Modern-day parenting and the effect on kids

Moderately insufferable soapbox moment - stick with me here. I'll let the caption with the picture stand by itself and this post is in response to that caption. You can chase down the Atlantic story behind the paywall if you wish but it's not necessary to understand my comment.

As a pediatric dentist, I see kids and parents at their most stressed, and over the course of the last 15 years, I've seen a sharp decline in the general coping skills of kids. I'm GenX and was a latchkey kid from 1st grade on because both of my parents worked FT. I had an older brother and sister around but my childhood was A LOT of time consisting of me being left to my own devices to "figure it out". How to feed myself. How to fix my bike. How to navigate great distances on my bike and return home safely. My parents were rarely around for these things and I'm not complaining. I think the "freedom" of my childhood was awesome. Was there a higher degree of unsafety and are there better ways to parent? Sure, and I'm not advocating that parents not be involved in their kids' lives but we as a society constantly infantilize our children treating them like they are fragile and helpless. Parents today conflate their children’s success with their success and their children’s failures with their failures. These parenting practices lead to a pseudo-Munchausen by proxy-like parenting style where parents unknowingly cripple their children’s development and coping skills so they can direct every aspect of their children’s lives under constant supervision, swoop in to be the hero who knocks down the barrier or makes some wrong right, so the parent can be the center of attention.

These practices are of course a disservice to our children and it is leading to older teens and young adults who have no problem-solving skills, no coping skills, who are crippled by anxiety and depression, and who remain dependent on mommy and daddy dearest.
Let our kids grow up. Let our kids have their own successes and failures. Let our kids learn how to become an adult in what is a very difficult world that requires skills in problem-solving, coping, and perseverance.

My kids are far from perfect but they are pretty well-rounded. They are respectful, polite, kind, have no problems making and maintaining friends, no problems making and maintaining relationships with the opposite sex, no problems speaking to adults and strangers, they do well in school, and they are generally a pleasure to be around. My wife and I never swooped in if there was an issue with a teacher at school. We would tell our kids to go to Mr. or Ms. and figure it out and that's what they did. We had a similar tact with peer issues and yes occasionally we had to intervene but not until our kids tried on their own.

What did we do? We let them have enough space to experience success and failure and we didn't see it as our success or failure. We gave them the space needed to make some smaller mistakes and helped guide them always from making big mistakes. We demanded that they look people in the eye and shake their hand. We demanded that they always respond with a please and thank you. We showed our kids how to do these things by doing them ourselves. We require our kids to have jobs after 16 because there is tremendous value in learning to make your own money and develop the skillset needed to make money, learn how to deal with the public, your boss, your co-workers. We have made it abundantly clear that our goal is to grow little people, into well-rounded and happy big people, so they can get the heck out of our house and go be productive humans. Our goal is not to make their lives easier or live vicariously through them or to be their friends. We don't condition our love on being the best or the fastest or the smartest but we also call a spade a spade and when one of them doesn't put in the effort we call them on it. We have always made it known that we are in charge and we are the authority figures but we did not abuse that position. The result has been what would've been thirty years ago three exceptionally average and "normal" kids but now they are three exceptional kids simply because they possess these basic traits and skills in a time where most of their peers are greatly lacking even the basics. On a positive, many kids are so screwed up today it should be much easier for the kids who aren't screwed up to get ahead.

“Life is a bumpy ride, kid. Here, put on a helmet”. -Some modern-day philosopher

Image 6-15-24 at 6.53 AM.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree with your comments as many are like that. On the other side of the coin are parents who want to be friends with their children and not parents first. Being a parent is hard but being a good parent is even more so. You don’t win any popularity contests but teaching your children early and often will, more often than not, pay dividends for all down the road.

We lived out in the country as kids and after the work was done we were free to roam. My brothers and I would get on our dirt bikes and ride all over the country. We didn't wear helmets and rode around with the neighbor kids. Things were much simpler in those days and these kids in today's world walk around looking at their cell phones. Some parents are helicopter parents while others thrive on letting their kids go their own way. My parents always kind of let us find our own path without a lot of interference. I came form a family with 7 kids and that was how a lot of baby boomer's grew up. We didn't have a lot of fine things in life growing up and neither did most of the neighbors.

Lived, and worked on a farm part of my childhood. Dangerous place for a kid. I was taught enough not to get killed in a farm accident. The rest of the time lived in Chicago, dangerous big city. Parents both worked full time. Was left to my own devices to figure things out.

Regarding parenting; once during a moment of juvenile hostility at my decision concerning his liberties my son told me,' you're not my friend'. I gave him this life lesson, 'You are right. There are billions of potential friends out there. You will have only one father and I'm it' He grew up to be a fine and disciplined man with a family of his own.

