One year/10,600 mile review of my 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
The Maverick is now a year young. It has been reliable, no issues in day to day driving. Has only been to the dealer for recalls and TSB's. It's a easy vehicle to live with. Below are my pros and cons that are worth mentioning.

Let's start with the Cons:
Plastic panels that scratch real easy. Usually the scratches do not respond to attempts to blend them into the surface.
The brakes have reverted back to being grabby when braking at slow speeds. Ford needs to fix this, pronto!
Tires that are 1/3 worn at 10K
Less than optimal front suspension.
Odd steering angles from the 121 inch wheelbase, combined with FWD with quick steering responses, you need to be careful. Although I am getting used to it without thinking about it.
The over abundance of safety nannies.
The tech features that sometimes work when they want to work. Mostly the infotainment screen.
The lack of push button start.

Now the good stuff:
An engine that is using no or miniscule amounts of oil.

Easy DIY oil changes. All routine service items are easy to get at.

Really surprising driving dynamics at speed. In high speed long duration sweepers it's a blast to change cornering angles with the throttle, both on and off. Thanks to the rear suspension being supple on small pavement imperfections, your steering angles do not change from the chassis getting upset. This can be an entertaining and pleasing vehicle to drive quickly on curvy roads.

The seats at first glance look less than stellar. The power controls on the driver's seat work well and is able to make fine adjustments. The cushion is soft on top with firmer foam below. Long term comfort has not been a issue on several 200 miles trips. I am lucky that the lumber is the correct height for me. The 2-way lumbar adjusts in fine increments. The cloth denim like seat covers are somewhat grippy and go well with the rest of the interior. The headrest allows me to sit up straight comfortably with no neck strain when I rest my head on it. My upper shoulders hit the seat back comfortably. Overall the seats get 8/10 rating.

The items of the XLT Luxury Package have made this a very liveable truck. All of the heated stuff works well. The heated steering wheel is excellent, heats quickly and feels nice in the hands. The leather is thin but is cushioned. The seat heaters are also on the low back and also heat quickly. On each of the three levels you can feel the difference quite easily. The factory spray in bed liner is part of the LUX package, items placed on it do not slide around. Only got to use the heated mirrors once so far, they worked well, quickly. It has extra bed lighting that has come in handy a couple of times. I.E. night time grocery runs. The two 400 watt A/C outlets have been well used. I don't know if this is luxury, it comes with a endangered species full size spare tire.
A trailer hitch and 4 pin connector are also in this package.

The Hybrid powertrain has been as advertised. After a full year it has averaged 40.7 MPG since new. Thought I might slip below 40mpg during the winter. Got as low as 40.4 hand calculated. The hybrid is surprisingly quick, and surprises many full size pickups with its power. What impresses most is the smoothness of operation. The transitions from ICE to Electric and vice versa are mostly un noticeable if you have any volume above 8/30 on the radio. Although not an aggressive driver, when passing is required it is up to the task. Instant torque and the instant response to throttle applications, make country road slow pokes easy to pass.

Another impressive thing about the Maverick is the excellent paint and it's lack of orange peel. The paint is easy to clean and responds nicely to spray waxes. The Cactus Gray color always seems to look clean. There are no paint chips on the front end. Then again I rarely tailgate and don't follow semi's close if they pass me . I'll just back off.

All of the Ford branded accessories continue to look good and clean up nicely. The Ford tri fold hard cover looks especially good after a wash with just a quick wipe. The splash guards have kept the area behind the tires very clean and no rock chips down low.

The Maverick is surprisingly wide. I'm 5'11" and 225 lbs. Myself and the lady friend are both wide shouldered. We never bump shoulders with 6 inches to spare.

The rear seat to me is basically a luggage space. It has seen only one passenger in the first year, my lady friends 27 y.o. grand daughter. She thought the truck was cool. :cool: Although I did sit back there before purchasing. I figured if my large frame fit sitting behind me, it was adequate.

