NEW 3/17/23, Quaker State Ultimate Protection FS w/20k mi or 1 yr guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't ask if it will tell you how it would perform. You specifically asked what the VOA would tell you that the certifications don't and I answered. Never said anything about more moly is better or not, but many of the posters here, including myself, like to know how much is in the oil and a VOA will tell you that. I mean, dude, you asked the question.
Again, a VOA only shows you a tiny bit of info about what’s in the oil, and won’t tell you anything about how it may perform. That’s what certifications are for.

What will those tell you that the certifications on the label panel don’t?
I'd like to see a VOA of this new QS oil and a VOA of QSFS side by side to see why they rate it for a 20K OCI. Supertech FS 20K and Supertech FS 10K seem identical when analyzed so I'm not sure there would be a difference in the QS products.

As far as 'certifications' go....Mobil1 EP has the same SP certification as their dino (now synblend) but I would hope it performs better as far as longer OCI is concerned.

Last edited:
Completed an OCI with the extended protection today and paid $23.99 per jug. My Tundra requires 8.5 quart and an OEM filter to boot.

Attachments

• D4F13C4A-DA92-4A78-8DA5-D4737C12B391.jpeg
    D4F13C4A-DA92-4A78-8DA5-D4737C12B391.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 77
I am a huge QS fan being using the reg FS for years in 1 other vehicle, because of you guys I myself went to wally world and purchased everything they had for 0w20 (4 jugs) and 2, 1 quart containers. Will be using this in my 23 Frontier Prox. Does anyone know if this is potentially GTL, Like pennzoil? I will only be taking it to 7500 (per my warranty) but I have a few blackstone test kits left and when I drain this I will send a UOA off.

Oh that tells you something about how well the oil performs? Not the certifications it actually has?

Would you prefer an oil with 1500ppm of MoS2, an oil with 600ppm of dimer, or an oil with 100ppm of trimer? Are you a “more is better” kinda buyer, or a “better is more” kind?
Again, a VOA only shows you a tiny bit of info about what’s in the oil, and won’t tell you anything about how it may perform. That’s what certifications are for.
Again, how the oil performs has nothing to do with this back and forth and you know it. The poster stated, "i'm interested in the VOA and spec sheet" and you replied with, "What will those tell you that the certifications on the label panel don’t?" I answered your question by stating, "How much Moly it contains for starters."

End of story.

Again, how the oil performs has nothing to do with this back and forth and you know it. The poster stated, "i'm interested in the VOA and spec sheet" and you replied with, "What will those tell you that the certifications on the label panel don’t?" I answered your question by stating, "How much Moly it contains for starters."

End of story.
How the oil performs has everything to do with the discussion. This entire board came about for people seeking the “best” oil for their application, and both several labs themselves and industry experts here have told everyone innumerable times that an OA or PDS has absolutely no correlation to that oil’s actual performance. What you’re asking for could tell you a fairy tale with no basis in reality. But go ahead and enjoy your fantasy that you’d actually be gaining any useful knowledge by knowing what the OA or PDS says.

Quaker State makes products that have certain certifications, and they perform statistically similarly to all the other oils that carry those same certs, regardless of what the OA or PDS shows. That’s the end of the story. ✌️

Saw this on the shelf this last Friday at Wally world figured I would give it a try since I'm a QSFS/PUP guy. Since I'm very busy and I haven't read through this thread yet I'm wondering if it's comparable to PUP? Anyone here send a VOA to Blackstone yet?

Attachments

• 20230324_165832.jpg
    20230324_165832.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 42
Maybe its just me -- but I never recall PUP rated as a 15K motor oil????
I have much more faith in XOM making a 20k mile oil than Shell. Not that Shell can't do it, but Mobil has shown through multiple videos (Engineering Explained being one) of the extensive testing they've done to ensure the product is capable. QS hasn't done anything and Pennzoil owns Jiffy Lube lol.

View attachment 145576
🤣🤣🤣 Since when does oil thicken in viscosity over time?....It thins... It does not thicken.

For anyone who wants to make their favorite oil brand 20,000 miles capable, I have some stickers that I can print on my laser printer and you just stick them on the bottle. It works for any brand!
🤣🤣🤣 That's as funny these days as slapping the word "organic" or biologica" on food.

$23.98? I haven’t been to Walmart in quite a while (thank god), but last I was there, I believe $23.98 would be the lowest priced 5 quart jug of synthetic they have on the shelf? Am I wrong? Or is Super Tech less than that?

But the last time I was in Walmart one of the workers by the door was loudly complaining that “there’s another one questioning why I‘m asking to see their receipt”. This went on for a loud five minutes, before I said...they’re questioning it because legally they don’t have to show you that receipt, it’s their property at that point, and if you suspect theft you can retain them and call the police, but they can legally refuse to show you their receipt if they want. She said I was wrong, and then told me to go F myself. Right in front of everyone. Never had that happen before😁😁
🤣🤣🤣 Must have been a "woke" worker. Yeah Wally World has a lot of them. 😉

How the oil performs has everything to do with the discussion. This entire board came about for people seeking the “best” oil for their application, and both several labs themselves and industry experts here have told everyone innumerable times that an OA or PDS has absolutely no correlation to that oil’s actual performance. What you’re asking for could tell you a fairy tale with no basis in reality. But go ahead and enjoy your fantasy that you’d actually be gaining any useful knowledge by knowing what the OA or PDS says.

