My July 1st Maverick order has arrived..........

and taller and wider and bigger with a larger engine and a bigger bed and can tow more and has a frame and is not based on the Escape and...

It's not just longer...I think that was the point

Bill

Yea but in this country, taller and wider and bigger always seems to be associated with better.

The Maverick fills a spot that no other pickup, and few vehicles in general fill. That is a vehicle with a bed, with a decent payload, that gets 30+ mpg, or 40+ mpg in the case of the hybrid. The hype comes from the fact that the Maverick does that at a cost lower than most new vehicles.

I got my Maverick XLT Hybrid for $24k OTD. Name another hybrid that gets 42mpg you can get nowadays for that price, now find me a vehicle that gets that mpg with the utility a Maverick offers for any price. That simply does not exist.

Rangers, Tacoma's, Frontiers and Colorado's can all offer more utility, but come in $10k more for a similar trim level and are lucky to get 20mpg.

No the Maverick is not perfect for sure. The engine drones a bit and the brakes are touchy as nobodies business. But it does what no other vehicle can for me. Get 42 mpg on my 110 miles a day commute and let me pickup 4x8 sheet goods at HD for my renovation projects on the weekends.

Good point. You can gift up to $15K per person per year; then you gotta pay gift tax.
But unless you are in a crazy high tax bracket, you should be OK.
Sort of, but not quite...

With regard to the Federal IRS only:

If you give more than $16,000 in cash or assets (for example, stocks, land, a new car) in a year to any one person, you need to file a gift tax return. That doesn’t mean you have to pay a gift tax. It just means you need to file IRS Form 709 to disclose the gift. (Ignore gifts between spouses...)

You won’t actually owe the tax until you’ve given away more than $11.7 million in cash or other assets during your lifetime. So, actually owing the gift tax is not a concern for most folks. But you may still have to file gift tax returns even though you don’t owe any tax.

Actually owing a gift tax is what I call: "A good problem to have!"

A fourth option would be to sell my interest to the Dealer for say $2K. I know they mark up declined orders around $5K
Wait a minute...this part confuses me. You would ask the dealer to pay you $2K to walk away so they can sell the Maverick to someone else? If I'm the dealer I would say "either you want it or you don't." If I sell it to you, I win. If you walk away, I still win.

Is the current market really that much out of whack that dealers are paying cash to customers that ordered cars to get them to walk away so they can turn around and sell it to someone else with a market adjustment on it?

Reactions: wtd
I'd love to drive one someday.
The comparison atikovi linked to suggests to me that a trucklette built on an automotive AWD pan can deliver some of the towing a larger, marginally more powerful vehicle can.
A car based truck for less money; what's the puzzle? Off the top of my head I'd just hope they'd offer a Maverick with a non-turbo engine.

Wait a minute...this part confuses me. You would ask the dealer to pay you $2K to walk away so they can sell the Maverick to someone else? If I'm the dealer I would say "either you want it or you don't." If I sell it to you, I win. If you walk away, I still win.

Is the current market really that much out of whack that dealers are paying cash to customers that ordered cars to get them to walk away so they can turn around and sell it to someone else with a market adjustment on it?
Let's say the actual market value of the truck is $32,000.00.

Dealer has to assume that no one is not going to exercise the option to purchase something worth $32,000 for $27,000.

If Dealer sells it to Buyer and Buyer flips it, Dealer makes nothing except normal profit.

If Dealer pays Buyer $2,000 for his option, and sells the truck for $32,000, dealer has made $3,000.00 plus normal profit.

In essence the Dealer is paying the buyer for the privilege of being the one to flip the truck...

Which leads to the question, why would the Buyer take $2,000 when he could flip the truck and make $5,000? It could be that the buyer does not want the hassle of flipping the truck, and $2,000 looks pretty good for signing a couple pieces of paper.

Last edited:
What's all the hype for this thing? It looks very nice and all but it's still just another small pickup. And don't most people here suggest not to buy the first model year of any vehicle?
I don't get it either. its not really a truck, its a unitbody FWD CUV (Escape) with the back roof cut off and the rear seats tossed out.

But I see the market and Ford sees the market and I also have come to see see a certain value.

It's been done before by Subaru (Baja) and VW (Rabbit Truck and Type 2) but not to the extent where they would function as a light duty truck like the old ranger or Chevy S-10 with cab over frame. Most recently it has been Honda's game for many years in the more upscale and pricey Ridgeline

vw 2.jpg
vw truck.jpg

baja.jpg

I don't get it either. its not really a truck, its a unitbody FWD CUV (Escape) with the back roof cut off and the rear seats tossed out.

But I see the market and Ford sees the market and I also have come to see see a certain value.

