Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil is an EXCELLENT oil, no doubt, I just don't think it's better than M1. Sorry.
dunno.gif
Some of their oils are better than M1 in the same viscosity, some are not.

Where is my data? The UOA's on here show they are about the same. Amsoil thickens, M1 shows higher Fe...it's a wash. I don't buy completely into Amsoil's testing either. I'm not getting any further into this. Pick one and you'll be happy.

Buster - go look. HDD@25K comes to mind. The problem is people sorta expect Amsoil to do 25-35K and then when it does, ho hum, or no comment. I haven't seen M1 go over 20K so I can't comment either.

On the lower end the XL's are turning out to be better than M1, too. With way better UOA's at the 5-10K mile range.

So I really don't get your statement.

Bought my Amsoil today...but upon purchasing it I was a little disappointed that it didnt have either of these 2 on the bottles...
 -

But instead this funny "API Service SL-CF" starburst
 -

Now Im confused, as Ive always bought oil with those two badges, except for a batch or two of post Katrina...is this switch going to affect my warranty? Sorry if thats a dumb question...Im just a little concerned now.

Looks like buster is having a bad hair day. Havn't seen him so agressive for a long time. If he was female I'd put it down to.......
ps. Love to get my hands on some Amsoil 5W40.

ShortBuSX - Personally I never look at those seals. I look at the specs the oil conforms to or tries to conform to in the back. Some people swear by those starburst symbols but I think an oil's reputation comes from UOAs and the company that makes it. In this case - Amsoil.

If you go to the Amsoil website you can get pictures of the bottles and their various starburst symbols. I believe the Amsoil 0w30 has a Gasoline Mileage improver starburst thingy.

As for the technical side - can't help ya there. Car enthusiast here (not engineer).
grin.gif
Try googling those things and see what you come up with (or searching for them on this site).

Only the AMSOIL XL Series is API certified. The rest of their oils are simply rated for particular API Services. This is for various reasons, one being the elevated levels of ZDDP, and another being the cost related to have the right to print those API certs on each bottle of oil, which would no doubt increase the cost for you the consumer.

Use it with confidence and rest assured that AMSOIL is at the very least as good as any other oil you could possibly use.

Well doing as you had suggested I found this...almost kinda humorous
quote:

Why Some AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils Are API Licensed And Some Are Not

1. Full API licensing puts AMSOIL INC. in an inflexible position. Not only would we find it necessary to buy formula components from specific vendors and be at the mercy of their pricing, we would not be able to make any major improvements to the lubricant formulas for 2 to 3 years, without new testing and the associated costs. To solve this problem, the API must establish basestock interchange guidelines for synthetic basestocks just as they have for other basestocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too.

2. Full API licensing would impose strict phosphorous limitations on our motor oils. This limitation is the main reason most AMSOIL motor oils are not API licensed. AMSOIL INC. currently disagrees with this limitation and feels strongly that the reduced wear and longer oil and additive life achieved through higher levels of properly balanced phosphorous content is more important than the arbitrary API phosphorous limit that does not give any consideration to the NOACK volatility level of an oil. When chemistry is developed that will provide superior engine wear protection with reduced phosphorous levels, or Noack volatility considerations are put in place, then the phosphorous level will become a non-issue.

Warranties And API Licensed Motor Oils

Fortunately, the law does not allow manufacturers to "void your warranty" simply because of the brand of oil you use, the specifications it meets or the miles you drive between oil changes. To be specific, they cannot deny to fix your broken radio, faulty valve or cracked piston because you used an AMSOIL non-API licensed motor oil, or because you've gone more than 3000 miles since your last oil change. Denial of warranty coverage must be specifically due to an oil related failure. All courts of law will find against any manufacturer or dealership that tries these warranty shenanigans. If any automobile dealership insinuates that your warranty will be void if you use AMSOIL products or utilize extended drain intervals, let AMSOIL INC. know the name of the Dealership, the address, the owner's name and the name of the employee that made this statement. Mail to:

AMSOIL INC.
Attention: Technical Services Department
AMSOIL Building
Superior, WI 54880

or e-mail to [email protected].

They will almost never put it in writing, but if they do, please send us a copy of that, too. Either way, we will send them a letter informing them cease the intimidation of our customers.

Only if the oil is determined to be the direct cause of the engine problem can a manufacturer or dealership deny warranty coverage for that specific problem. In this situation the AMSOIL warranty would apply, and the AMSOIL Technical Services Department would assist you in processing your claim and in getting the vehicle repaired. That's our pledge to you. AMSOIL INC. sells millions of gallons of oil per year and warranty claims are a rare occurrence. If you ever have a warranty problem with an automobile manufacturer or dealership, AMSOIL will assist you by analyzing the problem and providing data supporting the fact that repairs should be made under the vehicle manufacturer's warranty. If this does not resolve the problem, AMSOIL will submit a claim with our insurance company and request that an adjuster have the vehicle repaired and pursue legal settlement later if necessary. The fact is there never has been an engine failure attributed to the non-performance of AMSOIL products, and we do not expect there ever will be. If it ever did, both AMSOIL and our insurance company would make certain your problem was resolved. Click HERE to see the AMSOIL Limited Warranty.