Last but not least is the overall competent feeling of the Maverick. From its lack of shimmies and shakes going down the road to tires that have not needed balancing in 10K. I live within a mile of being in "The country" and encounter all kinds of conditions when driving and the Maverick has meet each challenge that has presented itself.

Below is a link to a Maverick hybrid review by Ryan of Driving Sports TV on YouTube. The driving impressions start at about 11 minutes. I feel much the same way he does about the Hybrid.

Thanks for reading🖖

Last edited:
I'm sold ! FORD should offer you a '23 Hybrid . Now to find one 🤞. Hope they get a fix for the brakes . One concern is how it will keep its book value further down the road when trade in values become more normal .

Last edited:
I'm sold ! FORD should offer you a '23 Hybrid . Now to find one 🤞. Hope they find a fix for the brakes . One concern is how it will keep its book value further down the road when trade in values becomes more normal .
So far the resale is great. If Ford keeps restricting the Hybrid production it could stay high for quite a while. Ford only wants to sell so many loss leaders.

The Maverick checks off a lotta boxes for a lotta people. I bet a good set of rubber would make it even better.
The O.E.M 185/65-15 CONTINENTAL ProContact TX (H) that were on the '18 ACCENT SE did quite well for all around driving . They're a bit stiff , I think that was due to the foam to help with noise level ( ContiSilent technology , https://continentaltire.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/760/~/contisilent ) . Replaced them with RT43 (H) and the ride is a bit smoother .

The Maverick checks off a lotta boxes for a lotta people. I bet a good set of rubber would make it even better.
I look forward to the day I can get rid of these tires. They are not terrible, just not confidence inspiring.

How many times was it necessary to schedule an appointment and bring the vehicle to the dealer for recalls and TSB's?
The two recalls were done in one trip. Got a overnight rental. The TSB required a separate trip. In and out in 90 minutes. The service experience was good.

There was an issue with the FOAM coming lose and making the tires unbalanced ( Found this , https://buickforums.com/forums/threads/contisilent-tire-insulation-cause-of-imbalance.52499/ ) . We test drove 2 new '18 ACCENTS same day and both had vibration at higher speeds ( over 40 ? ) , so we passed those not knowing the reason . Told the dealer and not sure if they followed up on it . So , we did some research and discovered the problem with the foam in the tires . Then we figured give it another a try ( now own ) and it didn't have the vibration at that time or up-till their replacement with the RT43s' . Not sure if the TX still has the problem . They did have very good rolling resistance , best tank was 45 m.p.g. calculated . The 43s' have a little more resistance .

Last edited:
The Maverick is now a year young. It has been reliable, no issues in day to day driving. Has only been to the dealer for recalls and TSB's. It's a easy vehicle to live with. Below are my pros and cons that are worth mentioning.
What recalls and TSBs? How well were they handled? Did they get repaired on the forst service, or have there been recurrences?

What recalls and TSBs? How well were they handled? Did they get repaired on the forst service, or have there been recurrences?
The recalls were done on one visit. I received a rental under my Ford ESP with first day rental coverage. First was alteration of the grill shutters to allow more air in. Seems to be done OK. The side curtain airbags were replaced because they were too long. Created deployment problems. All seems well where the bags are inserted into the headliner. No greasy fingerprints or damaged panels noticed afterwards. The TSB for the grabby brakes is less successful. Reverted back to like they were before the reprogramming of the hybrid braking system. It seems to be a work in progress. I think there will be a recall before it all over with, to put in a different (aka better performing) brake-by-wire modulator. My feeling is that this will be forced by NHTSA

