NEW PRIUS RECALL COMING UP

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...DNewsCollection

Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday that the Prius involved in a highly publicized acceleration incident on a California freeway along with many others will be the subject of a future recall to prevent floor mats from pinning down the gas pedal.

On Monday, James Sikes, 61 years old, called 911 for help after his 2008 Prius accelerated to more than 90 miles per hour near San Diego and he couldn't slow it down.

"I pushed the gas pedal to pass a car and it did something kind of funny ... it jumped and it just stuck there," Mr. Sikes said at a news conference, according to the Associated Press. "I was trying the brakes ... it wasn't stopping, it wasn't doing anything and it just kept speeding up,'' Mr. Sikes said, adding he could smell the brakes burning.

James Sikes was driving his Toyota Prius when the accelerator stuck, he says.

A California Highway Patrol officer caught up to the Prius and advised the driver to apply both the brakes and emergency brake to slow the vehicle. Eventually, Mr. Sikes was able to shut the engine off and stop the vehicle. The patrolman pulled his car in front of the Prius as a precaution. Mr. Sikes was unhurt.

Toyota has recalled various model years of the Toyota Camry and Avalon sedans and the Lexus ES sedan to reshape the floor and gas pedals to prevent unsecured or ill-fitting floor mats from trapping the pedal in an open position.

Brian Lyons, a Toyota spokesman, said Toyota plans to recall Prius hybrids from the 2004 to 2009 model years to address the same issue. Mr. Sikes's car is a 2008 Prius.

The recall hasn't been issued yet because Toyota "hasn't developed the remedy yet," Mr. Lyons said.
Escalating Problem

The spokesman said Toyota had previously announced that the 2004 to 2009 Priuses will be subject to a recall.

Toyota is sending engineers look to look at Mr. Sikes's car, the company said Tuesday. The Transportation Department is also sending an investigator to inspect the vehicle and gather information on the incident.

The incident took place a few hours after the auto maker concluded a detailed media presentation intended to rebut critics who suggest electrical problems could be causing its vehicles to speed up without drivers depressing the accelerator.

Reports of unintended acceleration have prompted Toyota to recall more than six million vehicles in the U.S. The recalls fix floor mats and gas pedals that can get stuck—the cause, according to the company, of the sudden-acceleration complaints.

For weeks, Toyota has tried to tamp down concern about the safety of its vehicles and rebut suggestions it did not react quickly enough to reports of sudden acceleration, including some that involved fatalities. But news of new, unrelated recalls and tense testimony by Toyota executives before Congress last month have kept the company on the defense.

"Toyota learned of a report that a California Highway Patrol (CHP) unit was dispatched in response to a 911 call from a motorist driving a Prius on Interstate 8 in San Diego County who said the accelerator pedal was stuck," the company said in a brief statement.

Olivia Alair, a Transportation Department spokeswoman, said in a separate statement that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is flying an investigator to California to look for potential causes of the incident.

Write to Neal E. Boudette at [email protected] and Josh Mitchell at [email protected]

I have to wonder if the driver is stupid or what... How hard is it to put the car in neutral? OK, it is a different kind of drivetrain, maybe neutral is just a "false" setting with no mechanical linkage... What about turning the key to off, to kill a bunch of relays, likely including fuel? The batteries wont keep the car going at 90 for long...

Is it just me, or are these people trying too hard for lawsuits, when simple logic would kill the car pretty quick?

Does any one know how these floor mats are getting stuck so badly that a foot nudge couldn't easily dislodge the pedal, or is this simply the small percentage of people who have no common sense; people who can't think outside of the box - the box being that there are two pedals, one to go and one to stop - when it comes to emergency situations?

I know this all sounds bad for Toyota, but I do truly wonder if it's a bad design coupled with these people's inability to cope with any situation other than all-systems-nominal.

Last edited:
I can understand that there may be a bad design portion of it... I know in my saab and MB, the radio dial will keep taking volume up if I turn it downward abruptly. Software gets bugs, screwey loops, etc., I get that.

But frankly, in a two-pedal car, one can even easily finagle the brake and throttle - there is space and you have two feet. If people are so inept that they cannot comprehend hitting some sort of kill switch, key, neutral setting, etc. should really be making up the defecits in public transit instead. Give them a free bus pass - we will all be safer for it.

From what I have read the throttle overrides everything. So hitting brakes, shifting to neutral has no effect.
Sounds like a software programming issue.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Give them a free bus pass - we will all be safer for it.

Would that apply to just this "stupid" Toyota driver or every "stupid" Toyota owner?

For the record stupid is the word you used, not one of my choosing.....merely used for effect.

Last edited:
They ever follow up on that accident that involved a fatal crash into a lake? Or was it a pond?

Anyways, I remember the report saying the floor mats where found in the trunk.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
From what I have read the throttle overrides everything. So hitting brakes, shifting to neutral has no effect.

Overrides turning the key to off? If so, then there is an issue...

theres no key to turn off.

If you'd ever driven a Prius before, you'd never have mentioned a key.

21.gif

I love how everyone is blaming the driver. I highly doubt he is that stupid, or he is doing it to earn bad toyota publicity. I think this is further evidence of real problems with toyotas electronic control, since obviously the prius does not use the part that Toyota was blaming.

Why wouldn't he be able to use his phone? 90 isn't THAT fast, and how hard is it do dial 911, especially on a phone with a real keypad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rudolphna

Why wouldn't he be able to use his phone? 90 isn't THAT fast, and how hard is it do dial 911, especially on a phone with a real keypad.

The difficulty comes into play when trying to make a call with an out of control vehicle going 90 mph.

It takes a distraction of very little time to cause an accident.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Does any one know how these floor mats are getting stuck so badly that a foot nudge couldn't easily dislodge the pedal

The gas pedal has no pivot.

Originally Posted By: Paul56

The difficulty comes into play when trying to make a call with an out of control vehicle going 90 mph.

\

But the minimal distraction of dialing a phone at 90 does not necessarily GARUNTEE that an accident will occur.

Originally Posted By: Paul56

\

But the minimal distraction of dialing a phone at 90 does not necessarily GARUNTEE that an accident will occur.

The behavior most definitely ups the odds significantly... and much more so in this situation given the driver unexpectedly finds himself wrestling with an out of control vehicle.

I can't imagine that being true but if it is, they should pull all of them off the road and Toyota should offer a buy-back.

Ok, so I just watched an interview of the guy... He said he was afraid to put it in neutral because he was afraid to take his hands off the wheel. Riiiight. And when did he get on the cell phone?

Toyota is in deep deep do-do.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

If you'd ever driven a Prius before, you'd never have mentioned a key.

21.gif

So sue me... the stupid start/stop button that automakers swoon over because buyers think it is so "cool"...

I'd certainly hope there is an override.

And prius aside - this also effects what? the corolla, camry, matrix, etc. So in a more general sense, which was my overall point, there should still be a key on some of the models. And probably a mechanically linked neutral position on the AT selector too. And again, a button should serve the same purpose as a key - otherwise there are issues.

push button start was one of the dumbest things car makers have adopted.......whats wrong with using a simple key?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back