New details in crash that prompted Toyota recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said on the previous thread, a sticking throttle is not a new phenomenon. When cars had real live throttle cables, sometimes they would stick.

You had to know how to turn off the engine or put the car in neutral.

I learned this years ago in drivers ed.

We've already established that one can put the Lexus into N, even if the owners manual says don't. A highly trained driver should have been able to put it in neutral and maintain control over the vehicle, or down shift.

I'm not saying the dealership had no liability. If they put the wrong floor mats in there, they own some of this. So does Toyota for their accelerator pedal design, and so does the driver for not being familiar with the vehicle.

Of course, most won't hold the driver responsible for any of it because the driver doesn't have deep pockets. So Toyota and perhaps the dealer will end up paying the full brunt of this.

This is not unique to Toyota. Ford paid when folks didn't check the air pressure in their Explorer tires. Ford did specify a low pressure, yet folks likely let it fall way below that, and they paid the price when using the Firestone tires.

I guess I should say Firestone paid dearly as well, since Ford used their tires at that low pressure, and Firestone ended up with the black eye and lost sales due to how they were seen in the marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back