For those of us a bit long in the tooth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I encounter a bunch of 20 something ladies daily...they call me Mister Jim.
My neighbor gal is 27 and does the same but I tell her she is an adult and Jim is fine. You still says Mister...
Respectful young guys say Sir
I actually called my wife's cousin's husband's parents, Mr. and Mrs., years ago. They said c'mon John, please, it's Greg and Nancy.

Just how I was raised, but, they are not my parents' ages, probably they were born early 50's....but for real we have the Grateful Dead in common so maybe it was way too formal....

So then why did your generation (I'll assume Boomers) raise the current generation (Millenials primarily) like you did to be what you didn't want? I'm a GenX (so my parents are Silents...not Boomers) and my kids and their friends (Z/Zoomers) seem to be just fine...they basically had a "free range" childhood to some degree like I did. Folks always reminisce about the old days and how current gens have ruined it.
TV and computers slash cell phones raised many.

I actually called my wife's cousin's husband's parents, Mr. and Mrs., years ago. They said c'mon John, please, it's Greg and Nancy.

Just how I was raised, but, they are not my parents' ages, probably they were born early 50's....but for real we have the Grateful Dead in common so maybe it was way too formal....
Funny...you can use it to get your point across too. My new 30 something neighbor calls me Jim...hey great...no problem. I don't sweat that stuff.
As a test I started calling him Mister Rick and he started calling me Mister Jim 😂

My barber used to slather on Hopalong Cassidy Hair Tonic in my bristle after a fresh boy's haircut in the 50's.

View attachment 146696
Pinaud was big back in my day, my barber would splash this on me, Loved it, great smell. :D

1689525816166.png

I remember putting my foot on my mouth years ago. My mother had a little get together and I was there with my kids and cousins. My 8 year old daughter and her 13 year old twin cousins went for a walk around the block. The cousins' mother had an anxiety attack when they didn't return home in 5 minutes and started crying. I told her not to worry, that her twins were with my daughter who would keep them safe. Then I realized that 13 year olds should not need an 8 year old to supervise them.

Things are different today. I don't think kids get on and off the school bus without adult supervision these days like we did in the 70s.

Hey I'm old, I've lived through good times and bad times. Don't be too hard on today's kids. I do not envy the world my grandchildren will grow up in.

Brown vs Board of Ed was 69 years ago and in your 60 years, you never recall racism of any kind? Lol...this is an unfathomable position for anyone to have no matter where you lived. You'd have to be incredibly sheltered, oblivious, wantingly ignorant of what's going on in the world, or some combination of all of these to never recall racism of any kind back in the day. It's just a fact that it was everywhere "back in the day".
Nope....none that I can recall. Grew up in mostly the Pacific Northwest, not exactly 'sheltered'. You make it sound like you are the preferred arbiter of what was and wasn't racist. Might I remind you it is YOUR OPINION. I had black friends, Native American friends, and hispanic friends and they never even said a thing about being treated unfairly in regard to race nor did I witness anything of the kind when we hung out.....and we were close. This exaggerated fallacy that we were all somehow rampant racists back then is hogwash. As a matter of fact things are far more racist now than they were back then. Call me 'ignorant'....I don't much care.

Nope....none that I can recall. Grew up in mostly the Pacific Northwest, not exactly 'sheltered'. You make it sound like you are the preferred arbiter of what was and wasn't racist. Might I remind you it is YOUR OPINION. I had black friends, Native American friends, and hispanic friends and they never even said a thing about being treated unfairly in regard to race nor did I witness anything of the kind when we hung out.....and we were close. This exaggerated fallacy that we were all somehow rampant racists back then is hogwash. As a matter of fact things are far more racist now than they were back then. Call me 'ignorant'....I don't much care.
Who said EVERYONE was a racist back then? No one is implying you or your friends or your parents were racists either. However, do you mean to tell me with TV and new papers and school you were TOTALLY unaware of ANY racism in the US? It would just be the most amazing claim I've heard in a long time. I mean the Voting Rights Act wasn't passed until 1965...surely you knew the reason why it was necessary considering the 15th Amendment was passed in 1870? Just poof...it all just went away as far as you knew?

I'm not trying to beat the horse here but it is a miraculous claim...

I wasn't born until 1970, but much of what I recall was as how @RTexasF described. I was fortunate to have both parents. We lived in a lower mid-class subdivision built in the late 1950s of basically identical 1000sq/ft Cape Cod style homes. My family of 6 lived in one w/ a single bathroom.

Fast forward 5 decades, I have a family of 6. My wife an I have been married 24yrs. Kids are 21,19,17,11. I've worked my butt off so my wife could be a stay at home mom. We live in a rural-ish area in a good smaller school district. My hart aches every day with the feeling I should have / could have done better for my kids. I believe I've done my kids an injustice by sending them to public schools. I've been trying to convince my wife to home school the 11yr/old things are getting so bad IMO.

I guess where I'm going with this, do you think our fathers felt the same way? Mine passed years ago, but I believe he was happy how we all turned out.

I like public education and I think that it can be whatever you want it to be for your kids. If you want to engage the teachers and your kids are eager to learn, you may find that it could be rewarding endeavor. Teachers have been beaten down and I can't imagine any young person wanting to grow up to be a teacher in the current environment.

