MOBIL1 0W-40 vs. CASTROL EDGE 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: phlfly
yes it's more like .1 - .3 then .01-.03. at least in this article. I think most auto manufacture wanted be on safe side and confused people with all LL and other numbers.
I don't know, as I said before my friend car works better on M1 5W-30. I can't tell why but this a fact. We tried M1 0W-40, GC 0W-30 then back to BMW oil, and M1 fixed a problem.

No, it is more like .01 to 0.03 based on the real UOA I just referenced of one of the oils in question....... That's with the current SN version of M1 0w40.

Remember, that test was from 1989.

Link?

Go to the UOA section of this website and look at the C6 Corvette 7,000 miles UOA. You'll see the visc is what I posted earlier.

Yes, that's right, phlfly. BMW has deliberately tricked its customers into using horrible oil, but YOU figured it out based on how much noise your engine makes. Good job. When I grow up, I want to be you.

Well your Sarcasm is inappropriate. Good luck using BMW 5W-30 on your E36.
And one more, you need to read cars forums more then you will find how any problems people has with engines, such vanos, oil separator, gaskets, valve seals, valve guides, sludge.
Remember BMW is manufacturing cars and parts but not oil, so they are not to interested to sell more and good oil, but they interested to sell more parts to you.

It's based on Corvette. I will try to read, I think irrelevant to BMW as you told me about I posted data.

It's based on Corvette. I will try to read, I think irrelevant to BMW as you told me about I posted data.

It is still a high stress application and using one of the oils we are discussing. If you want an M1 0w40 UOA, there are some on here, or you can wait for mine.

And one more, you need to read cars forums more then you will find how any problems people has with engines, such vanos, oil separator, gaskets, valve seals, valve guides, sludge.
Remember BMW is manufacturing cars and parts but not oil, so they are not to interested to sell more and good oil, but they interested to sell more parts to you.

I am not quite sure BMW 5W30 is appropriate oil for E36 anyway even by BMW!
That is older European car that requires heavir oils, at least 5W40. I am not sure that in 1996 you could even buy anywhere in Europe 5W30 oil!
From all what I have read this what I would do in your place:
Sell 550i and buy Toyota Camry, 4 cyl, not 6cyl, because it would be too much to handle i think:)

Originally Posted By: edyvw

That is older European car that requires heavir oils, at least 5W40. I am not sure that in 1996 you could even buy anywhere in Europe 5W30 oil!
Sell 550i and buy Toyota Camry, 4 cyl, not 6cyl, because it would be too much to handle i think:)

Well it's trade off for good handling. Those cars are bad in maintenance and lot failures with engines. Everyone is saying BMW engine’s is nice, well nice in term of power but I guess not reliable as they should be. I had 3 different BMW for before that one, and all of them had some kind noises , such BMW is claimed it's valve hydraulic lifters noise (not included E46 M3) and it’s normal. I don't know what is normal, but I know one thing it's bad design. The thing with E46 M3 is sucked one thing it's vanos, bad oil supply make vanos failed premature, unless you are driving at low RMP. If you don't believe read M3 forum. I think its combination of oil brand, grade and supple lines at high RPM.
So I know too much about BMW since I was in club for years. It's great cars to drive, but quality is not there.

Well it's trade off for good handling. Those cars are bad in maintenance and lot failures with engines. Everyone is saying BMW engine’s is nice, well nice in term of power but I guess not reliable as they should be. I had 3 different BMW for before that one, and all of them had some kind noises , such BMW is claimed it's valve hydraulic lifters noise (not included E46 M3) and it’s normal. I don't know what is normal, but I know one thing it's bad design. The thing with E46 M3 is sucked one thing it's vanos, bad oil supply make vanos failed premature, unless you are driving at low RMP. If you don't believe read M3 forum. I think its combination of oil brand, grade and supple lines at high RPM.
So I know too much about BMW since I was in club for years. It's great cars to drive, but quality is not there.

Only what I can say, having owned several BMW's in Europe, that made to 350,000 miles, I think it is not BMW to blame, but your way of maintaining it.

Good luck using BMW 5W-30 on your E36.

You're on a roll in this thread, aren't you?

The oil I use is in my forum signature, and it's not BMW 5w-30.

However, I accept your gesture of good will.
cheers3.gif

Old BMW were much better now everything pushed to the limit, so it’s inadequate cooling system. Someone say it's plastic and seal, well it's easy to blame I think it's poor lubrication and a lot heat with heavy oils.

I'm not on roll, just came asked simple question, as I warned you are not going change my mind about LL01, anymore after reading and researching for two years. But I'm not sure to use dropped another .2 HTHS in the order to get better lubrication in the morning. This is question I asked and turns out to be longer and no win conversation to anyone. There is no win in oil argue.

As far as I know, the car shipped with a 15w-40 but has since been back-specced to LL-01. If you ask a BMW parts counter for an oil for the car, they will usually give you BMW 5w-30.

Common Internet "wisdom" is that these cars prefer thicker oils, but I've had success (to the extent that I can measure it) with thick and thin oils -- although the low-ash 15w-40 I'm using right now seems to be the best I've tried (again, to the extent that I can measure).

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Well, since Castrol was so (un)helpful in my quest to obtain this product, I figured I'd reward them with buying two more cases of M1 0w40
smirk.gif

I will never understand why Castrol does not have top-notch product in 40 weight like GC!
Also, GC is great, but I think they need to update that oil. In EU they are selling 0W30 with LL-04 specification.
No retail market for LL04 in US. EPA hasn't required low sulphur gas so BMW won't spec for LL04.

California has required ultra low sulfur diesel AND gasoline for almost 10 years.

Scott

I am moving to CA actually tomorrow:)
So you saying that gasoline in CA is low-sulfur and that I will not have problem using VW 504/507.00 in my VW CC 2.0T?

5w30 has been a very common oil since at least '93.

Due to the fact it was the only viscosity recommended for the Zetec petrol engines. And it also had to be A1/B1.

German cars like BMW and Mercedes have always seemed to be specced with -w40 oils.

0w30 oils are still not overly common but 5w30 and 5w40 are very common indeed.

So you saying that gasoline in CA is low-sulfur and that I will not have problem using VW 504/507.00 in my VW CC 2.0T?

That is exactly what I am saying, but read for yourself. As of March 31, 2006 California gasoline became limited to 30PPM of sulphur. See short summary document, timeline in last page of document.

http://www.ijc.org/rel/comm/sulfure.html
http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/fuels/phase3dates.pdf The best short summary.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/082908CaRFG_regs.pdf The entire document.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

That is exactly what I am saying, but read for yourself. As of March 31, 2006 California gasoline became limited to 30PPM of sulphur. See short summary document, timeline in last page of document.

http://www.ijc.org/rel/comm/sulfure.html
http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/fuels/phase3dates.pdf The best short summary.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/082908CaRFG_regs.pdf The entire document.

Scott

Thanx a lot!
Actually I was trying to find something like this before, but obviously you were more successful then I was.
Thanx again!

Between this 2 oils,Does it make a great difference(i mean on fuel economy,oil temp and engine wear) that Mobil 1 one has VI 185
and Castrol VI 169?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back