Quaker State makes products that have certain certifications, and they perform statistically similarly to all the other oils that carry those same certs, regardless of what the OA or PDS shows. That’s the end of the story. ✌️
Gaslighting...it's a powerful thing. :rolleyes:

🤣🤣🤣 Since when does oil thicken in viscosity over time?....It thins... It does not thicken.
Nope, it thickens from oxidation. There is also fuel dilution in some cases, which thins, but is not a function of the oil itself like the oxidation is. Search my 17.1k 2011 Fusion UOA; you’ll see that the 5w20 has thickened into a 30wt oil.

HPL actually expects their oil to work in this manner- early into a UOA, the viscosity may drop some from contamination (fuel), but over a longer time in use it will thicken and head toward a higher viscosity. This is not harmful and is likely the exact same path Mobil pursues with their EP and now-defunct AP oil lines.

Nope, it thickens from oxidation. There is also fuel dilution in some cases, which thins, but is not a function of the oil itself like the oxidation is. Search my 17.1k 2011 Fusion UOA; you’ll see that the 5w20 has thickened into a 30wt oil.

HPL actually expects their oil to work in this manner- early into a UOA, the viscosity may drop some from contamination (fuel), but over a longer time in use it will thicken and head toward a higher viscosity. This is not harmful and is likely the exact same path Mobil pursues with their EP and now-defunct AP oil lines.
Hmm...Look at that. Learn something new everyday...It thickens. Kinda like a balsamic vinegar glaze reduction on high heat. Makes sense with the oxidation. (Otherwise there would probably be no sludge buildup in motors.) I've just read the contrary on here in some other threads where 5W 30 was tested after an OCI and ran about a 5W 25... I can't go off of experiences either come to think of it because virgin oil goes in at ambient temperature and I drain my oil hot about 10 min after shutdown. Always appeared to flow thinner to me. I retract my previous statement.

Hmm...Look at that. Learn something new everyday...It thickens. Kinda like a balsamic vinegar glaze reduction on high heat. Makes sense with the oxidation. (Otherwise there would probably be no sludge buildup in motors.) I've just read the contrary on here in some other threads where 5W 30 was tested after an OCI and ran about a 5W 25... I can't go off of experiences either come to think of it because virgin oil goes in at ambient temperature and I drain my oil hot about 10 min after shutdown. Always appeared to flow thinner to me. I retract my previous statement.
The oil formulators were doing well with base stocks and antioxidants to prevent the oxidative thickening which can ramp up hard and cause issues - hence a number of 15k-20k lubes. Along comes direct injection and fuel dilution that won’t allow long runs because of thinning. The good news is they are still cheap enough to dump between 5k-10k …

No problem… it’s something I learned here too. Sounds like you were mixing the effects of heat and oxidation. There’s no Xw25 though… it’s either a 20wt or a 30wt because of how the grades are ordered.

Just checked SOPUS MSDS and TDS. pdf's out or bordeom and as shown in this thread, just flash point, pour point data, etc. Waiting to see if SOPUS gets back to me with other data.

Just checked SOPUS MSDS and TDS. pdf's out or bordeom and as shown in this thread, just flash point, pour point data, etc. Waiting to see if SOPUS gets back to me with other data.
Those things are interesting, sure, but the certs will give you the most important information, especially when there are ACEA or German mfr certs, which are much more actual performance-oriented than API’s meager requirements. These will tell you more relative info about how an oil will perform than anything you’ll see in a $30 UOA.

No problem… it’s something I learned here too. Sounds like you were mixing the effects of heat and oxidation. There’s no Xw25 though… it’s either a 20wt or a 30wt because of how the grades are ordered.
Right. I understand there and am aware there are no X25 wt. There are SAE straight weight oils (SAE 20, 30, 40, 50) and ranges to accommodate oil flow in a range of viscosity and weight for different global regions due to temperature fluctuation and climate. W is for "Winter" rating and flow. And every oil has its thermal breaking point and cold pour point testing, etc. But I have also seen BITOG members reporting Mobil 1 oil breaking down and thinning out after being tested on a UOA and OCI as well as posters with "Frankenbrews" mixing of weights and brands on here within same manufacturer and some not. So maybe I was a little misled and speculative. Not sure if those examples were GDI and fuel dilution related.

Again.....regarding the oils 'certifications'.....I would expect any SP rated synthetic (like ST, Kirkland, QSFS, Valvoline, PP, M1 etc....) to work well for my typical OCI of 6 to 7K. Sometimes family members run a little past that (7500 miles being the longest they've gone so far) and I would hope that using this QSUP or PU, M1EP, Castrol Edge Gold, M1AP would give a bit of 'insurance' that the oil is more capable than the non 20K rated oils despite all having the SP 'certification'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back