MOBIL1 0W-40 vs. CASTROL EDGE 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: blank1
Between this 2 oils,Does it make a great difference(i mean on fuel economy,oil temp and engine wear) that Mobil 1 one has VI 185
and Castrol VI 169?

anyone?

I would say no, not really. CATERHAM likes the VI specification, and, believe me, its importance is not lost on me. All things being equal, with the higher VI, you should get less wear when cold starting (even when not cold out) and burn less fuel while it's getting to operating temperatures.

How significant that will be is another matter altogether. Between those two oils, I personally wouldn't bother myself much with the VI. Now, if one had a VI indicated it were a straight grade, I'd be concerned.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I would say no, not really. CATERHAM likes the VI specification, and, believe me, its importance is not lost on me. All things being equal, with the higher VI, you should get less wear when cold starting (even when not cold out) and burn less fuel while it's getting to operating temperatures.

How significant that will be is another matter altogether. Between those two oils, I personally wouldn't bother myself much with the VI. Now, if one had a VI indicated it were a straight grade, I'd be concerned.
wink.gif

I always had better cold start with Castrol 0W30 then with M1 0W40. I know M1 has more VI, but in practice, with GC, my engine had better cold start period.

And VI isn't the whole cold start issue, either. Depending upon one's climate, the cold cranking and MRV numbers can come into play. If I had a vehicle that were routinely parked outside in our winters doing unaided starts, I'd certainly look beyond VI to those other numbers. The way Castrol has its weird numbers on its sheets though, it might be hard to compare.
wink.gif

And VI isn't the whole cold start issue, either. Depending upon one's climate, the cold cranking and MRV numbers can come into play. If I had a vehicle that were routinely parked outside in our winters doing unaided starts, I'd certainly look beyond VI to those other numbers. The way Castrol has its weird numbers on its sheets though, it might be hard to compare.
wink.gif

That is one of the issues I have with M1. In my application, it just did not work good.

Yep, and especially at cold cranking temperatures, there can be a reasonably significant difference, even within grades. With M1 0w-40 and GC 0w-30 both being 0w-xx, they are both decent in the winter, but one would suspect a 0w-30 to be a bit better in the biting cold. But, like I said, it's hard to compare numbers when BP won't provide them.
wink.gif

I never had the opportunity to try M1 0w-40 in anything yet, but I had no complaints about GC in the cold.

Yep, and especially at cold cranking temperatures, there can be a reasonably significant difference, even within grades. With M1 0w-40 and GC 0w-30 both being 0w-xx, they are both decent in the winter, but one would suspect a 0w-30 to be a bit better in the biting cold. But, like I said, it's hard to compare numbers when BP won't provide them.
wink.gif

I never had the opportunity to try M1 0w-40 in anything yet, but I had no complaints about GC in the cold.

To add my data point, I found that M1 0w-40 (the Canadian version....) worked exceptionally well in our winters. I've used it on both the Expedition and of course the M5 this past winter and was very pleased with quiet, quick starting.

And I would certainly argue that Ontario has a lot more of what we call "winter" than California
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
wink.gif

To add my data point, I found that M1 0w-40 (the Canadian version....) worked exceptionally well in our winters. I've used it on both the Expedition and of course the M5 this past winter and was very pleased with quiet, quick starting.

And I would certainly argue that Ontario has a lot more of what we call "winter" than California
wink.gif

Off course Canada is better place to determine that, but with M1 I could hear valvees below 50 degrees, while I never heard valves with GC, even starting at 9 degrees in New Mexico.
Only time when I can hear valves with GC is if I do not drive the car for 4-5 days.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
wink.gif

wink.gif

Off course Canada is better place to determine that, but with M1 I could hear valvees below 50 degrees, while I never heard valves with GC, even starting at 9 degrees in New Mexico.
Only time when I can hear valves with GC is if I do not drive the car for 4-5 days.

I think we discussed this before. M1 0w-40 is only thinner than GC once the temperature gets REALLY cold. At 40C, M1 0w-40 is 80cSt vs 72cSt for GC. While M1 0w-40 has a higher VI, it is also a heavier oil (albeit, not by much). And so while its viscosity changes less when the temperature drops, its viscosity is higher to begin with.

On top of that, different oils have different acoustics. M1 0w-40 may simply be "louder" in your application when the lubricant hasn't warmed. That isn't necessarily indicative of any sort of problem however.

wink.gif

wink.gif

I think we discussed this before. M1 0w-40 is only thinner than GC once the temperature gets REALLY cold. At 40C, M1 0w-40 is 80cSt vs 72cSt for GC. While M1 0w-40 has a higher VI, it is also a heavier oil (albeit, not by much). And so while its viscosity changes less when the temperature drops, its viscosity is higher to begin with.

On top of that, different oils have different acoustics. M1 0w-40 may simply be "louder" in your application when the lubricant hasn't warmed. That isn't necessarily indicative of any sort of problem however.

I never idicated that M1 is bad oil or something.
Still, GC has much smoother start. Also, M1 had always very rough start after not driving car for few days, not to mention that when it come sto short trips GC behaves much better.
Whatever it is, sticking to GC. Mobil could work on that a little!

Don't worry, I didn't take it that you had.

Quote:
Still, GC has much smoother start. Also, M1 had always very rough start after not driving car for few days, not to mention that when it come sto short trips GC behaves much better.

In your application though, keep that in mind
wink.gif
In my application, I don't experience these issues
smile.gif

To add my data point, I found that M1 0w-40 (the Canadian version....) worked exceptionally well in our winters.

Have you seen the SN version up here yet? I haven't, but I don't have as much reason to pay attention as you do.

To add my data point, I found that M1 0w-40 (the Canadian version....) worked exceptionally well in our winters.

Have you seen the SN version up here yet? I haven't, but I don't have as much reason to pay attention as you do.

Nope. I figure we won't see it for a while. There is still a LOT of the SM version in circulation at this point.

Don't worry, I didn't take it that you had.

Quote:

In your application though, keep that in mind
wink.gif
In my application, I don't experience these issues
smile.gif

Well yes, in my application. I think that M1 is great oil, but for VW 2.0T i think Castrol 0W30 is much better sollution. On other hand, I only trust M1 for my wife Nissan Sentra
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back