My July 1st Maverick order has arrived..........

Yea but in this country, taller and wider and bigger always seems to be associated with better.
only to people who can't realize that many many people do not use a truck to tow, haul huge loads of firewood ect.. This is a city truck that seats 5 in a pinch, 4 comfortably, can have nice creature comforts and returns 35-40mpg. FWD only needs decent snow tires for 95% of folks. But when I leave to go drive it here in a hour or so how it drives and the competency of the suspension compared to the Venza will determine my path. I sat in a dealer training demo, I was not blown away. Of course driving will be the determining factor.

only to people who can't realize that many many people do not use a truck to tow, haul huge loads of firewood ect.. This is a city truck that seats 5 in a pinch, 4 comfortably, can have nice creature comforts and returns 35-40mpg. FWD only needs decent snow tires for 95% of folks. But when I leave to go drive it here in a hour or so how it drives and the competency of the suspension compared to the Venza will determine my path. I sat in a dealer training demo, I was not blown away. Of course driving will be the determining factor.

I seriously doubt it will be as comfortable or have the interior quality of a Venza. The Mav suspension is definitely tuned a bit stiffer than the escape or my Rav4. I will say my Maverick handles better than my Rav4.

I ordered a Mav late October to replace my Ridgeline. I ordered a second one in January at $3000 off sticker to flip. People buy and sell things for profit all the time; like stocks, precious metals, collectables, used cars, houses, etc. There's no shame in participating in capitalism. If I ever get the 2nd Mav (I haven't got the first one yet) I will ask a price that reflects a good profit. I won't coerce anyone to buy it. If things look bad when it arrives to the dealer, I'll let them keep the small deposit and walk away. No risk, no reward.

Just got back from the dealer and dinner out afterwards. The interior is "PlasticFantastic". Everything else was quite nice. Fit and finish seemed nice and heard no rattles or odd noises. The Android Auto worked perfect when there was appropriate levels of signal. Believe it or not the Maverick feels more solid than the Venza. Especially the doors, which close with a deep toned thunk. The bed is smallish but of a usable size. Seat are comfy but maybe a touch to soft for long rides. More tomorrow, I'm tired now. Yes. I did agree to buy it. It's sort of a novelty but one which can easily be resold at a profit, probably for at least a year. To be continued.

Gift tax = big ignore on both sides

It's taxed money. An unfettered Govt doesn't get to smell and skim that green again.

But, if you are doing dirty laundry or paying hired hands under the table ...
The idea, as I understand it, is to stop the very rich from giving money to their family (or others) before they die. Free transfer of wealth...

The idea, as I understand it, is to stop the very rich from giving money to their family (or others) before they die. Free transfer of wealth...
On a retirement account or annuity or bank account easy enough to do with a TOD.
Real property on Deed as JTWROS way in advance.

All easily done without Legal Eagles :)

Reminds me of

00t0t_hZZ29WHfe4hz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
I wonder what one of those would be worth today?

Local dealer has two of these "National Grid" White XL base 4x4 rangers advertised at sticker of $30K

Not a terrible deal for 4WD. I am astonished by the two ton plus base curb weight!

Here is the specific window sticker from Ford for the unit on the lot :

Pull a sailboat and trailer up a wet ramp with FWD.
Even pulling a lawn service zero turn or a couple snowmobiles on trailer up a hill in weather. It ain't happening.

FWD is the killer. I ignore the AWD trim, it costs too much, the unique value is gone
This. I would seriously consider the Maverick for my next vehicle if the Hybrid was available with RWD or AWD, but I would use it to pull my 15 foot boat and as ARCOgraphite said, that ain't happening on a wet ramp with FWD.

On a retirement account or annuity or bank account easy enough to do with a TOD.
Real property on Deed as JTWROS way in advance.

All easily done without Legal Eagles :)
You may be conflating probate avoidance and the contents of one's probate estate, with estate tax avoidance and the contents of one's taxable estate...

Non probate assets may still be counted as part of your taxable estate...

But hey, what do I know... I did not even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... internet advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

Hi again, less tired now. The deal went down as planned. $27,090 Msrp, and $399 admin fee. Yep that got raised after the order. I received the KBB price on the Venza with no hassles. The worst part of the day was dealing with the Accessories Manager. To tell you he has worked there 37 years, should kind of tell you how the experience went. Not well. To get out of the room, I told him I would buy the paint and fabric protection packages.($900) This morning on his day off I dealt with who should be running that dept. Protection packages removed and just my accessories were ordered and they are in stock at the KC parts warehouse. Should all be installed by Sat morning and probably pick up around noon. Pics then.