Life is a stern teacher. First it gives you the test then it gives you the lesson.

Last edited:
Many times the following came out of my mouth ...
'I'm not your friend; I'm your father. It's my job to raise you right, so that you're successful and not a burden to society."

The above doesn't mean I was hateful or abused my kids in any manner; I loved them and we did have some laughs and fun times. But they didn't "like" me when they were young because I was tough on them; (it's probably hard to be a cop's kid).

Now that they are grown, they are respectful, strong, independent, hard-working, even-keeled examples of human endeavors.
And we get along quite well now.
I consider that a job well done.

Yes, yes, and yes. I understand the need to protect your kid a little bit but being a helicopter parent is super detrimental.

I'll give an example; my mom was a helicopter parent to my younger sister; along with moving like 5 times in 8 years. Although my mom meant only the best (focus on school, get a good job, and be independent after), my younger sister, lacks the social and professional development that us 3 older siblings had at that age. She was better in school than all of us combined but is now on depression meds at 20 years old with little problem solving skills and ability to complete her adult responsibilities first.

Many times the following came out of my mouth ...
'I'm not your friend; I'm your father. It's my job to raise you right, so that you're successful and not a burden to society."

The above doesn't mean I was hateful or abused my kids in any manner; I loved them and we did have some laughs and fun times. But they didn't "like" me when they were young because I was tough on them; (it's probably hard to be a cop's kid).

Now that they are grown, they are respectful, strong, independent, hard-working, even-keeled examples of human endeavors.
And we get along quite well now.
I consider that a job well done.
Of course not. Even with us making sure our kids fully understood that we were in charge it was actually a very drama-free childhood for all three of them. We didn't yell and we didn't hit but my kids naturally had a healthy respect for my size and occasional "intensity". They only ever really saw intense me when it came to their mother - even now if they even so much raise their voice to their mother my tone changes very quickly and they just know to back down. Otherwise, we just speak to them like they're real people and we tell them what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong and they SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES of THEIR choices. We hold them accountable.

All three of the kids have made a comment or two about other households and parents of friends after they got old enough to spend significant time at other people's houses. They essentially would randomly say thank you both for not being jerks. I asked the 16-year-old if he thought his mother and I were hard on them and he said not at all, we weren't pushovers but we were also very chill compared to other people's parents, and he always understood why we were upset in a situation.

I'll take that as a win...

I think Jennifer and I lucked out. Both of our children are successful, generally make good decisions and learn from their poor decisions.

I wasn’t a hard, tough Dad.

I always felt I needed to teach them through example. How to treat a woman: their Mom. How to work: really hard. How to never give up. That complaining will not get you anywhere. That it OK to make mistakes as long as you own up to them; and try new things and admit it’s not for you.

It worked.

This is not to discredit the incredible Mom that Jennifer was to our children. She kept the entire family centered and continues to do so.

I think many of us take the good (and bad) and try to do as best as possible. Not everyone is as fortunate to get those experiences or have supportive family. I have friends that were in abusive and neglected families between spouses and the kids. They never wanted to go home and were happy to stay long hours with close friends and families rather than home. Many parents don't know how to support or help as they didn't have it. My wife works in elementary school and she is like a baby sitter often between the unruly kids and those that parents don't know English, math and many societal skills. The parents as others say that call and fight with teachers that their kids don't want to do homework so they won't and administrators say OK. They can't correct the kids wrong spellings etc, no red pens, hurts their feelings. My wife would erase my kids stuff if they were to sloppy or lazy.

She stayed home for about 6-7 years when son was born then daughter. Played, taught, did projects. Money was not easy, lots of cut backs, still paying for some of them. I've been on overnights for over 18 years as it let me be home daytime to get them off the bus, start home works help wife with dinners. My vacation days were Cub Scout and Boyscout trips, Dance and Cheerleading, football, lacrosse etc. 3+ hour drives to PA for a 3 minute cheer competition and 3+ hours back.

Mine are now 20 and 24. Both graduated college in 3 years Suma Cum Laude and Magna Cum Laude. One is in PA school, one going for OT grad school. We "forced" :unsure: them to talk to adults at stores, ask the questions, make phone calls. Behave in restaurants, please, thank you. They had to help with chores. They also got to go on all the school trips (even over seas and CA on school breaks without us).

Son made Eagle Scout, Daughter on National Champ Cheer team 2x. Both started working at 16. Both were in sports but didn't always want to stay but we said sorry, you committed for this year, next year that can change if you want but you will not let your teammates down this season. We also had their backs and did yell at principals when they got in a fight or two standing up against bullying toward them or their friends that the schools didn't address. My wife said yesterday at dinner about constant in trouble kid who poured food on my sons head in high school then ran to other side of table, my son leaped the table put him in headlock, choking him. They wanted to suspend him for 3 days. Wife was at school in 10 minutes saying you can put him at in school detention per policy which is still BS but he will be in his 4 classes that he has AP tests in. You will not jeopardize his tests and future because of an A-Hole that you can't control. My son aced the tests, missed 3 days of football practice and couldn't play one game. None of the bullies ever went by him or his friends again.

