Rules: In our modern society today--which ones are routinely broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not find an existing thread....

Are rules meant to be broken today?

I've been a people watcher at the YMCA. And basically during family swim.

The YMCA identifies kids 16 and under (some conflicting docs say 12 and under) by 3 colors, green, orange, red bands that every child is supposed to have.

Basically green is all access but supposedly parent must be on deck.

Orange means shallow water only and parents must be on deck.

Red means cannot swim without PFD and parent needs to be in water.

In our Y, half of the pool is roped off as the deep area (it's also got 3 lanes and can be used for lap swimming, so that's 12.5 yards times 3 lanes roped off for green only).

I have personally seen parents sneak their kids into the green only area, with orange, and scary, even red. I saw a kid tell his dad no and dad kept telling kid c'mon. The kid had no PFD and was trying to get his red band off his wrist (likely he knew they were breaking the rules and didn't want the red band to be seen).

I follow the rules and I would insist I'm not a chump. They're in place for a reason, and it caused a lot of inconvenience for me and my son when he was only orange. Now, sometimes, my son and I have the entire half of the pool to ourselves due to his green band.

All of the above enforcement is left to HS kids, and imho they're soft as it is, let alone, able to challenge parents. Even school teachers don't nowadays.

I've seen parents hop over a wall from this pool, to the family pool, whistle blown, and they ignore it.

I know what my buddy would say, I'm the problem. I notice these things, and do nothing about them. I just don't think it's that simple.

Lap pool is green only and there is etiquette. I saw an entire family of 4 jump in to a lane where there were already 2 people swimming, and a girl has orange. As if they would intimidate the others to leave? lol

I suppose our friends belong to clubs and they avoid the Y. But I feel the Y is value and if they ran it better it would be a great place.

What do you think about rules, and what are other scenarios that you've noticed? There are so many.

When rules are too complicated or arbitrary, few people will follow them. Case in point.
You have a very good point--first of all, not all kids even have a band. You made me think of a theme park, where you buy a season pass for free drinks. But there are 4 valid colors and then an additional 2 that mean good only for the day. How in the heck is a 16 y.o. supposed to remember which color is what, when the line is backed up? My observation? They refill all for free.

All you have to do is get in your car/truck or SUV and drive once. People not using turn signals or running red lights is the normal these days. People dont have respect in most cases now a days. Luv thy neighbor is long forgotten --- sad but true...
I clearly remember pointing out the lack of turn signals (growing up in CT), before I could drive. My parents would ask me why do you care? What are they doing to you that's making you notice? At any rate, it explains that I've always observed behavior, and I think the YMCA family swim is really a trip....the lap pool less so because it tends to be older adults, but sometimes younger kids practicing too. The only oddities there are when it backs up and people are waiting, but no drama at all....

Wendy's
What you order has nothing in common with what you will actually get...
We used to get coupons for BK, and when I went to use any of them, I would marvel that the place even can stay in existence. Nobody here, simple order, literally 10 minutes later, waiting. KFC was the same. Wouldn't you know the BK near us got completely remodeled? What is going on? :giggle:

We used to get coupons for BK, and when I went to use any of them, I would marvel that the place even can stay in existence. Nobody here, simple order, literally 10 minutes later, waiting. KFC was the same. Wouldn't you know the BK near us got completely remodeled? What is going on? :giggle:
Never go to Popeyes 😂

Driving around with the high beams on all the time is also pretty normal around here.
That's interesting...it's too dense here to even use them--I really don't get a chance to turn on high beams at all. When I was a college student my 264 volvo had an issue with the turn signal stalk and I could not dim them for a MA trooper who did a u turn and pulled me over. When I told him, he reached in, saw that when he pushed my turn signal stalk a couple of times the lights did not respond. He then told me get it fixed and let me on my way...I had another incident with a MA trooper same road, and he wrote me a warning and let me go. Apparently that time he was following me for 7 miles with his lights on before I pulled over...sigh. Never had a problem with any state trooper except in NYS. I have to look up the highway but it's from CT to Albany through western MA.

Heh, my kids are begining to drive and what they see on the road bugs them, people not using blinkers etc. Not sure what to make of that, other than to tell them, get used to it.

Driving around with the high beams on all the time is also pretty normal around here.
I see a lot of it too but am never sure if it’s not just those darn bright LED’s that are commonplace now. So I’ve stopped high beaming them, especially since few know what that means.

Never go to Popeyes 😂
We used to go there when they had something like 11 pieces for $12.99 or something where the price was almost $1/piece (not anymore). I was always fascinated by the way they would select the pieces--they seemed to turn 2-4 pieces and not take them, before putting one in the box....

We used to go there when they had something like 11 pieces for $12.99 or something where the price was almost $1/piece (not anymore). I was always fascinated by the way they would select the pieces--they seemed to turn 2-4 pieces and not take them, before putting one in the box....
I love the Banquet 8 PC supermarket fiasco...
A huge chicken breast but actually it is a rather small thigh packed with a 3inch circumference of bread.. absolutely true.

I love the Banquet 8 PC supermarket fiasco...
A huge chicken breast but actually it is a rather small thigh packed with a 3inch circumference of bread.. absolutely true.
I think when I first got my house in 2002, I would buy Banquet spicy wings, which were breaded, at the local Super Fresh supermarket. This market was more expensive but the wings themselves were less than Pathmark or ACME. They were around $3.19 and I bought tons, like 4 boxes at once, froze them, and microwaved at will. May not sound that great microwaved, but they were tasty! Those were the good ol' days. Heck even my 1998 Maxima was only 4 1/2 y.o.......

I actually have a FEAR of fast food (workers) , not the food! I have seen stuff behind the counters I wish I had not.
There was even story in the news about the latest "dare" young ones do by going into stores and licking the top of
ice cream and placing it back in the freezer. The police caught a few of them and one guy was in his 30s! Social media
is like a college for anti social and criminal behavior these days.

I actually have a FEAR of fast food (workers) , not the food! I have seen stuff behind the counters I wish I had not.
There was even story in the news about the latest "dare" young ones do by going into stores and licking the top of
ice cream and placing it back in the freezer. The police caught a few of them and one guy was in his 30s! Social media
is like a college for anti social and criminal behavior these days.
It used to be a Comcast worker got caught asleep on the job, and got fired as a result. Now, he gets more subs and more money from his channel!

p.s I don't ever send food back....visions of Road Trip 2000 and the french toast was it? Not enough sugar?

The high beams thing is a political statement I wouldn't describe here.

May I say, the worst cancer we have is very small people feeling the need to stand for something.

It's always the other guy who's wrong.....never you or yours.

Oh, and the fact that more and more people are stupider and stupider every day helps this decay along.

IBTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back