It's been done before by Subaru (Baja) and VW (Rabbit Truck and Type 2) but not to the extent where they would function as a light duty truck like the old ranger or Chevy S-10 with cab over frame. Most recently it has been Honda's game for many years in the more upscale and pricey Ridgeline

It's the same idea the previous gen ranger platform had behind it. The Maverick has a higher payload capacity and can tow more than a 2010 ranger, but is about the same size.

When ford redesigned the f150 and ranger, they made them larger by almost a full class of truck. The Maverick just slots in where the old rangers did, but is more efficient and more powerful.

Gift tax = big ignore on both sides

It's taxed money. An unfettered Govt doesn't get to smell and skim that green again.

But, if you are doing dirty laundry or paying hired hands under the table ...

It's the same idea the previous gen ranger platform had behind it. The Maverick has a higher payload capacity and can tow more than a 2010 ranger, but is about the same size.

When ford redesigned the f150 and ranger, they made them larger by almost a full class of truck. The Maverick just slots in where the old rangers did, but is more efficient and more powerful.
Pull a sailboat and trailer up a wet ramp with FWD.
Even pulling a lawn service zero turn or a couple snowmobiles on trailer up a hill in weather. It ain't happening.

FWD is the killer. I ignore the AWD trim, it costs too much, the unique value is gone

Dealer has to assume that no one is not going to exercise the option to purchase something worth $32,000 for $27,000.

If Dealer sells it to Buyer and Buyer flips it, Dealer makes nothing except normal profit.

If Dealer pays Buyer $2,000 for his option, and sells the truck for $32,000, dealer has made $3,000.00 plus normal profit.

In essence the Dealer is paying the buyer for the privilege of being the one to flip the truck...

Which leads to the question, why would the Buyer take $2,000 when he could flip the truck and make $5,000?

I understand the idea, but I didn't realize this was even a "thing" going on in the current market. How does this conversation even work at the dealer? "I can take or leave this car. I am guessing you can sell this today to the next guy on the list for at least $32K. I will sell you my option in this for $2,000 and then you can sell it at the higher price to the next guy."

I could see doing this instead of buying at $27K and trying to flip for $32K. Saves all of the hassle of dealing with title and registration and insurance and all of the stuff during the short time you would actually own it.

Gift tax = big ignore on both sides

It's taxed money. An unfettered Govt doesn't get to smell and skim that green again.

But, if you are doing dirty laundry or paying hired hands under the table ...
Philosophically I may agree with you... but the tax law is the tax law...

I have seen what the IRS can do to person if it decides to wreck their lives over some missing paperwork... my advice (which is worth what you pay) is: comply with the law... fill out the form, pay what you owe.

Tax avoidance is legal, tax evasion is not... do you really want to go to war with the IRS because you decided to ignore filling out a simple 709?

As I get older, I better appreciate that not every perceived slight has to be Custer's Last Stand... sometimes it is easier to just follow the law...

If you do not like the law, change it at the ballot box, but of all the enemies you do not want to make, the IRS is at the top of the list... they have unlimited resources and no sense of humor.

Reactions: wtd
I understand the idea, but I didn't realize this was even a "thing" going on in the current market. How does this conversation even work at the dealer? "I can take or leave this car. I am guessing you can sell this today to the next guy on the list for at least $32K. I will sell you my option in this for $2,000 and then you can sell it at the higher price to the next guy."

I could see doing this instead of buying at $27K and trying to flip for $32K. Saves all of the hassle of dealing with title and registration and insurance and all of the stuff during the short time you would actually own it.
Pretty much... "Someone is going to flip this truck and make money... do you (the dealer) want to make $3,000 or $0 off the flip?"

This is the market today, and this happens...

These are increasing here. two light blue ones I see regularly, one with steelies about a mile from me. There’s a third I’m beginning to see north of my neighborhood as well. Good looking and rather practical looking truck.
There's a blue hybrid on steelies with a color matched cap that I see almost every day. It's pretty much exactly the one I would order. Makes me want one more every time I see it.

Which leads to the question, why would the Buyer take $2,000 when he could flip the truck and make $5,000? It could be that the buyer does not want the hassle of flipping the truck, and $2,000 looks pretty good for signing a couple pieces of paper.
$2550 in taxes takes a big hit, unless I sell it to someone out of state.

May be if the local dealer has one I'll test drive it. I will try my best to do an unbiased review.

No intent to trade my BRAND NEW Ford Ecosport that I got mid-epidemic for $16,900 out the door door before trade or shortage.
And that is 4WD with plenty of goodies and quality Lincoln fancy parts bin switch gear. Not a Rubbermaid inferior interior,

That base hybrid would be good for the wife with her Kayak and camping lifestyle
but she frowns on and will ignore Ford products. And FWD is a no.
I do really like the gear-based hybrid drive E CVT from a distance. It's definitely Not Your Uncle Haruto's CVT

Back