So for all the dads supporting correctly, being a team with the mom if possible, rocking solo if not. Keep up the good work! You are way ahead of the curve. Happy fathers day for tomorrow!

scan272.jpg

I have always been close to my parents and we were repeatedly moving back and forth between the US and the UK between the late '80s and mid-'90s when I was a teen. We did many things together, including weekend activities and going on holiday a few times a year. I had a lot of freedom growing up. During the week I was mostly left to my own devices and I was usually the first to come back home in the evening. My grades were good and I didn't hang out with the wrong crowd. That started only over the past few years here at the board. ;) The worst thing I did was secretly own a motorcycle and almost kill myself by crashing it into a city bus at age 12. My parents still don't know. I hope they don't read my posts. :eek: My son lost his mother when he was 12 and I left him a lot of room while he was growing up. I think he was more worried about me than I was worried about him. While he was free to do as he wished, we always hung out very regularly, doing sports, going on trips, and working on hobby projects. He finished high school at 16. He'll be 23 this year and is living and working in Japan for at least one year. I don't worry. I know he'll be fine. He's been self-reliant and he knows how to set and achieve long-term goals. He calls me using LINE every week to ask how I'm doing. Maybe he thinks I'm spending his inheritance. 🤣

I understand parents being fearful and having concerns about their children's safety. Location matters, of course. The Tenderloin isn't the same as Greenbay. What I don't understand is how keeping the kids protected and smothering them every single minute until they leave the house at what 25? prepares them to live independent lives. Some of my neighbors' teens can't leave their backyards or driveways without a chaperone. When I was a young teen I'd take the bus from Sherman Oaks to Santa Monica and I survived. Without telling my parents, I got myself a job as a pool boy, cleaning the dirty pools of rich, bored, and often suicidal Hollywood housewives. I survived them, too. After high school, I joined the merchant marine for a year. Mom was slightly worried, Dad said, don't do what grandpa did in the Navy. I can't tell that story here. Anyway, unlike my grandpa, I did not end up needing medical treatment. 👏

Last edited:
I have to sit daily and overhear my coworker's conversations with her teenagers, and it makes me borderline insane. They are helpless, frantic, and completely lacking in their own mental resources, and I can say with some confidence that it's my coworker's fault. I listen to the conversations and hear her tell them that she'll take care of it, she'll do it, she'll make it right, etc. instead of giving them some instruction on what to do and making them do it themselves. Her daughter called her last week in a panic because the home computer was not responding to the keyboard. After a few questions, it was determined that the battery in the keyboard had died, and it needed to be plugged in for a while. I'm not exaggerating when I say this girl was panicked and had no idea what might be wrong or what to do. But this is the girl who also ran her car out of gas in front of her friend's house 3 weeks ago and her father had to bring a gas can to rescue her. Even though the gas gauge was pointing past E and the gas light had probably been been on for miles and miles (2015 Lexus RX), she couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start, and immediately called Mommy. It's sickening to listen to. Some of today's parents are raising helpless morons who thrive on instant gratification, and whether they realize it or not, that puts our society at risk.

I have to sit daily and overhear my coworker's conversations with her teenagers, and it makes me borderline insane. They are helpless, frantic, and completely lacking in their own mental resources, and I can say with some confidence that it's my coworker's fault. I listen to the conversations and hear her tell them that she'll take care of it, she'll do it, she'll make it right, etc. instead of giving them some instruction on what to do and making them do it themselves. Her daughter called her last week in a panic because the home computer was not responding to the keyboard. After a few questions, it was determined that the battery in the keyboard had died, and it needed to be plugged in for a while. I'm not exaggerating when I say this girl was panicked and had no idea what might be wrong or what to do. But this is the girl who also ran her car out of gas in front of her friend's house 3 weeks ago and her father had to bring a gas can to rescue her. Even though the gas gauge was pointing past E and the gas light had probably been been on for miles and miles (2015 Lexus RX), she couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start, and immediately called Mommy. It's sickening to listen to. Some of today's parents are raising helpless morons who thrive on instant gratification, and whether they realize it or not, that puts our society at risk.
Some parents turn willingly into staff rather than being guides. Problem solving and life skills are learned by trial and error and hopefully success.

Some parents turn willingly into staff rather than guides. Problem-solving skills are learned. Saw a big kid get his shoes tied by his daddy. Imagine the kid has to go #2. Yikes!

Back