NEW 3/17/23, Quaker State Ultimate Protection FS w/20k mi or 1 yr guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Walmart now has 5 qt jugs of 5w20, 5w30 and the 0w20. They have them in quarts too for $7.12. Still no mention of it on QS website but they still have a page for the old QSUD.

I’m tempted to try it for my next oil change coming up. But I still have a bunch of Pennzoil Platinum left.

Last edited:
$23.98? I haven’t been to Walmart in quite a while (thank god), but last I was there, I believe $23.98 would be the lowest priced 5 quart jug of synthetic they have on the shelf? Am I wrong? Or is Super Tech less than that?

But the last time I was in Walmart one of the workers by the door was loudly complaining that “there’s another one questioning why I‘m asking to see their receipt”. This went on for a loud five minutes, before I said...they’re questioning it because legally they don’t have to show you that receipt, it’s their property at that point, and if you suspect theft you can retain them and call the police, but they can legally refuse to show you their receipt if they want. She said I was wrong, and then told me to go F myself. Right in front of everyone. Never had that happen before😁😁
Well... there are different cultural norms depending on which Walmart you visit. In New York Ci
$23.98? I haven’t been to Walmart in quite a while (thank god), but last I was there, I believe $23.98 would be the lowest priced 5 quart jug of synthetic they have on the shelf? Am I wrong? Or is Super Tech less than that?

But the last time I was in Walmart one of the workers by the door was loudly complaining that “there’s another one questioning why I‘m asking to see their receipt”. This went on for a loud five minutes, before I said...they’re questioning it because legally they don’t have to show you that receipt, it’s their property at that point, and if you suspect theft you can retain them and call the police, but they can legally refuse to show you their receipt if they want. She said I was wrong, and then told me to go F myself. Right in front of everyone. Never had that happen before😁😁
I bought 30 quarts of Kirkland 5W-30 synthetic for $19 per 5-quart jug. I had a $500 Costco gift certificate which was part of the calculus but about $20 per 5-quart is the bottom end of the upper end around here.

Aren't VW 504/507 oils 20k miles oils?
They are tested and rated to 650 engine hours. Just multiply your average speed by those 650hrs and get the miles.
Say your average speed is 30m/h, 650*30=19500 miles.
Where average speed takes into consideration not only time you move but also when you idle.

But what does VW/Audi say in their service schedule for the oil? And what qualifiers and asterisks do they give? Stringent and abusive testing is done to maintain and reasonably expect an average. The bottles of oil you buy are not bottles that have been tested for 650 engine hours. The formulation has been, but that bottle you buy could have been from a batch that slipped through quality control. Testing standards are not used to set parameters directly, they are there to say "Look at what we did to this thing. It can easily handle what we are recommending."

I went over 17k on PUP that people seem skittish to run 5-6k on for some reason. Some people would be amazed what oils can do if they rely on unemotional data rather than histrionics and groupthink.

Just look at what @dnewton3 has done with “unworthy” conventional oils- churning out great numbers at distances farther than most people on the board will run full synthetics! Because he uses data and not emotions!

Very good point. Personally though my vehicles are unique, hard to replace, and special to me so testing scientific premises, limits, and any pride of squeezing every last drop of use out of the oil is less important to me than running on the safe side and protecting them with as little risk as possible. I also have many other more interesting hobbies than drawing oil samples every 3k miles and sending them off. But I certainly respect those that do as it is helpful to the community. (y)

I also have many other more interesting hobbies than drawing oil samples every 3k miles and sending them off. But I certainly respect those that do as it is helpful to the community. (y)
There were no 3k samplings done. I started in the 9k range, drained & did UOA, then increased in about 5 steps to the 13k range (all drain & fills) and finally got over 17k. That took over 100k miles of driving to complete, but there was not one engine issue at all.

Yes, providing data is a good reference, but only when used properly and unemotionally. There are plenty of threads and posts (even some of my older ones! 🤣) that have made fantastic, yet statistically unfounded claims about oils and additives. More data allows better interpretation! 👍🏻

Just saw the price for the quart bottles. Quite a hike from $5.38.

20230323_085546.jpg

Me. My logic is that there are specialty/boutique oils like Amsoil, HPL, Redline, then top tier mainstream oils, like Castrol, Pennzoil, QSUD, Mobil, then there is all the rest, from branded (Kirkland, Supertech) and the no-name stuff from wherever. Not much help, but I know where oils fit into my rubric on sight. Sorry that there is no science here, but the original thread was, essentially, asking whether Quaker State was in with the good brands (I think so), or not.
So you've got two SOPUS products as top tier but not Mobil or Castrol with two?

Guess they're not giving us a choice - went to Wally World and the regular QS FS gold label is gone. Will give this and the new Fram Endurance a shot at 10k and see how it goes (probably end up changing early anyways, I drive my **** too hard lol)

saw it a few days ago at one walmart but other walmart had no signs of it. the one that had it had edge EP on clearance🤷🏻‍♂️ . i'm interested in the VOA and spec sheet

Oh that tells you something about how well the oil performs? Not the certifications it actually has?

Would you prefer an oil with 1500ppm of MoS2, an oil with 600ppm of dimer, or an oil with 100ppm of trimer? Are you a “more is better” kinda buyer, or a “better is more” kind?
You didn't ask if it will tell you how it would perform. You specifically asked what the VOA would tell you that the certifications don't and I answered. Never said anything about more moly is better or not, but many of the posters here, including myself, like to know how much is in the oil and a VOA will tell you that. I mean, dude, you asked the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back