The recalls were done on one visit. I received a rental under my Ford ESP with first day rental coverage. First was alteration of the grill shutters to allow more air in. Seems to be done OK. The side curtain airbags were replaced because they were too long. Created deployment problems. All seems well where the bags are inserted into the headliner. No greasy fingerprints or damaged panels noticed afterwards. The TSB for the grabby brakes is less successful. Reverted back to like they were before the reprogramming of the hybrid braking system. It seems to be a work in progress. I think there will be a recall before it all over with, to put in a different (aka better performing) brake-by-wire modulator. My feeling is that this will be forced by NHTSA
I have a ‘22 Maverick XLT Hybrid too. Mine will be a year old on 05/23/23 and I already have 23,500 miles on it. I live deep in the Ozarks in southwest MO and do a lot of driving. I live on a gravel road and recently switched to a set of Hercules Terra Trac AT X-Journey tires and they have been excellent. I recommend them.

I have been using Mobil 1 0W20 EP but recently switched to HPL 0W20 premium passenger car engine oil. The 2.5 liter Atkinson cycle engine uses no oil between oil changes that are usually done around 7,500 miles. I plan on leaving the HPL in for at least 10k.

I have had zero problems with the exception of the grabby brakes which happens below 6 mph. I am not going to have the tsb done because I drive 95 percent hiway and am rarely doing any stop and go driving. Besides, the fix is rarely a fix, as you know. In the event that it becomes a recall and truly fixes the problem, then I’ll do it.

I had the tsb done that involved a grille shutterectomy and holes drilled in the under-engine guard. Ford required it in the event of a catastrophic engine failure and there would be no place for the fluids to exit, potentially increasing the risk of a fire. Ok.

I do not plan on having the airbag recall done. It’s not that they won’t deploy, but they may not fully deploy. Meh. Besides, I do not trust the ham fisted barbarians at my local dealership to not make a mess of it.

I love my Maverick hybrid, and in fact, it is a better vehicle than my previous CRV or RAV4. It’s also my first Ford.

My comments mirror what has already been stated. I have owned a ‘22 Lariat Hybrid for about 14 months. Optional Hot pepper 🌶️ Red color appears orange in direct sunlight and red in the overcast or shade. My mpg is averaging mid 40’s in mostly city driving, sometimes over 50, depending on conditions.

My only nitpicking gripes (even after the recall), are the grabby brakes at low speed. Not enough an issue to worry about or lose sleep over.

The truck attracts a fair amount of attention/comments, especially when parked among the sea of other pickups in the Lowe’s/Home Depot parking lot. From what I have heard, used Mavericks are selling for more than new Mavericks. I don’t know how this can be, because many dealers are tacking on over $5,000 MSRP fees (if they have any on the lot, at all). 🤷‍♀️. Ford dealers are just ruining the buying experience. I was fortunate to buy mine at “A” plan price at the time.

I previously owned a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, with the same 2.5L engine as this truck. I put over 205,000 miles on it before trading it in. Engine showed NO signs of fatigue at trade in. Engine is as (stout, as we say down South, as any Toyota 4 cylinder). I used Mobil 1 EP 0W20 in the Fusion and was going to do the same on the truck. However, the apparent PAO % reduction in the current 0W20 EP Triple Action Formula, has me looking around for an alternative, going forward.

I am waiting on Toyota or Tesla to up the ante, and come out with a small, 4 wheel drive, EV pickup that can fit in a garage - that doesn’t cost over 60 Grand. When that happens, it is “game on.” Ford better have something comparable, in the works.

with the newest vehicles YOU are the BETA tester, + hopefully you get taken care of at your local STEALER!! a nice little truck BUT a standard cab basic model is needed + keep the unnecessary NANNIES!!

I bet that's a complete waste considering A) a pickup truck and B) limited HP... and C) this is for budget minded people, not those who want to waste money splurge on premium tires as if it were a sports car.

It's a good economy option for those who want that in a hauler. Trying to upgrade it is fairly ridiculous.

My dad loves his Santa Cruz. He would have loved to have considered a Maverick. But we couldn't find one at any dealer for him to even look at or test drive.

Back