Porsche GT3 /RS A40 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for reminding me of what's wrong with this forum. Lots of of smart individuals that will tell you why you're wrong, even though you didn't say what they think you said. Very few will actually explain what's better and why. Tear things down, don't build them.

I posted 2 used oil analylsis from Porsche 997 with DI40 to have oil analysis as a reference. Others had posted trend analysis on a seperate forum, which I did not include, with wear metals generally lowers with Driven Oils than Mobil 1 Euro. I am after the A40 oil or A40 similiar that will give me the least engine wear, over fuel economy or over horsepower.
You can be after which oil gives the least wear but you will not determine that through a UOA.

And why do you need reminding? You just got here not long ago.

Porsche Carrera Cup teams go 30-40 hours and they Must use M1 0w40 as it is the Spec oil....There is a new M1 0w40 coming now replaces the X3, it's "CGT" but no-one has any yet. The oil they used last season was plain black label "European Formula" Mobil 1. Bought at Wal-Mart. Rebuilds are extra conservative, we've seen Carrera Cup motors go well over 150 hours, no problem at all.

I will take an oil with manufacturer approvals, with a few million $ in development and tons of actual engine testing behind it, rather than overpriced 'boutique' oils, any day.

Who cares what the base oil is or how moly or or whatever other specs off PDS/SDS. It's the functional performance that matters. And without OEM approvals you have zero idea of what the performance is in the engine. If you really want to spend the money then go for something like Motul 300V or Mobil 1's own racing oils. Both being companies that do significant engine testing and have a proven track record in professional racing. Last time I checked M1 is the lubricant development partner for Porsche and races their oils in many series including F1. As Oliver noted, it's well known that off the shelf M1 0W-40 has been used by many teams racing 911's for many many years.

And if you're not putting serious track mileage on your car, take your pick of 40wt A40 oils and the engine won't know a difference. There's also M1 5W-50.

Last edited:
What's far better than Driven DI40, and how do you know? Just curious, how you make that assessment? It's a very popular oil with the Porsche crowd, and a lot of positive wear analysis trends once Porsche folks shifted away from Mobil 1 to Driven DT 40 and DI40.

DI40 is a mPAO oil, with low detegerents, high HTHS, high ZDDP. Looks pretty good to me. HTHS of 4.3 for a 5w40 is pretty solid.

I was against using it since it did not carry A40 approval, but Driven DI40 will likely be my next oil in my GT3 RS. Either DI40 or Motul 300v.

Dundon Motorsports has done tear downs on A40 Spec'd Porsche Engine's and their assessment is oils with high ZDDP and high viscocity are best for protecting these engines. Their favorites are Amsoil 10-40 and Motul 300V.
I can see on PDS that other oils have better formulations. Motul, HPL, Amsoil, Redline, Nulon etc. It has mediocre Noack; it has a very high pour point for PAO-based oil. 4.3 HTHS is good, but what for? Do you actually need that HTHS or formulation? Is design such a way to compensate for shearing?
Low detergency? How is that good on the street? How is that good for you? This is racing oil. Unless you are racing or spend a lot of time on the track, you are FAR better with street oils. Racing oils are a "one trick pony."

Thanks for reminding me of what's wrong with this forum. Lots of of smart individuals that will tell you why you're wrong, even though you didn't say what they think you said. Very few will actually explain what's better and why. Tear things down, don't build them.

I posted 2 used oil analylsis from Porsche 997 with DI40 to have oil analysis as a reference. Others had posted trend analysis on a seperate forum, which I did not include, with wear metals generally lowers with Driven Oils than Mobil 1 Euro. I am after the A40 oil or A40 similiar that will give me the least engine wear, over fuel economy or over horsepower.
You are providing two examples of UOA of Driven (one has clear oxidation thickening and both are low on flash point, and they don;t include TAN). But claim it has better results than Motul.
OK, I will play this game, regardless that comparing oils using UOA is far from scientific, but whatever.
Where is your Motul UOA from the same engine?
Also, UOA is an analysis of oil not engine.

I really do not care whether you use Mobil1, Motul or Driven. But what you are looking for is confirmation bias. You have been advised to actually address potential issues on your engine. Chasing oil that will resolve the problem is a fool's errand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back