Mobil 1 vs Amsoil

Poper09

I am struggling to choose between Mobil One 0W-20 Extended Protection and Amsoil OE, XL, or SS for my 2019 Acura RDX Turbo with 30k miles on it. I change my oil every 5k miles.

I believe both are good oils but not sure if Amsoil is mostly marketing or legit?

Any help/suggestions would be helpful...
Thanks

I believe both are good oils but not sure if Amsoil is mostly marketing or legit?
I would recommend AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-20 - hands down very good oil. Mobil also makes very good products, however, with Mobil you have eyeball the SDS and do a lot of guesswork. That's because Mobil has to formulate their products to fit a certain price point so they can sell them in places like Walmart. With Mobil you will find that they actually use more expensive - higher end materials in lower volume products like their High Mileage and ESP oils than in their ultra high volume products like EP 0W-20.

If cost is not an issue, I would go with AMSOIL SS 0W-20. It's a PAO+POE+AN blend with a custom Lubrizol additive package, a very good product.

Lots of previous threads on this popular topic that may be of interest and may help to alleviate the struggle.

Sorry if a couple are repeats, there are just so many:

Lots of previous threads on this popular topic that may be of interest and may help to alleviate the struggle.

Sorry if a couple are repeats, there are just so many:

The struggle is real !

Yeah, but the OP's situation is different.... 🤪

You are a master at digging up those duplicate posts !! Probably do better than the forum software, which shows users similar thread topics whenever they type their topic. I wonder if the software could flag "common" topics and put them on hold for review by the site mods, then could delete them.

As I read this, I am sitting in a car that has used Amsoil SS 0w30 ( Honda says use 0w20 ) 99% of its life and the engine is running great ( zero oil consumption ).

Before I discovered BITOG in 2002 ( lurked a long time….daily visitor ) , I used to obsesses over which oil would make my engine last forever ( because I drive way more than the average ) but have long come to realize, it doesn’t matter which brand ( but I like one grade up….0w30 versus 0w20 ) you use, your engine will last just as long.

That said, I am a loyal type of person, and have an emotional attachment to using Amsoil ( I also use HPL in my two other cars ) and will keep “ wasting my money” buying it.

I often exceed the oil change light so using any extended oil product is insurance for me.

It’s legit, just like all other brands. Amsoil SS line seems competitively priced ( PC member ) compared to other extended drain oils I see in Canadian tire.

Hopefully that helps with your question.

Edit: sitting, parked in my car , enjoying a coffee while I type.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone will argue that it's crap oil. It might even be "better" than Supertech or Castrol or Valvoline but those oils still offer outstanding protection and performance for (a lot) less money.
I was just using the “ legit” term because the OP included it in his post.

I don’t see Amsoil SS line being anymore expensive ( if you are a PC ) than other oils up here in Canada when in Canadian tire ( they don’t sell Amsoil ) but you will never get the same deals with Amsoil as you do with other brands on sale. So, yes, it’s more expensive, but only when you wait for deals with other brands.

I am struggling to choose between Mobil One 0W-20 Extended Protection and Amsoil OE, XL, or SS for my 2019 Acura RDX Turbo with 30k miles on it. I change my oil every 5k miles.

Any help/suggestions would be helpful..

Thanks

I switched to amsoil xl in my 21 escape. Have 200,000 miles on it. Never burns any at all and engine sou ds so smooth and quiet 😁 I drive all highway and have been changing it at about 10,000 miles. Hope you have a great day👍🏼

pull the dipstick and smell the oil on it...if you smell gasoline then you might know...

Good luck,

Bill
Thanks for the laugh. Every oil change I’ve ever done has smelled like fuel, including the 14k mile sample I just posted from my 3.5EB. Problem with the smell theory is, GC says there was <1.0% fuel in my sample. There’s a reason why smell and flashpoint calculations aren’t used when fuel dilution is a valid concern. 👍🏻

And what’s your point? A large(r) displacement, dual-injected, twin-turbo’d heavier application like 3.5EBs with enough timing chain to wrap around the Honda block 4x is arguably harder on oils, yes?
It's not just about the engine; it's also about the owner. Daily life happens, and we all tend to short-trip vehicles, buy the cheapest gas, and rarely use PEA-based fuel additives. Considering all that, the best and easiest thing an owner can do is purchase and use the best motor oil they can afford. Alternatively, they can go up in grade and OEM approvals to compensate. Just my two cents.

It's best too look at a car as a system when deciding how to spend your $$ on maintaining it. Often, instead of buying boutique oil that is unlikely to significantly extend the life of your car, it would be better to take that money and spend it on the things that really matter for car longevity. Premium tires and brake components so you can avoid accidents. Anti-rust treatments and car washes if you live where roads are salted. Transmission services. Coolant flushes. Etc.

salt-belt.jpg

Back