Really impressed with Monster Jam / an ode to motorsport

Attended my first Monster Jam event at Ford Field today in Detroit. I have to say, I love how the series operates. Also, it’s super underrated and needs more eyeballs on it.

I am admittedly a racing super fan. Been following racing and attending races since I was a little kid. I follow F1, INDYCAR and IMSA very closely, but never really paid attention to monster trucks; they always seemed like the WWE of the racing world. My son, who just turned 7, also loves racing. He’ll talk F1 and INDYCAR with anyone who will listen 😄 For the past year or so, he’s been really into monster trucks, and will routinely watch them on YouTube. He’s collected about 20 or so model trucks and plays with them all the time, so we decided we’d all go when they visited our backyard.

Overall, the event was awesome. It honestly was an eye-opening experience and one I won’t soon forget. I really only have one quibble with it, and that’s the fan voting system for the “Skills” and “Freestyle” rounds that inevitably leads to the fan-favorite trucks/drivers getting higher than deserved scores. It was a moot point though, because the show itself was super impressive. It starts off with one-on-one sprint races. The accuracy with which these guys/girls drive these massive vehicles is insane. Some more than others. It’s like precision rally racing with a 12k lb truck. I have no idea how they do it, but the finesse these drivers have is astonishing. That skill showed throughout the competition.

Also, from a marketing standpoint, Monster Jam has very recognizable sponsors and is super kid friendly (I’m looking at you, INDYCAR). Genius move to keep the kids involved while also appealing to the adults. And I know I’m not alone in this, but… race cars should always sound like race cars. You will never sell me on electric when it comes to racing. The sounds these trucks make is outrageous. You can feel it. It adds so much to the experience and adds an emotion that I don’t ever want to not be present.

This last one is special to me, because although I’m the one who introduced and grew the love for racing in my son, I can honestly say that he introduced me to this form of motorsport and helped me learn it. Motorsport has always been special to me, and it is even more so now.

Taking the kids to MonsterJam was one of the best things we ever did as a family.
Kids researched the trucks, Connor liked Monster Mutt, Rhiannon MadUSA (grevedigger myself), they did thei posters, got fist bumpede by drivers...talked about it for months.

Alas...

asn we get rubbish "monster trucks" here with chassis made out of bridge girders, and rusty smallblocks.

My brother and nephew next tonight as well….they love those! I will be going next year myself…….

Back