Mobil1 5W40 FS x2: What is the point?

Interesting wonder how it compares to their 0w40
Here are VOAs of both, I have this in my Sportwagen now, used 0W40 in the past. From what I've read here, the 0W variants will have more PAO basestock. Additive packs look close to identical/variations are likely within the error ranges for the method.
Capture.JPG

Someone asked what FS X2 might mean.
FS might mean Full SAPS.
X2 might just be new marketing direction for oil lines? Though that's more of a wild guess. I have seen X1 and X3 in the names of some Mobil oils in Europe, if I recall correctly. Maybe they're trying to streamline and globalize naming? ESP being for moderate SAPS (ACEA C3?), FS being for Full SAPS (ACEA A3/B4?), the X# being from 1 worst 'quality' to 3 best 'quality'?
Just guessing, and I'm curious what others think.

E.g. https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-x3-0w-40
Interesting how it's not backwards compatible, not to be used in engines specced for C30, A40, etc... odd, especially the C30, since this is an ESP oil...??

(Looking at some of the north american Mobil oil naming, seems like anything but streamlined to me though, so I don't know :p)

Last edited:
OK, lol, looking at the names for NA and EU again, I'm at a loss what the X#s might really signify. Maybe just meant to be a mystery. lol

Here are VOAs of both, I have this in my Sportwagen now, used 0W40 in the past. From what I've read here, the 0W variants will have more PAO basestock. Additive packs look close to identical/variations are likely within the error ranges for the method.
View attachment 70191

Interesting how Liquimoly is lacking in moly compared to M1 lol. I have been using Liquimoly 5w40 in my Cayman requiring Porsche A40 spec because my local indy shop swears by it and prefers it to M1 0w40.

Interesting how Liquimoly is lacking in moly compared to M1 lol. I have been using Liquimoly 5w40 in my Cayman requiring Porsche A40 spec because my local indy shop swears by it and prefers it to M1 0w40.
my friend just because the name has xxxmoly in it doesn't mean that all the lines of LM are using it..the only sure one that has a lot of it (moly) is the flash green bottle one which is what LM became famous for. LM isnt what it used to be years ago .. got a good name and reputation but now its nothing special..in EUROPE only in germany is very famous and thats because now you can find it everywhere,like castrol..more suitable for VW though..most europeans buy castrol because its the cheapest one and has a good name , shell ,total and the rising one is motul..most porche guys who dont want to use mobil ,use motul..

Let me rephrase - prefers it to M1.

I am indifferent as they both carry the A40 approval. Just relaying my experience.
OK, but the key question is: why Porsche always preferred Mobil1 to other blenders? Not to mention that Liqui Moly is not a supplier to ANY German car manufacturer of ANY product.

OK, but the key question is: why Porsche always preferred Mobil1 to other blenders? Not to mention that Liqui Moly is not a supplier to ANY German car manufacturer of ANY product.
Good questions. Porsche has a longstanding recommendation of M1 products. No doubt they have developed a trust and reliance on their products performance.

As for the Liqui Moly preference by my local shop... perhaps its because its a boutique/specialty oil? Makes it feel more "custom" than an off the shelf oil? No idea.

Good questions. Porsche has a longstanding recommendation of M1 products. No doubt they have developed a trust and reliance on their products performance.

As for the Liqui Moly preference by my local shop... perhaps its because its a boutique/specialty oil? Makes it feel more "custom" than an off the shelf oil? No idea.
It's no different than if your local shop recommended Castrol or any other brand. It will vary shop to shop and tech to tech with their experience, biases, etc. which none of which may be based on the minutiae that is debated here on BITOG. LM does heavily market/sell through smaller indy Euro shops and online retailers, that's what the shop that I use uses/recommends but they are also not gong to tell you that M1 is junk for example.

That is what I am getting at. It is his relationship with people selling product.
There is a reason why Mobil1 is having long standing relationship with Porsche or other manufacturers. Decades of know-how, infrastructure etc.

i am not saying that its not a good oil, but could be a good deal also..just like any other manufacturer does..bmw back to castrol..i am sure you know that gtl shell is a good product, but castrol followers have always chosen their favourite brand over the factory blender...thus the comeback

Manufacturers like shops use to choose their oil supplier mainly based on an economical viewpoint.
Once upon a time Porsche used to use and recommend Shell, at least from the 60s up to the 80s or
even early 90s. That's how the sticker looks in the engine bay of my 930 (some google picture):

attachment-2793.jpg

Probably mid to late 1980s:

Motor_Porsche_Carrera_3_2_l.jpg

These stickers are still sold:

Shell-TMO-Sticker-Aufkleber-Porsche-911-930-964.jpg

"Erstbefüllung" = factory fill

Manufacturers like shops use to choose their oil supplier mainly based on an economical viewpoint.
Once upon a time Porsche used to use and recommend Shell, at least from the 60s up to the 80s or
even early 90s. That's how the sticker looks in the engine bay of my 930 (some google picture):

attachment-2793.jpg

Probably mid to late 1980s:

Motor_Porsche_Carrera_3_2_l.jpg

These stickers are still sold:

Shell-TMO-Sticker-Aufkleber-Porsche-911-930-964.jpg

"Erstbefüllung" = factory fill
It is much more than that. Developing, racing etc. many companies cannot deliver what Mobil1, Castrol, Shell, Total, ESSO etc. can.

Yes, but even many smaller blenders are able to meet Porsche A40, C30 and C40.
They just cannot make it that cheap as the biggies can.
More than that the big players are actually developing/improving base oils, additives, etc...they have extensive R&D.
The small blenders are always going to be a step behind whether it be in performance or cost.
That's not to say they can't meet certain specifications or offer better products, but over the long run they are using technology that someone else developed so they will be at a disadvantage in some respect.

Back