle below. Can get into the shaft and dilute the internal grease. I grease the boot hole with white lithium or something else to prevent that from happening. The shaft has a special grease I use the kit for.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

I cannot imagine anyone with an ego actually buying a Toyota.
lol

This a simple fix and or test for all rv 4 wheeler autos and such, give a rav4 to a 18 year old and turn him loose in the desert or woods for some serious 4 wheeling. No roll overs, no hitting trees, just some bouncing and airborne activity with it. If it can survive that, you got a good ride, well at least they will find the weak points to make improvments. I realize an 18 year old can tear up a bowling ball, but hey, what the snell. ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back