Porsche A40 approvals (05/23): Ravenol VST 5W-40 a solid option?

Hi all, I'm up for an oil change on my 2018 Porsche Macan S. Long-time listener, first-time caller here, and I've heard that Ravenol makes solid motor oils, especially their VollSynth fully synthetic oils that have a pretty high level of PAO base.

VST 5W-40 is back on Porsche's A40 approval list as of 5/2023, and it seems like it's a motor oil that has solid cover of some of the other major certifications (BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW 502 00, VW 505 00).

Is there a better recommendation for A40 in terms of fantastic motor oils that have the A40 certification? Cheers!

There are plenty, you might want to Google A40 Certification Oils!

If you really want the best of the best, give the guys at HPL a call.

Thanks for the reply. I am indeed referencing the latest manufacturer's certificate from Porsche, entitled "Overview of Approved Porsche A40 Engine Oils (05/23)". So I'm familiar with the list, and was wondering what of those currently approved oils would be the highest-quality option for the car. Some others that seem to carry a broad range of certificates include Pennzoil Platinum Euro and Mobil 1, though as I recall from living in Germany, Mobil 1 doesn't qualify there as a fully synthetic motor oil as it has too low a percentage of Group IV/V stocks.

I've heard that HPL makes fantastic lubricants; however, their oils are not A40-approved and therefore aren't relevant for me. :) Thank you!

Thanks for the reply. I am indeed referencing the latest manufacturer's certificate from Porsche, entitled "Overview of Approved Porsche A40 Engine Oils (05/23)". So I'm familiar with the list, and was wondering what of those currently approved oils would be the highest-quality option for the car. Some others that seem to carry a broad range of certificates include Pennzoil Platinum Euro and Mobil 1, though as I recall from living in Germany, Mobil 1 doesn't qualify there as a fully synthetic motor oil as it has too low a percentage of Group IV/V stocks.

I've heard that HPL makes fantastic lubricants; however, their oils are not A40-approved and therefore aren't relevant for me. :) Thank you!

Realize that Approvals are what they are, and an Approval will maybe only get you out of the Warranty period. HPL makes oils that are better than the so called Approvals.

As far as Mobil 1 , there is more to an oil than Group IV/V Stocks, it is the total composition of the Oil. I love Mobil 1 ESP, but I will be trying HPL and I know it will be a great oil.

Lots of opinions to be found here. I have used and will continue to use VST and Ravenol oils including the EFS 0w-20.

There is a reason mfg have approvals and with that, I make my choices as such.

No, I do not shop at Wal-Mart. 😋

VST is a good oil. It just got API SP also, though I doubt Blauparts will have the new formula for a while.

Is that engine specified for mid SAPS in Europe? If so you can run the C40 M1 ESP X3. Regular M1 FS 0W-40 also would be a good pick and quite cheap and available.

or

These are the two approved oils I would use. I'm not sure what spec that particular engine calls for so it would be one or the other.

Hi all, I'm up for an oil change on my 2018 Porsche Macan S. Long-time listener, first-time caller here, and I've heard that Ravenol makes solid motor oils, especially their VollSynth fully synthetic oils that have a pretty high level of PAO base.

VST 5W-40 is back on Porsche's A40 approval list as of 5/2023, and it seems like it's a motor oil that has solid cover of some of the other major certifications (BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW 502 00, VW 505 00).

Is there a better recommendation for A40 in terms of fantastic motor oils that have the A40 certification? Cheers!
General observation about Ravenol, because I haven’t used VST. But I have used DXG for multiple sumps- and DXG is arguably more hyped than any of their other oils in the US.

I used DXG in my 3.5 Ecoboost because it had tungsten, and a bunch of moly, and their ultra-high viscosity base oils. I did 3 OCIs at 6k… and the results were less than stellar. The oil was out of grade on every oil change. There were no changes in wear metals compared to “lesser” oils. Considering I paid 2.5X what shelf-stock oils were running, I see no benefit to DXG. Now that the price increases have pushed thru, and DXG is arguably more expensive than even HPL, I see no reason whatsoever to use the Ravenol.

Do I think Ravenol is a good product? Sure. Is it a premium product worth 2.5X what Mobil 1 costs? Nope. Or is it an equal to what fleet testing of HPL’s PCEO has been proven to deliver? No again. After personal testing, I’ll take the “local” oil that delivered 2.5X the OCI of Ravenol, with equal UOA numbers AND remained in grade and call the cost a wash. Just my $0.02…

I've used VST with good results. Now that the price from Blauparts has gone up to $70.00/5L, I'll likely go to either Mobil1 Euro, or Eurol 5W-40 w/mb 229.5 approval.

Realize that Approvals are what they are, and an Approval will maybe only get you out of the Warranty period. HPL makes oils that are better than the so called Approvals.

As far as Mobil 1 , there is more to an oil than Group IV/V Stocks, it is the total composition of the Oil. I love Mobil 1 ESP, but I will be trying HPL and I know it will be a great oil.
..."HPL makes oils that are better than the so called Approvals."...

I'm not being argumentative.

I'm sure HPL makes good products but what proof do you have of your claim?

Ed

Back