New Firearms CLP or Lube You Want To Try ?

Went shooting yesterday, and I figure I went through close to 300 rounds. The Lucas stayed put and stayed clean without need for topping up. Haven't cleaned the pistol yet, but I'm thinking I'll stick with the Lucas oil.
I spoke with Bruce Gray about the lucas extreme, since Team Sig went to it. He said the broken parts on those high usage guns were significantly lower using it than other products. Lucas Exteeme has a very high zddp percentage. Not the most high tech, but it works great.

Incorrect.

The coupons for testing per Section 4.3.1 are Zinc, Aluminum, Brass and Steel.

And, MIL-PRF-63460E is cancelled, replaced by F.
...and it is for protection, and loss of mass equals a fail...

Revision F just states, in short, that the product must be at least 33% biobased and some performance characteristics in the tests have been lowered, such as the Falex test beginning at 250# instead of the standard 300#.

Last edited:
...and it is for protection, and loss of mass equals a fail...

Revision F just states, in short, that the product must be at least 33% biobased and some performance characteristics in the tests have been lowered, such as the Falex test beginning at 250# instead of the standard 300#.
Again, where does it state copper as a test coupon?

I spoke with Bruce Gray about the lucas extreme, since Team Sig went to it. He said the broken parts on those high usage guns were significantly lower using it than other products. Lucas Exteeme has a very high zddp percentage. Not the most high tech, but it works great.
I'm actually testing Red Line assembly grease right now. So far it seems to have excellent cling properties and doesn't run. The film it's leaving behind is similar to that of the Lucas. I like both of them but the Lucas does run a bit, and honestly I don't care for the scent. The Red Line is practically odorless. I've got plenty of both, so if need be switching around is no problem.

Again, where does it state copper as a test coupon?
Screenshot_20211219-194741_Drive.jpg

That's mistake from the people that updated the spec after they ran out of amendments, as they obviously did not talk to the ammo guys. 5.56mm and 7.62mm EPR rounds have a copper fouling issue in the barrel (and accelerated barrel wear), which even though there is a de-coppering agent in the propellant, it's still not enough to mitigate the copper fouling. It's even worse with tracers.

And it's going to get worse with the Army's Green Primer initiative to make EPR rounds fully green, along with Next Gen Ammo.

lead has a magical property to mitigate copper fouling.

That's mistake from the people that updated the spec after they ran out of amendments, as they obviously did not talk to the ammo guys. 5.56mm and 7.62mm EPR rounds have a copper fouling issue in the barrel (and accelerated barrel wear), which even though there is a de-coppering agent in the propellant, it's still not enough to mitigate the copper fouling. It's even worse with tracers.

And it's going to get worse with the Army's Green Primer initiative to make EPR rounds fully green, along with Next Gen Ammo.

lead has a magical property to mitigate copper fouling.
I haven't seen any issue with EPR causing increased fouling, although I only shot 100-200 rounds through my rifle. Why would it?

ATF, motor oil , Gear lube for the 1911 slides , or what ever spray lube I have around.

STP as in STP oil treatment? Do you also use this as a cleaner as well as a lube?
Yes, STP oil treatment. It helps the lube cling to surfaces and not run off. No, I’ve never used it as a cleaner. My home brew cleaner is just an equal mix of ATF, kerosene and mineral spirits. Basically Ed’s Red without the acetone.

I cleaned my pistol last night and swapped out the Redline assembly grease for Lucas Extreme gun oil again. My findings are the Redline stays where it's put, but the Lucas also stays where it's put. Diligent placement of the oil lessens the likelihood of it running out of the slide. The slide racks easier with the Lucas.

Back