How Many Millennials Here On BITOG? Check-In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. We actually had phones like that in school so the teacher could grab it and go back and sit at their desk but still be on the phone. The phones were wall mounted. I’ve heard most now are on their desk.

I never went to a school where the classrooms all had phones, but I think it became more common in the late 90s.

Saw this today. Now I understand why they can't afford a house. I'm middle age and *I* can't afford a house in most of these places:

I saw a posting that said I think in 1965 the price of a new home was either 2 or 2.5 times the average persons income. Many places in Colorado it's 8-10 times the average persons income. When my grandma was 17 she was on her own. Her rent was $7 a week or $28 a month. Her weekly take home was about $25 a week. I think she said she could get overtime and make about $30 per week. She was an operator for the phone company.

Certain jobs I'm seeing are like this now. If you want to become a professional pilot or an A&P with extra certification you're more or less sticking with that path. I'm involved with an EAA group and to even consider hosting young eagle events significantly adds more cost to the chapter. High school students involved with aviation are seeing sticker shock on flight training. I can't believe Cessna 172's are a half million dollars now.

Born in '88, I'm right in the middle of the Millennial generation(BTW, the name comes from the fact that we basically were growing up/coming of age/spending our teenage years right around the year 2000 and our teenage years were defined by 2000s culture and things like September 11th).

I'm someone who likes a lot of old things, but also enjoy technology and all that's come with it.

BTW, I've seen it speculated that we may well end up being the most computer and tech-savvy generation. I learned to use a computer using DOS and Windows 3.11. I've always been interested in/tinkered with computers, but we were the generation that saw computers evolve from early home PCs(with primitive if any GUIs) to what they are now, and were of prime age(teenagers and early 20s) when smartphones started to become "a thing." Anecdotally as someone who teaches Gen Z students(fresh out of high school) I feel lie there's actually been a decline in technological literacy, and many Gen Zers struggle with things like understanding directory structures and the like.

My generation has its faults, but then all generations do. For a lot of the current discussions around home ownership, etc-look at average wages over say the last 20 years as compared to overall cost of living and in particular home/rent prices as well as vehicle prices. Tightening your belt and saving your money on a minimum wage job just doesn't cut it, and to that subject look up some historical minimum wages from say 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, and current and plug those into inflation calculators-it's pretty enlightening and makes some of the current dollars thrown around for an "appropriate" minimum wage not look all that crazy(plus federal minimum wage is still the same as it was when I was in college-not to sidetrack too much but I remember thinking I'd struck it rich in 2008 when I got a full time 37.5 hour/week for the summer internship paying $10/hour...and yes that was good money for a college student then).

Born 1985 here though I've felt more like Gen X in that I was a latchkey kid, I didn't have helicopter parents that many articles about Millennials seem to describe. Having immigrant parents played a part in that too. A lot of my elementary and high school days were spent bicycling with friends and exploring the woods, though later on it was much more StarCraft and Counterstrike heavy.

I don't feel bothered by the common criticisms of my generation because I feel like an outlier, and I suspect any millennial who is on this board is too.

Anecdotally as someone who teaches Gen Z students(fresh out of high school) I feel lie there's actually been a decline in technological literacy, and many Gen Zers struggle with things like understanding directory structures and the like.
I believe that. When I was growing up, desktop computers were the technology we interacted with the most. Now it's smartphones. In dealing with customers for my business I realized that none of them visited my website. I had to learn to deliver all of my business information in Instagrammable format.

1986 - I'm getting a chuckle out of the generational threads and how folks lump or try to distance themselves from each other.

'91 and first Gen. Dad is a late boomer I think and mom is a early gen x. I'm sure my dad's favorite phrase was "I lived by myself since I was 14. There's no reason for you to not know and do it yourself." So that attitude kinda got passed onto me. The stories my uncle's told me about him and back overseas where they were born makes America in general entitled and arrogant. I'm sure it's more of a culture problem than a generation problem.

1994 here, so towards the end of the millennial generation. I remember at a family gathering about 7-8 years, my aunt was spouting off about how all kids i.e. "millennials" were lazy. I then pointed out to her that you're the generation that raised us "lazy millennials" and you're also in fact, calling me and my younger brother lazy. She then corrected herself say that we were the exception. My experience has been that me and my brother aren't the exception. Sure, I know some lazy people my age, but I see lazy people of other generations too.

81 here. Never really put much thought into generations growing up. My sister was born in 91, & still have a hard time accepting that I am in the same group as her. I consider my younger brother born in 84 to be in the same group as me. We were riding our bikes to the local arcade to play MK1 & Street Fighter 2 while my sister was in diapers unable to even speak yet. I graduated high school in 2000, so I suppose the term millennial is appropriate. Not sure about the stereotype though. That seems to fit my sister's end & later part of the generation better. I got my driving permit & a job @15. Been driving, working, & managing myself since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back