2016 Porsche GT3 RS 504Miles OCI

This looks as I would expect it to look based on engine miles, oil type and fuel dilution. M1 0w40 drops quickly into a 30 grade and always has since as long as I can remember. Also, the larger spread oils using more VII are more prone to dropping quicker when fuel is present.

Tell us how they are not wear metals in solution on this new engine? Again, Do new engines no longer experience break-in wear? How is it that this Porsche is the exception rather than the rule for break-in wear all of a sudden?

I'm all ears here.
You seem so certain, yet you answer my question with a question.

Yes new engines experience some wear. Third question to me is not something I'm postulating, so unsure why you ask me that.

I will say this, I don't know. Is it from metals leaching, previous fills, left over build contamination? You say WEAR. I say we never know unless we see a series of UOA's over time.

You seem so certain, yet you answer my question with a question.

Yes new engines experience some wear. Third question to me is not something I'm postulating, so unsure why you ask me that.

I will say this, I don't know. Is it from metals leaching, previous fills, left over build contamination? You say WEAR. I say we never know unless we see a series of UOA's over time.
It has only 9k miles on it & the UOA is showing high wear metals. New or Low mileage engines NORMALLY experience extra wear for some time. So it's REASONABLE to say the high wear is from break-in based on the data. That's where I stand.

It has only 9k miles on it & the UOA is showing high wear metals TREND. New or Low mileage engines NORMALLY experience extra wear for some miles. So it's REASONABLE to say the high wear is from break-in based on the data. That's where I stand.
Show me the trend. OK you deleted that word TREND from your original reply. You are smart, good thinking.

Show me - with data - these slight PPM numbers of Fe and Cu are actually from WEAR. No one can. It's a UOA weakness.

Show me the trend. OK you deleted that word TREND from your original reply. You are smart, good thinking.

Show me - with data - these slight PPM numbers of Fe and Cu are actually from WEAR. No one can. It's a UOA weakness.
Wear metals are normally elevated in the early mileage of an engine. Fair enough?

They CAN BE. But often Cu is high from oil coolers as a singular example. Which is not "wear".

Anyway 5PPM of Cu and Fe and 4 PPM Al is not anything to even think about in a singular early UOA. The sources are likely multiple.
I think you're right. (y)

I understand what you're saying & I agree in general BUT this Porche is a very low mileage engine that IS experiencing high wear. Which is something that happens during the break-in process. Put it another way... Do new engines no longer experience high wear for the beginning mileage? Of course they still do. This Porsche is no different.

Porsche 991.1 GT3s are know for high valvetrain wear, so that would be iron. I'll see if it stabilises, and if this is break in wear, or perhaps as mentioned a thin SP oil was it. In reality this car is a toy, I suspect it does no more than 2500 miles before the next oil change (before next year) so I don't think I'll it will take some years to get past the break in. I plan to keep it, so I'll update y'all every year. :D

Porsche 991.1 GT3s are know for high valvetrain wear, so that would be iron. I'll see if it stabilises, and if this is break in wear, or perhaps as mentioned a thin SP oil was it. In reality this car is a toy, I suspect it does no more than 2500 miles before the next oil change (before next year) so I don't think I'll it will take some years to get past the break in. I plan to keep it, so I'll update y'all every year. :D
Sounds good.. (y)

If anyone is interested, here is a thread on porsche forums for GT3's oil reports
:

They CAN BE. But often Cu is high from oil coolers as a singular example. Which is not "wear".

Anyway 5PPM of Cu and Fe and 4 PPM Al is not anything to even think about in a singular early UOA. The sources are likely multiple.
Yes, we are talking about noise levels of contamination in a 500 mile sample, this is like using a mortar for hunting deer, then claiming there's a problem with the deer.

I'm a little lost on how 9k isn't considered to be broken in, providing it had seen a few oil changes. Was it getting an oil change every thousand miles? Was it on FF when OP changed it? It is a 2016, and either a person had it who had the oil changed several times, which should have flushed out the break in stuff, or they didn't, and it is the stuff from the break in process.

Drive the dog snot out of it for a week with many many fun redlines and change the FS1 5-50 oil to what you want to run, the Supercar. Then you'll know it's broken in and when you go to change the oil AFTER THAT oil you can see if it's actually shedding like a cat in the summer.

TL;DR - drive it hard for a week then put in the oil you really want to run. On your second oil change AFTER this weeks oil change to the one you want, do another UOA so people can argue about what it means.

Back