For those of us a bit long in the tooth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here.
My parents always watched it, and thought archie was the smartest person around.
In later years my parents loved Golden Girls, and especially Everybody Loves Raymond. I said why do you think the Raymond show is so funny? Do you see yourselves in his parents? Didn’t go over so well 😆

Here you go…I’m sitting in bed reading chapter 2 for a Human Resources class that starts Monday and here’s a quick blurb on gererational differences between workers. Certainly not all inclusive but there are significant differences for sure.

View attachment 167379
I could see that. What is yet to be seen is what us Gen X'ers do as we get older: will our cynisim get worse or better? but as part of the whatever generation, I might not care what the answer is...

Since you're looking at some HR stuff, this might be helpful:

Yet, we Gen X'ers are responsible for the mess that are millennials and Gen Z. Somehow we took are free-spirited childhoods that we wax poetic about all the time now and we turned it into a reason to hover over and infantilize the next two generations. Parenting is dead and it started with Gen X and it is now being made worse by millennials.

Maybe some did, but not my Gen X wife or I.

We raised our daughters to be kind, but tough, playing outside, riding horses and pedal bikes all over, they had daily chores, and minimal screen time.
Now that I am raising my 6 year old, same thing.
She is home schooled, and rarely in the house from 7am till 5pm unless doing school work.
The rear tire blew on her pedal bike, when i looked it blew because it was completely worn out, which is a good thing, it means she rides it a lot.
She has chores to do every day, and never complains about them.
Last week while in town one day i had a chiropractor appointment. While sitting in the waiting room I gave her my phone to play with, and that was the grand total of her computer/phone/tablet time for the week, except for a 5 minute phone call she got on my phone, from her grandparents on her dads side, and a 2 minute call she made from my phone to her friend, inviting her friend to the pool with us when we went.

I like public education and I think that it can be whatever you want it to be for your kids. If you want to engage the teachers and your kids are eager to learn, you may find that it could be rewarding endeavor. Teachers have been beaten down and I can't imagine any young person wanting to grow up to be a teacher in the current environment.
Me too on the public education. I think I mentioned it or I did in a PM.

My son’s 3rd grade had an art show and music concert.

At the very end they introduced a graduate of the elementary who just graduated our HS, and he was wearing a Williams College t shirt. It made me feel good that someone from my son’s elementary is headed for an excellent college. Just showed me what’s possible.

Maybe some did, but not my Gen X wife or I.

We raised our daughters to be kind, but tough, playing outside, riding horses and pedal bikes all over, they had daily chores, and minimal screen time.
Now that I am raising my 6 year old, same thing.
She is home schooled, and rarely in the house from 7am till 5pm unless doing school work.
The rear tire blew on her pedal bike, when i looked it blew because it was completely worn out, which is a good thing, it means she rides it a lot.
She has chores to do every day, and never complains about them.
Last week while in town one day i had a chiropractor appointment. While sitting in the waiting room I gave her my phone to play with, and that was the grand total of her computer/phone/tablet time for the week, except for a 5 minute phone call she got on my phone, from her grandparents on her dads side, and a 2 minute call she made from my phone to her friend, inviting her friend to the pool with us when we went.
Same here...but you and I are a rarity as far as parenting style.

I could see that. What is yet to be seen is what us Gen X'ers do as we get older: will our cynisim get worse or better? but as part of the whatever generation, I might not care what the answer is...

Since you're looking at some HR stuff, this might be helpful:

I have more millenials on the pay roll than any other generation. In my experience they are great workers, up early, work hard, self motivated, listen to and follow directions great, and I appreciate them very much.
By far the generation I have the most mistakes made by, and hardest to get them to listen, and work well, is boomers.
Gen X, Y, and Z are all fine.
Boomers are hit or miss, about 1 in 3 are okay, the other 2 out of 3 are useless.
Where as 97% of Gen X are good employees, 95% of Gen Y, and 93% of Gen Z.

But give me Gen X and Y employees all day, every day, and the Z are pretty good to.

Boomers are often whining about something to, i finally last year fired one because he seemed to think that I was his own personal complaint department. I swear that guy alone complained more than 500 others combined. In fact, the last 5 people who were fired in a row, all boomers. They seem to have some odd sense of entitlement just because they are old, and think that rules only apply to others.

Last edited:
This thread has devolved into talk about racism, and one generation blaming another.
BITOG is not a platform for societal problem resolution. That stuff belongs elsewhere, not here.
Locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back