Castrol 0w-40 LL-01 ?

According to the newest Castrol product data sheet dated 25 April 2022, 0W-40 Castrol Edge has regained BMW LL-01, but lost the Porsche A40 spec?

Last edited:
Interesting, the new data sheet with the LL-01 spec appears when I search the Castrol website.

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4

Product Performance Claims ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 API SP BMW Longlife-01 MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5 VW 502 00 / 505 00

Last edited:
According to the newest Castrol product data sheet dated 25 April 2022, 0W-40 Castrol Edge has regained BMW LL-01, but lost the Porsche A40 spec?
Yeah. Weird. On web site still has A40 and no LL01.
But, if they dropped it, it wouldn’t be surprising. Castrol is expert in messing up great products.

I guess it's now API SP rated?

I don't see why it wouldn't have the A40 approval. Since, now it seems more like the 5w-40, which is A40 approved.

I mean MSDS still shows 25-50% PAO.
Yeah. Also something that is weird, is if you lookup the 5w-40 MSDS, it shows the Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic twice. It

That is also weird to me.

I thought 0W could't get LL-01 in its 2018 revision, that seemed to be consensus here.
Actually so far all current LL-01 and LL-04 approved oils are either 5W-30 or 5W-40.

Reactions: JXW
I thought 0W could't get LL-01 in its 2018 revision, that seemed to be consensus here.
Actually so far all current LL-01 and LL-04 approved oils are either 5W-30 or 5W-40.
It seems like the product might have changed. Might be better at oxidizing, or it could be a typo. Who knows

Well, yes. If it's actually the oxidation requirements it could (or should?) be possible
to make an oxidation resistant 0W, for my understanding at least, and it could be more
of an economical matter as it requires costlier basestocks and perhaps antioxidants.
Not an expert though. When things are like they are that's most often for some reason.

We shell see. No other 0W40 product is approved.
The Castrol edge 0w-30 C3 have the BMW LL04 on the german homepage. Also BMW 19 FE 🤔 Think some changes have done to BMW approval program, or Castrol is messing up their approvals on the homepages world wide.

How different or similar are these two (A40 vs. LL-01) approvals or specs?

I think in another thread @Gokhan was saying LL-01 requires a real test whereas A40 doesn't and as long as you mix in the magic A40 powder in there, you get the seal of approval or something to that effect.

basically it sounded to me like LL-01 approval is tougher to obtain ... assuming LL-01 & A40 are not like apples and oranges which was my first question.

FYI, Valvoline Euro 0W-40 has LL-01 approval. I was looking in there recently for EP 5W-30 info and their 5W-30 Euro and 0W-30 Euro also lists LL-01.

Edit:
Just noticed they are under recommended applications and it's not an actual approval and license. Only the 5W-30 and 5W-40 Euro have the license.

Last edited:
How different or similar are these two (A40 vs. LL-01) approvals or specs?

I think in another thread @Gokhan was saying LL-01 requires a real test whereas A40 doesn't and as long as you mix in the magic A40 powder in there, you get the seal of approval or something to that effect.

basically it sounded to me like LL-01 approval is tougher to obtain ... assuming LL-01 & A40 are not like apples and oranges which was my first question.
A40 approval requires test as other European approvals. You can buy package and claim that it meets requirements. Castrol doesn’t do that or Mobil1. Either they are approved or not.

Back