Walmart LL-01 Castrol

The 5 quart jug (black) of 5W-30 A3/B4 I purchased last week at Walmart has Made in Austria on the back label.

The single quarts have Made in Austria, Repackaged in the USA.

That is gold one. Black one available in Wal Mart is Made in USA.

“New one” or American one. It appears the Belgium formula is still LL-01. ;)
I am talking 0W30. Orange one is old batch. Pink one is new. Both Made in Belgium.
I have both in stock:
IMG_8321.JPG
IMG_8322.JPG
IMG_8323.JPG

Interesting. I’ll have to keep an eye on the old stock, not that I use it. Instead, I use Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30. If it’s any consolation, it too does not have LL-01, but not required in my case. The Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 does have LL-01 last I checked.

It's actually not ancient. It was updated/revised within the last year or two, which is why some oils lost their approval.

Hard to believe that the standard developed in 2002 was updated recently, any proofs?
The last time I checked it said "LL-01 was deprecated in 2009"
BMW has come out with lot more newer standards, what's the point of updating it for the 20 yo cars?

They update it for the current engines in production.

There was an N20 test added several years ago, and more recently tests for the new modular engines. It has been discussed on here, and I have read other details from Liqui Moly and Motul press releases and PI sheets.

Hard to believe that the standard developed in 2002 was updated recently, any proofs?
BMW has come out with lot more newer standards, what's the point of updating it for the 20 yo cars?

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

Look at the BMW specs - there are two: Longlife-01 and Longlife-01 (2018), among many others.

Last edited:
LL01 went through 6-7 updates.

They update it for the current engines in production.

There was an N20 test added several years ago, and more recently tests for the new modular engines. It has been discussed on here, and I have read other details from Liqui Moly and Motul press releases and PI sheets.
https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

Look at the BMW specs - there are two: Longlife-01 and Longlife-01 (2018), among many others.

Well, this is confusing. From what I'm seeing on that website, it's a new standard called "LL-01 2018", along with "LL-01 FE 2018", which as you can see from that website is a different record than the original LL-01.

LL01 went through 6-7 updates.
In that case, where are those 6-7 entries on the Lubrizol website? :) All I'm saying is the absence of the official BMW spec is pretty confusing, at least I can't find anything

Well, this is confusing. From what I'm seeing on that website, it's a new standard called "LL-01 2018", along with "LL-01 FE 2018", which as you can see from that website is a different record than the original LL-01.
The original specs were LL-01 and LL-01 FE (fuel economy).

And in 2018 new versions were added: LL-01 (2018) and LL-01 FE (2018).

All four are listed on lubrizol's website.

However, I believe the (2018) is just a Lubrizol nomenclature to differentiate it from the old spec. Sadly, BMW still just calls it "LL-01" even though this spec has undergone some changes in recent years. If you look at the latest Afton Spec Handbook, you should be able to figure out what's changed compared to older Handbooks.

In that case, where are those 6-7 entries on the Lubrizol website? :) All I'm saying is the absence of the official BMW spec is pretty confusing, at least I can't find anything
BMW had to update specs. with changing engines and added tests as well as new emission requirements and changing fuel. LL04 for example only addressed diesel engines initially, but introduction of ULSG in Europe in 2009, as well as stricter CO2 requirements, opened door for that oil to be used in gas engines. Hence, BMW updated LL04 in mid-2000's for the first time to address gasoline engines requirements.
Just because Lubrizol does not list it, does not mean it is not being updated. Lubrizol lists LL01 (2018). That is not actual specification. BMW does not lists years.
Also, Lubrizol does not list all specifications. There are numerous specifications that are missing from their list. Lubrizol is just nice way to get some insight, there is much more to it than what they list.

Interesting. I’ll have to keep an eye on the old stock, not that I use it. Instead, I use Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30. If it’s any consolation, it too does not have LL-01, but not required in my case. The Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 does have LL-01 last I checked.
LX 0W30 is low-SAPS oil.
Euro L 5W30 has LL04, not LL01.

Speaking of confusing, my 2017 MINI Clubman S owner’s manual says “make sure that the engine oil has the viscosity grade SAE 0w-20”. There’s also a sticker under the hood that says “0w-20”

But the owner’s manual also states the “suitable engine oil type” is BMW LL-01FE.

I’ve never seen a LL-01FE in 0w-20 🤷🏼‍♂️

Speaking of confusing, my 2017 MINI Clubman S owner’s manual says “make sure that the engine oil has the viscosity grade SAE 0w-20”. There’s also a sticker under the hood that says “0w-20”

But the owner’s manual also states the “suitable engine oil type” is BMW LL-01FE.

BMW confused things with oil ratings in chase of CAFE.
During warranty: Use what BMW states.
After:
Gas: LL01 or LL04
Diesel: LL04.

Seems like OEM BMW 0w20 is LL-17FE.
Weirdly enough both rmeuropean and fcpeuro recommend 5w30 and 5w40 for your vehicle, and Mobil1 website says "your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-20 viscosity and oil that meets BMW Long-Life-14FE+ or and oil that meets BMW Long-Life-17FE+"
Go figure. Or just use whatever you like as @wemay does with his VW :)

Seems like OEM BMW 0w20 is LL-17FE.
Weirdly enough both rmeuropean and fcpeuro recommend 5w30 and 5w40 for your vehicle, and Mobil1 website says "your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-20 viscosity and oil that meets BMW Long-Life-14FE+ or and oil that meets BMW Long-Life-17FE+"
Go figure. Or just use whatever you like as @wemay does with his VW :)

Because there are very few LL14FE or LL17FE oils in the aftermarket, so they have to try and sell something I guess. My sister's Mini I had to use Total Ineo Dynamics 0w20 but outside of that it would have been a trip to the dealer probably. I think LM is coming with one soon too.

Back