The test drive was to drive to my house to make sure the 200" long truck(let) fits in the garage. . 6 inches to spare. The truck drove nicely, it is quiet, heard no wind noise during a quiet time(no radio). The steering is on the weighty side. Even has a bit of feedback thru the wheel. The interior is "Unique" to say the least. At least the orange accents add some color to the otherwise drab colors. The seats are comfy with soft cushions, not sure these won't collapse quickly. The thigh support is a bit short, not horrible. The steering wheel and controls on it are much easier to use than the Venza's. The leather is of better quality on the wheel with a touch of padding. The tech is so much easier on this car despite it having nearly the same amount of "Nannies". The butt warmers work well but not super hot.

The Cactus Gray paint is a good color with all the black body cladding. The seats have enough gray in them that they go together well. Rear seat legroom behind me was fine. The 400w AC outlet on the rear of the armrest is a nice interior perk. There is another in the bed. The truck came with the wire adapters for the two 12volt outlets in the rear of the bed. Yesterday the drizzly rainy's set in here. The wipers are excellent with a wide sweep, and the delays setting had enough positions to match the changing rain rate.

The hybrid powertrain feels and performs just like the Toyota system. No complaints. Smooth integration from ICE to Battery and vice versa. Only felt one tiny vibration in 34 miles. On my trip to and from the house I registered 51 and 44 mpg going to my house starting with a cold engine. Max speed was around 60mph. The rotary shifter (love it or hate it) really opens up the console area. My Dancing Hula Girl figurine did not fit the cubby next to the screen. :( The touchscreen is small but very readable, is less confusing than the Venza's. The difficult to use Toyota tech is the main reason I am trading it. On the Toyota tech it seems hard to get the same result twice. The stock speakers are good but nowhere near great. A decent amount of not muddy bass.

The folks who already have their Maverick's are right in that they get a lot of looks. During the few minutes at home 2 neighbors came over to get a look. No one ever gave the Venza a second look.

The number one thing that surprized me is the solidity of the body and the sound of the doors closing. A very positive thunk. This vehicle seems substantial and drives that way. There were no rattles on the rough roads around my house. It does ride stiffer than the Venza but the suspension seems composed. It is nowhere as stiff as my F-150 was. The payload rating is 1430 lb on the door jamb sticker. The paint quality is good, although it was a gloomy day. They had it in the well lit showroom which is were the paint looked nice and felt smooth.

Overall this IMO is a good Hybrid vehicle for $27K with a fair amount of premium features. I see Ford selling zillions of these once they get part constraints taken care of. I could see auto parts and pizza deliveries snapping these up.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Sounds good, it's a shame they built it unibody and not on a frame, that limits what it can tow. Not that an S10 could tow a lot, but the 4.3 liter 5 speeds could handle a 5K trailer fairly easily. They sure weren't getting 40+ MPG, though!

Got a call from the dealer that the Maverick Hybrid ordered July 1st has arrived. I plan to go test drive it on Wednesday. Assuming there are no shenanigans' by the dealer it should cost me $27,027 +$199 admin fee.

At this time unless the Maverick just blows me away, I probably won't buy it for me. I have the cash to purchase it outright, I could take it to Carvana or CarMax and see what it will bring.

Another option would be to trade the Venza if I like the Maverick, who's current value is $34000 as of last night. My aim would be to add accessories from the Dealer to bring the values closer. $1000 hard bed cover, splash guards, bed mat, rooftop spoiler, front window tint to match the rear windows, negotiate a tire swap for Michelin CC 2's and other possibilties.

My 3rd and very generous option would be to gift it to my sister or my Lady Friend who also has a used up vehicle and they both have no money for a new car.

A fourth option would be to sell my interest to the Dealer for say $2K. I know they mark up declined orders around $5K

Suggestions please.
Buy it, and be the cool kid for a few weeks. If it really gets near 40mpg, could be the truck to have.

Sounds good, it's a shame they built it unibody and not on a frame, that limits what it can tow. Not that an S10 could tow a lot, but the 4.3 liter 5 speeds could handle a 5K trailer fairly easily. They sure weren't getting 40+ MPG, though!
That's not what it was built for. For towing 2-4k the unibody is just fine. If you're buying something to tow with, you're not looking at one of these.

Pictures of the Cactus Grey Maverick would be cool.

Mrs DuckRyder actually took a picture of one of these and sent it to me and said it was cool she wants one. I can see it being handy for her doing yard work and stuff. She hates driving the Ranger because the seats are not very good and it is rough and bumpy (being a truck) plus as a 4 door Ranger cowl shake and the like is annoying. If this thing drives mostly like the Escape it could be a definite win. I do wish it was available in AWD Hybrid.

Pictures of the Cactus Grey Maverick would be cool.

Mrs DuckRyder actually took a picture of one of these and sent it to me and said it was cool she wants one. I can see it being handy for her doing yard work and stuff. She hates driving the Ranger because the seats are not very good and it is rough and bumpy (being a truck) plus as a 4 door Ranger cowl shake and the like is annoying. If this thing drives mostly like the Escape it could be a definite win. I do wish it was available in AWD Hybrid.
Wednesday it was a drizzly rainy day. Good pics would have been impossible. There will be photos coming on Saturday or Sunday.

Back