Mobil 1 vs Amsoil

Poper09

I am struggling to choose between Mobil One 0W-20 Extended Protection and Amsoil OE, XL, or SS for my 2019 Acura RDX Turbo with 30k miles on it. I change my oil every 5k miles.

I believe both are good oils but not sure if Amsoil is mostly marketing or legit?

Any help/suggestions would be helpful...
Thanks

while Amsoil xl or ss may have the upper hand ,if you are changing out at 5k Mobil 5w-30 ep is a fine oil,,if wanting to go lower cost of oil,,why not look at Quaker state ultimate 5w-30 at 5k intervals and good filter.

Greetings …
You want an opinion on how they rank?
Amsoil SS
Mobil 1 EP
Don’t bother with the others bcs they are no better than #2 above
I do agree 5k is short for the two oils above …
Does that engine dilute the oil with fuel ?
I own a 2019 Acura RDX 2.0 Turbo and recently read somewhere that oil dilution is a problem with this engine, in addition to the Honda CRV 1.5 Turbo. Someone suggested I pull the oil dipstick and smell it to see if it smells like fuel. I did and I would say it does smell like fuel when I compare the smell to opening a new quart of oil, very different. No real odor to the quart of Amsoil SS. My oil levels in the car motor are normal on the dipstick. The difference in smell from the dipstick to the opened quart of new oil is large and very much concerns me. Anyone have experience/information on the Acura 2.0 Turbo motor and oil dilution/

Thanks for sharing. My owners manual says 0W20. Why 5W30?

Where do I begin, lol. I will keep it short:
1. My UOA showed 2cSt drop in viscosity due to fuel. The 5w-30 (or 0w-30) will thin out to look like 0w-20, so higher viscosity will just keep me around 0w-20 given fuel dilution
2. Mexican owner manual for 2019 Acura RDX allows different viscosities, 5w-30/0w-20/0w-30. The link should be provided somewhere in this forum.

Nice! Great info! Many thanks!
Where do I begin, lol. I will keep it short:
1. My UOA showed 2cSt drop in viscosity due to fuel. The 5w-30 (or 0w-30) will thin out to look like 0w-20, so higher viscosity will just keep me around 0w-20 given fuel dilution
2. Mexican owner manual for 2019 Acura RDX allows different viscosities, 5w-30/0w-20/0w-30. The link should be provided somewhere in this forum.
Did you take your car to dealer for warranty coverage? What did they say?

Nice! Great info! Many thanks!

Did you take your car to dealer for warranty coverage? What did they say?

I did, but not for engine issues. If you are worried about using 5w-30 impacting your engine warranty, its a low chance. There are many threads written about it, its like 0.00001% that wrong viscosity will cause issues with warranty. Manual recommends, but not requires 0w-20, so they would have hard time making an argument, they likely wont even care as long as you have a receipt. Have you driven above speed limit? what if you get a ticket for going 4mph about speed limit. Some low chance risk is acceptable in life, thats my philosophy

Last edited:
I did, but not for engine issues. If you are worried about using 5w-30 impacting your engine warranty, its a low chance. There are many threads written about it, its like 0.00001% that wrong viscosity will cause issues with warranty. Manual recommends, but not requires 0w-20, so they would have hard time making an argument, they likely wont even care as long as you have a receipt. Have you driven above speed limit? what if you get a ticket for going 4mph about speed limit. Some low chance risk is acceptable in life, thats my philosophy
Wonder why Acura would include viscosity oil options in Mexican manual but exclude it in United States American manual?

I am struggling to choose between Mobil One 0W-20 Extended Protection and Amsoil OE, XL, or SS for my 2019 Acura RDX Turbo with 30k miles on it. I change my oil every 5k miles.

I believe both are good oils but not sure if Amsoil is mostly marketing or legit?

Any help/suggestions would be helpful...
Thanks
Mobil 1 would be a great choice.

I would recommend AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-20 - hands down very good oil. Mobil also makes very good products, however, with Mobil you have eyeball the SDS and do a lot of guesswork. That's because Mobil has to formulate their products to fit a certain price point so they can sell them in places like Walmart. With Mobil you will find that they actually use more expensive - higher end materials in lower volume products like their High Mileage and ESP oils than in their ultra high volume products like EP 0W-20.

If cost is not an issue, I would go with AMSOIL SS 0W-20. It's a PAO+POE+AN blend with a custom Lubrizol additive package, a very good product.
So Walmart Mobil 1 isn’t the same as advance auto?

Back