Mobil1 5W40 FS x2: What is the point?

I'm sticking with 0/40 til I see a x2 VOA
I am kind of thinking ZDDP will be same amount. But it is baffling that it doesn’t have MB229.5. I really like HTHS though. But this reminds me of Castrol 5W40, except Castrol 5W40 carries both MB229.5 and LL01.

castrol 5w40 exists and apparently people buy it, mobil wants a piece of the cake
Ok, but again, what is the point if oil is not approved for any MB vehicle on the market in the last 10 years, or BMW? So, older VW and Porsche vehicles? And Porsche people will stick to 0W40.
this reminds me of their “annual oil” debacle.

What a weird product.for them offer. Maybe it's just a replacement for Mobil Super Syn "Euro" formula?

Perhaps with all automakers moving to thinner oils they are beginning to phase out 0w40 because it's too expensive to produce? Is Porsche moving everything to C40 or C30.?
Has 229.50 been limited to 30w only?

Last edited:
What a weird product.for them offer. Did they have and get rid of a Mobil Super "Euro" formula?

Perhaps with all automakers moving to thinner oils they are beginning to phase out 0w40 because it's too expensive to produce? Is Porsche moving everything to C40 or C30.?
Has 229.50 been limited to 30w only?
Nah, 229.5 is staying in 40 grade too. I am not sure this is Super. As far as my memory serves me, it was mostly Gr III. This actually has PAO and GTL.

Makes it sound like a MB specific oil - says MB229.5 here?

...and adding more confusion.
Those are two different oils. Mobil1 made the "error" of posting the image of FS-X2 in the product description of Formula M.

If you look at the PDS for each, you'll see significant differences.

FORMULA M
Screenshot_20210213-050004_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210213-051057_Samsung Internet.jpg

FS-X2
Screenshot_20210213-050052_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210213-051151_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
opps! Yeah, why have the 5W40 and the 0W40? That's what Castrol does though with those same 2 oils basically.

With an HTHS of 3.8 it is a tad thicker than most of the 40 grade Euro oils. It's actually more like TDT spec wise, which is dual rated. I wonder if they are selling TDT under two labels? New bottle, pick up some Euro specs and poof you have a Castrol 5w40 competitor.

On the other hand TDT has high ZDDP I can't seem them selling that primarily as a Euro vehicle oil.

I agree, this seems to be a shot over Castrol's bow to sell a 5W-40 whether having all the approvals of Castrol's offering or not. The average consumer's car is out of warranty and many of them are mostly concerned with viscosity.

Formula M 5W-40 is an older product. Its primary target was MB dealer service centers that used it as part of regular maintenance. Now, that was 10 years ago. Not sure if they still use it. Also, some MB dealers at that time were using Valvoline 5W-40 meeting the MB 229.5 spec.

Last edited:
why it didn’t get approved for 229.5 is beyond me. doesn’t really matter though as long as it has 502 and A40 approval.

I imagine Castrol sells a lot of 5w40, I'm not surprised Mobil would finally come out with a competing product. There are a lot of cars that recommend 5w40 and a lot of people don't understand you can use 0w40 instead.

Hmmm.....

Properties and Specifications Mobil 1™ Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D445 13.7
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D445 83
Property Density, 15.6C, g/cm3, ASTM D4052 0.853
Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, °C, ASTM D92 234
Pour Point, °C, ASTM D97 -48

Hmmm.....

Properties and Specifications Mobil 1™ Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D445 13.7
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D445 83
Property Density, 15.6C, g/cm3, ASTM D4052 0.853
Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, °C, ASTM D92 234
Pour Point, °C, ASTM D97 -48
This oil definitely doesn’t have ZDDP level of TDT.

I imagine Castrol sells a lot of 5w40, I'm not surprised Mobil would finally come out with a competing product. There are a lot of cars that recommend 5w40 and a lot of people don't understand you can use 0w40 instead.
But again, missing LL01 and MB229.5. I mean, ok, they sell to people who want 5W40 (those who are not looking approvals will get any 5W40) which is some customer base. But than you have people who want oil bcs. approvals and they eliminated most BMW owners and MB owners.

But again, missing LL01 and MB229.5. I mean, ok, they sell to people who want 5W40 (those who are not looking approvals will get any 5W40) which is some customer base. But than you have people who want oil bcs. approvals and they eliminated most BMW owners and MB owners.
The majority of the general public is clueless about oil to begin with, and while a small percentage will understand viscosity it's still larger than the market that understands approvals. Furthermore, most BMW or MB owners that I know, don't even know where the hood release is. With the trend towards thinner oils including European makes, this 5w-40 maybe geared towards a market just simply looking for that grade for either domestic or imported models that are no longer under warranty. Thoughts?

Back