Here you go…I’m sitting in bed reading chapter 2 for a Human Resources class that starts Monday and here’s a quick blurb on gererational differences between workers. Certainly not all inclusive but there are significant differences for sure.

IMG_4935.jpeg

Reactions: Pew
Many will have no idea what this means. A privileged few in my age group will understand. It's a little lengthy but worth your time. Not written by me, I don't have the talent.

When I was growing up I never once questioned my parents' income, it was never a discussion. We didn't eat a lot of fast food because it was considered a treat, not a food group. We drank Kool-Aid made from water that came from our kitchen sink with real sugar. We ate bologna sandwiches, or even tuna (which was in a can not a pouch), PB&J & grilled cheese sandwiches, hot dogs, but mostly homemade meals consisting of meat, potatoes, and vegetables.
We grew up during a time when we mowed lawns, pulled weeds, babysat, helped neighbors with chores to be able to earn our own money. We by no means were given everything we wanted.
We went outside a lot to play, ride bikes, run with friends, play hide and seek, or went swimming. We rarely just sat inside. We drank tap water from the water hose outside, bottled water was unheard of. If we had a coke, it was in a glass bottle, and we didn’t break the bottle when finished. We saved it and cashed it back in at the store for a refund.
We watched TV shows like Sky King, Leave It To Beaver, Gilligan's Island, Happy Days, Bewitched, Father Knows Best, Looney Tunes, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Disney on Sunday night, McHales Navy, Andy Griffith, and I Love Lucy. Mom and dad decided everything we watched or didn’t watch. After school, we came home and did homework and chores, before going outside or having friends over. We would ride our bikes for hours. We had to tell our parents where we were going, who we were going with, and be home when it got dark.
You LEARNED from your parents instead of disrespecting them, and treating them as if they knew absolutely nothing. What they said was LAW, and you did not question it, and you had better know it!
We watched what we said around our elders because we knew if we DISRESPECTED any grown-up we would get our behinds whipped, it wasn't called abuse, it was called discipline! We held doors, carried groceries, and gave up our seat for an older person without being asked. You didn't hear curse words on the radio in songs or TV, and if you cursed and got caught you had a bar of soap stuck in your mouth.
“Please, Thank you, yes please, no thank you, yes ma'am, no ma'am yes sir, and no sir were part of our daily vocabulary!
The world we live in now is just so full of crooked people, hate and disrespect for others
Re-post if you're thankful for your childhood. I will never forget where I came from and only wish children now days had half the chance at the fun and respect for real life we grew up with! And we were never bored!
The world would be so much better if kids were raised the way my generation was!!!

Amen!

My teen years (the 70s) were rough. But I would not trade even one day. The movie The Sandlot could have been copied from my pre-teens childhood. It was awesome. About 1972 we discovered something. We found out you could collect pop bottles and return them to the store for a refund! "Get outta town!" Every other day we made a bottle run and each ended up with a couple bucks. Then commenced to all get sick as a dog with the candy and soda vending machines! 🤢 Our one crime we commited was spur of the moment. We approached a store we had never returned bottles to and noticed crates of them right next to the drink machines. Of course we all grabbed a few bonus bottles. Walking out we heard someone "hey get those darned kids, they just sold us a bunch of bottles we already had and marked!" Took off running like mad down the train tracks and right out of town. RR tracks ran along a 2 land country black top
with one or two farm houses surrounded by large fields. A police car comes pulling up and a deputy none of us knew called to us from his car - large ditch was between the tracks we were on and the road.... Asked if we the idiots who just left the store. We told him we were and we lived in that farm house about 2/3 mile down the road. After he asked if our parents were home he took off going to deal with them. Of course since that was a lie, we burned our feet running for then nearest woods and spent the day like fugitives and learned a hard lesson about crime! LOL None of us I can recall ever had trouble with the law since. There are 4 of us still around who talk a couple times a year and still laugh about how stupid we were then. I do miss the respect almost everyone showed for each other. You could hitch hike and do all sorts of things (trust strangers) etc..... People went out of their way to be courteous and show care for fellow humans. I do not see much of that these days.

I remember putting my foot on my mouth years ago. My mother had a little get together and I was there with my kids and cousins. My 8 year old daughter and her 13 year old twin cousins went for a walk around the block. The cousins' mother had an anxiety attack when they didn't return home in 5 minutes and started crying. I told her not to worry, that her twins were with my daughter who would keep them safe. Then I realized that 13 year olds should not need an 8 year old to supervise them.

Things are different today. I don't think kids get on and off the school bus without adult supervision these days like we did in the 70s.
I remember our school buses were gas and diesel, auto and manual. I would hope the bus would be a diesel and a manual

We lived on a road with a circle at the end. So if we missed it, we would stand on the opposite side, in fear. Because here we go “Mrs. Kendall” didn’t like to stop on the way back, so it was safety in numbers. If alone, I was scared.

Today, I see kids dilly dallying even when bus is waiting and traffic halted. And I bet they are clueless if the bus is powered by propane, natural gas, gas, or diesel. And they don’t wish it had a stick! 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back