New Firearms CLP or Lube You Want To Try ?

Currently like most shooters - less shooting and more clean , lube & protect of firearms ... Is there a new to you CLP or lube you want to try or are you happy with your proven favorite still ? For me , I am waiting on a gift card or a sale so I can try G96 otherwise FP10 is in use - especially when the wife is near so I don't get complaints about the smell !

I have stuck with the original CLP for many years and thousands upon thousands of rounds in multiple handgun, shotgun, and rifles. When I need a slide lube I use "SlideGlide" and I decopper with WipeOut. I have a bottle of Sweet's for a decade but can't get away from how good WipeOut os for that application.

I have been a G96 user for decades. If the barrel is really dirty, I use Hoppes Original but then always follow up with G96 before I store the firearm.

I’m new to this, but have been using Slip 2000 EWL as it came in a cleaning kit I bought. Seems to work well, a little goes a long way with it.

On this side of the pond yeah it's mostly Napier products with their VP90 corrosion protection. However this leaves the shotgun wet so I am hoping to try out Hornady One Shot on the semi's autos.

I got some Forward Controls Design "Snake Oil" and am using it to very good effect on my less fouling weapons, like unsuppressed pistols, semi-auto shotguns, etc.

I really don't use just one type clp or oil; I buy whatever is relatively inexpensive or on sale or clearance and put it in a 2 liter soda bottle with leftover oil after frankenbrewing leftover & new oils for motorcycle oil changes

I use a bottle of rem oil and Lucas gun oil, both were bought about 15 years ago. Probably a lifetime supply if I stay in the gun unfriendly state I reside in.

Currently like most shooters - less shooting and more clean , lube & protect of firearms ... Is there a new to you CLP or lube you want to try or are you happy with your proven favorite still ? For me , I am waiting on a gift card or a sale so I can try G96 otherwise FP10 is in use - especially when the wife is near so I don't get complaints about the smell !
ChrisD46,
I enjoyed your rust experiment using an old rotor.
I found the poor results with silicone to be particularly enlightening (or reaffirming).

Its great for treating wood but I prefer a light gun oil on the steel.

As for these CLP products, I don’t understand why anyone uses them outside of a military environment. They are a shortcut.

Perhaps someone can explain to this old fashioned guy why a solvent strong enough to remove copper, lead and powder fouling from a quality firearm can also be approved to remain on the steel for storage. Isn’t that essentially what products like CLP are designed for?

Thanks

As a response to the general theme of this thread which appears to be saving a few dollars on products which protect firearms worth $1,000’s or that your life might very well depend on.

All I can say is, “Are you guys kidding?”

As a response to the general theme of this thread which appears to be saving a few dollars on products which protect firearms worth $1,000’s or that your life might very well depend on.

What makes gun oil better than engine oil? Guns don't have near the load that an engine has.

@High Performance Lubricants makes a gun lube and CLP. That's what I use.

DSC05482-Resized2k.JPG

The converse is more accurate. It's not "saving a few dollars," as much as not overpaying by 100% for a worse product than nearly free motor oil droppings. Why would you risk your life putting some overpriced snake oil on your firearm when the best product is packaged for automobiles at lower pricing?

Guns and cars are mechanical machines that operate in hot and cold high "rpm" scenarios. What makes gun oil so special that auto makers and oil makers have failed to transition to gun oil to lubricate Formula race cars and production street cars in excess of many tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars? The auto lube industry spends probably many billions of dollars annually on developing engine oils for race cars and high mileage cars, and to meet auto makers warranty needs. IOW, if froglube was so amazing, Mobil1 would be using it in BMWs. They are not.

Car engines run at higher RPMs and far tighter tolerances with sustained 200+ degree heat and are placed under far more stress, pressure, etc. than the workings of most any firearms. Subjected to freezing cold long term storage and heat that would cook a chicken for dinner. Required to sustain tens of hours of continual high rpm use without evaporating, turning to gel, or failing. Show me a gun that could possibly do such a thing, or any gun oil that would not evaporate under such conditions of firing 1 million rounds representing a cross country drive in a car with 1 million RPMs.

Gun oils are, at best, just repackaged motor oils. At worst, they are junk mineral spirits or organic formulas that can cause damage or fail to prevent damage. And you're paying 100x the amount when you pay $15 for 4oz of gun lube, when you can get 32 oz. of premium motor oil for $1 regularly. I bought 350 qts. of premium motor oil today alone, for about 80 cents per qt. which proves the point.

Back