Castrol Edge 0W-40 lost LL-01?

Since it's been the subject of a great deal of discussion and speculation, I'll throw in my opinion: I think it's dumb of BMW to revise LL-01. If it's a newer, more demanding (or just different) specification give it a new and unique designation. Case in point: my 1999 E39 originally specified the latest spec when it was manufactured - LL-98. Then around 2001 came a new specification and they called it LL-01. Now, they've revised LL-01 meaning that oils that would have been perfectly fine for an engine manufactured before the revision are no longer "approved". Like many others, I just look for the A40 spec or MB spec and call it a day (M1 euro or Edge euro for multiple reasons).

To my way of thinking BMW specs seem to be based on test spec v.s. date of issue (hence LL-98, LL-01, LL-04) so in a sense they are going retroactively changing a spec from a particular time (thus vehicles produced in that era). The ones you mentioned like A40 or SN or any of the others are just alphanumeric designations with no implication of era. I believe it's implied that say SN motor oil is fine for a car originally spec'ed for SL (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm assuming that to be the case). Whereas in this case LL-01 today doesn't meet the requirements of LL-01 for older cars. Logically confusing.

Isn`t the sulfur content in gasoline low enough in US so you can use LL04 in both Diesel and Gasoline engines, at least with short OCI?
Yes it is in most places. However, here regulations say average amount of sulfur, which mean you cans till stumble on sulfur rich gas, but unlikely.

Maybe it's already been posted. 0W-40 A3/B4 has been updated for SP and regained LL-01.

Still only 0W-40 'PA' on the US site and presumably what's in stock is that old SN version. I will switch back to 0W-40 A3/B4 when the new one becomes available here.

New pds and sds:

Old:

Back