Mobil1 5W40 FS x2: What is the point?

The majority of the general public is clueless about oil to begin with, and while a small percentage will understand viscosity it's still larger than the market that understands approvals. Furthermore, most BMW or MB owners that I know, don't even know where the hood release is. With the trend towards thinner oils including European makes, this 5w-40 maybe geared towards a market just simply looking for that grade for either domestic or imported models that are no longer under warranty. Thoughts?
Sure, however plenty to choose from. Rotella T6, Mobil1 TDT, Delvac Extreme, Chevron Delo, Valvoline Blue, Valvoline European Vehicle, Castrol Edge, all available in Wal Mart for those that don’t care for approvals. And add to that that they eliminated sizable crowd that knows about approvals that will go Castrol Edge 5W40, Valvoline EV 5W40, and in AZ and AAP always on sale PP Euro 5W40. If it is aimed at crowd that doesn’t care for approvals, why such large letters that indicate that oil is for European vehicles? And not to mention that next to it will be 0W40.
IDK, but looks to me as an attempt to chip away some customers similar to Annual Protection, which miserably failed.

Sure, however plenty to choose from. Rotella T6, Mobil1 TDT, Delvac Extreme, Chevron Delo, Valvoline Blue, Valvoline European Vehicle,
half of these are hdeos

the average buyer isn’t that into oils. they read 5w40 on a forum somewhere and they see “mobil 1” and a “european car formula” so they buy it

half of these are hdeos

the average buyer isn’t that into oils. they read 5w40 on a forum somewhere and they see “mobil 1” and a “european car formula” so they buy it
That was my point. People who just want “5W40” have plenty to choose from. If they don’t pay attention to approvals, why paying attention to the fact whether oil is HD or not?

Here is VOA on Russian web site of M1 5W40 FS X1. This X1 seems to have higher sulfated ash, aslo does not have MB229.5, but interestingly has Esters same like 0W40.

Wondering if X2 is just "dialed down" X1?
According to this link, Valvoline synpower 5-40 is in the same boat, no 229.5. And they pose the same question....Why only 229.3 when it's predecessor had 229.5. What engines are these oils designed for?

According to this link, Valvoline synpower 5-40 is in the same boat, no 229.5. And they pose the same question....Why only 229.3 when it's predecessor had 229.5. What engines are these oils designed for?
That is the question. I would expect from new arrival to fill void 0W40 left with LL01, but nope.
I do like HTHS. It is pretty good for relatively low KV100 for W40. It looks interesting for a track use without going with too high KV100.

But again, missing LL01 and MB229.5. I mean, ok, they sell to people who want 5W40 (those who are not looking approvals will get any 5W40) which is some customer base. But than you have people who want oil bcs. approvals and they eliminated most BMW owners and MB owners.
Can a 5w40 get an approval under the current revision of LL01?

So, I have seen this in AAP today:
View attachment 45136
Some PAO, mostly GTL. Rich in additives same as 0W40. Really good HTHS of 3.8. But no MB229.5. So, what is the point? I just hope they don’t plan to go away with 0W40.
Looks like a rebrand of this oil

That's what I figured it was when I saw it.

It is not. I was thinking same thing.
KV100 is lower in this oil.
But real difference is in MSDS. This X2 is 10-20% PAO, 30-50% GTL.
X1 just lists 50% Gr III.

Since it has Porche A40, I'm wondering if they just didn't want to pay for licensing since they already have the 0-40??

Back