My July 1st Maverick order has arrived..........

Attachments

• 20220425_103708.jpg
    20220425_103708.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220425_103301.jpg
    20220425_103301.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Sounds good, it's a shame they built it unibody and not on a frame, that limits what it can tow. Not that an S10 could tow a lot, but the 4.3 liter 5 speeds could handle a 5K trailer fairly easily. They sure weren't getting 40+ MPG, though!

The old B series Ram and G series GM vans were unibody and worked out pretty well ...

I like the concept and affordability of this 'truck' and feel that Ford will sell a ton of them (if dealers don't mark them up). For somebody who commutes and occasionally picks up materials at Lowe's, HD etc...it's perfect.
Most people that I see driving pickups aren't using them to their capabilities while getting poor MPG.
Good Luck with it.
PS: Is the 'hybrid' engine the same one used in the old Fusion hybrid?

I'm trying to decide if I like it. Looks good. Nice size. Affordable. Unibody no issue for it's intended use. I'm confused regarding it's functionality after my coworker's wife said that it is a SUV with an open back end.

The Lux package has a drop in liner right? How does that look? (can't figure out why they don't do the sprayed instead)
My early order was built with a spray-in liner. Orders that came in after Sept 1 get the drop-in due a "shortage" of the spray in material. So they say.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide if I like it. Looks good. Nice size. Affordable. Unibody no issue for it's intended use. I'm confused regarding it's functionality after my coworker's wife said that it is a SUV with an open back end.
That is exactly what it is. Drives like a car. Tracks nice. Soaks up bumps. only slightly stiffer than the Venza was. Going on a drive today with the lady friend. Searching for Dogwoods in bloom (peak season around here) and will be able to offer opinions on the driving manners.
PS: Is the 'hybrid' engine the same one used in the old Fusion hybrid?
It is the latest updated version of that hybrid system. 2.5L engine instead of 2.0. Basically I can't tell a whole lot of difference between the smoothness of the Hybrid drive compared to the Venza. I can hear it more because of less sound insulation.
The Maverick does not have GDI so there are none of those noises. Overall it's a wash.

Reactions: pbm
Hermann , maybe you could challenge the neighbor with the MIRAGE ( background ) to a friendly calculated gas mileage duel . :)

It is the latest updated version of that hybrid system. 2.5L engine instead of 2.0. Basically I can't tell a whole lot of difference between the smoothness of the Hybrid drive compared to the Venza. I can hear it more because of less sound insulation.
The Maverick does not have GDI so there are none of those noises. Overall it's a wash.
FWIW...I've seen those Ford 2.5 Hybrid engines with over 400K in NYC Taxis....great engines IMO...

Sounds good, it's a shame they built it unibody and not on a frame, that limits what it can tow. Not that an S10 could tow a lot, but the 4.3 liter 5 speeds could handle a 5K trailer fairly easily. They sure weren't getting 40+ MPG, though!
I got to thinking a little more about this.

I would love it if someone like TFL could get hold of a few 'old' trucks. Think S10's and older F150's, before towing ratings were established by SAE J2807 and run them through the same tests and see if their rated ratings were even in the ballpark. Someone mentioned an S10 being rated for 5000 pounds, I'll bet that it would struggle with some of the required tests. Especially the loaded hill take-off and braking tests, as well as the Davis Dam part of the testing. You'd have to find pristine, unmodded examples, but it would be a fun comparison.

I would love it if someone like TFL could get hold of a few 'old' trucks. Think S10's and older F150's, before towing ratings were established by SAE J2807 and run them through the same tests and see if their rated ratings were even in the ballpark. ...

Got me thinking too.

My old ranger has a Ford accessory hitch on it rated for 6000LBS, the official Ford 2002 Towing Guide I can find rates it for 3940 . Another source has Rangers between 2200 and over 6000 depending on engine/model/gear. Same goes for S10/S15 so one wonders where all these numbers are coming from.

Ive towed right around 3500 - 3600 with mine and it does fine except in the power department... there no Ike Gauntlet around here either... I wouldn't really be game for 5-6000 in it...

Last edited:

I would love it if someone like TFL could get hold of a few 'old' trucks. Think S10's and older F150's, before towing ratings were established by SAE J2807 and run them through the same tests and see if their rated ratings were even in the ballpark. Someone mentioned an S10 being rated for 5000 pounds, I'll bet that it would struggle with some of the required tests. Especially the loaded hill take-off and braking tests, as well as the Davis Dam part of the testing. You'd have to find pristine, unmodded examples, but it would be a fun comparison.
An s10 with 5000 lbs? I could see a 3200lb pop-up camper - not too tall, not too long. And maybe a 4000lb boat with reasonably low wind drag. But no way I’d pull a 4000lb trailer of any size behind an s10. They had the power to do it, and the brakes too, but the chassis was small, light, and softly sprung.

The dealer provided tank after a 170 miles.

Attachments

• 20220427_125523.jpg
    20220427_125523.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 45
Back