One thing for sure - I feel comfortable with that Amsoil warranty standing behind their product. There was a posting awhile back of a guy who had his engine fail due to him neglecting the oil level... Amsoil still replaced his engine. Because of that Amsoil has earned my respect and my willingness to go 10,000 miles+ on their oil.

LOL!!! "To be specific, they cannot deny to fix your broken radio, faulty valve or cracked piston because you used an AMSOIL non-API licensed motor oil..." Now that would be sad and funny at the same time. "Nope, sorry, you're using Amsoil - no radio replacement on your new car."
lol.gif

Can I ask where you bought the oil?

Did the Amsoil dealer ask about your car, your application?

It doesn't matter as far as the oil goes - just use the oil and stay within the car mfr's recommended OCI and you won't have any problems with the oil or warranty.

I bought it from a Napa store, its a pretty impressive Napa store...but no he didnt ask(until the filter purchase). I actually expressed my concerns about the lack of the starburst and donut, and he repeated what I had just said in a voice not unlike Homer Simpson, "mmm Starburts...donuts". So I pointed to the bottle of 0w20? which had it one or both of the symbols. The dude pretty much shrugged off my question, but I really didnt expect much more, as Ive been to AZ and AA in the past(at WalMart that question would lead me to the bakery).

Why do you ask? BTW its for a 2.0L 2003 Suzuki Aerio SX with 50k on it...switching from Mobil 1 10w30. And using Napa Gold filters.

Pablo,

So in reading the warrenty above, I can run Amsoil 25,000 miles in my Toyota that states 5k max oci and if I have a warrenty claim, Toyota can NOT fail to honer the factory warrenty?

Lets say I need a new head because the cams have messed it up. And Toyota is claiming it's because of not changing the oil.

Is Amsoil going to pay for the lawyers that
will get the court to be against the dealer or mfg?

Intesting to see what you think.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

The reason I asked, if you were really worried about the API starburst I would have recommended the XL line.

You probably mean the XL 5W-20, but there is also 5W-30 and 10W-30 (and 10W-40)XL. These are all group III oils.

Use the ATM 10W-30 with confidence.

Bill - that's not the warranty. But to answer your question that page does say this:

quote:

Only if the oil is determined to be the direct cause of the engine problem can a manufacturer or dealership deny warranty coverage for that specific problem.

And I add, of course not. That's a bit ridiculous.

Here's the warranty:

Amsoil Warranty

Pabs,

THANK YOU!
worshippy.gif

Good to see them state you follow the mfg interval for their warrenty too.

Also good to see that they will not warrenty if your engine has been modified at all.

I was really worried for you if whats posted above was Amsoils real statement.

Last summer durning our town fair the local Amsoil guy was there and I started talking to him and sadly he has the mindset of whats above.. (ie, ignore mfg numbers and the best oil for my Corolla was 5w-40 or 15w-40 for 25k miles oci. I asked about uoas and he said they never show anything..
rolleyes.gif
)

I was turned off quickly and I sorta hung around and he did the same speak to others and turned them off too.

Don't know.. They need to filter out them from people like you IMO.....
dunno.gif

Thanks, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rbrogle:
Amsoil just had another price increase at my shop and their oil is now in the $8-$8.50 range per quart. I also noticed the filters are about to double in price as apparently they are changing their filters as well.

Mobil 1 is cheaper at my local Costco by far and I am certainly not afraid to use a Wix filter

Your comparing the price of Amsoil at a shop to a discount "wholesaler" that buy in mass quantity "bulk" then sells on very slim margins.

How about comparing Amsoil at "wholesale" and on "slim" margins that you could get from a site sponsor, I think you would be amazed at the difference.

Secondly, the filters are only increasing by a couple of dollars, but the new technology is "years" ahead of anyone else on the market. The New EaO filters at 98% at 15 microns and still 50% at 7 microns there is no better full flow filter on the market today.

So what would be your price point to stick with Amsoil that is the question? I've calculated about a 40 cent difference between the Amsoil and the New Extended life Mobil 1 at walmart. I don't think that's too bad.

Anyhow good luck

Sorry has nothing to do with pms or a bad hair day. LOL

The XL line shows better results then their more expensive ASL/ATM. Terry would agree. The 5w-40 HT/HS is now down to 3.7 vs M1's 4.1. Doesn't mean it's worse or better, but still a step down in that particular spec.

M1 EP seems to be every bit as good and even Amsoil's own testing shows this. Amsoil's S3k is outstanding and seems to perform better then the S2k.

I don't like to generalize so I think it's important to compare various grades of Amsoil vs various grades of M1. Both are excellent.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Meutsch:
...I'm sure Mobil 1 can do the same things, absolutely. It's just their warranty/specs don't say it can...

Mobil's EP warranty looks to be as good as Amsoil's, except for the 15K vs 25K part. Looking at the Amsoil's product pages, they have more conditional clauses for the 25K-35K intervals too.

I call it a wash as far as warranties.

[ March 11, 2006, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back