Quality of Amsoil OE versus Mobil?

Amsoil has 3 levels:
best protection - Signature
extra protection - XL extended life
excellent protection - OE manual recommendation

How does the bottom OE level compare to Mobil's oils? Would it be like their SuperSyn brand? Or the Super 5000 brand?

I cannot answer your question. But I will give you my opinion. I think Amsoil Signature is amoung the best oils available. If I did not want the Signature I would get another top shelf synthetic like PU/PP/M1 at Walmart. I would not bother with XL or OE from Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: buster
OE - Mobil Super
XL - Mobil 1
SS - Mobil 1 EP

Very Good Analogy. Though the Amsoil crowd will differ.
23.gif

Last edited:
OE - Mobil Super
XL - Mobil 1
SS - Mobil 1 EP

I think this is pretty close as well, about as close as it could get anyway with the product ranges anyway.

OE - Mobil Super

One thing that puzzles me is that the OE is almost two dollars cheaper per quart than the MS synthetic. It makes me suspect the OE is not as good..... that it might be no better than the equal-priced Super 5000.

Last edited:
OE - Mobil Super
XL - Mobil 1
SS - Mobil 1 EP

Sounds about right to me.
Originally Posted By: blackman777
OE - Mobil Super

One thing that puzzles me is that the OE is almost two dollars cheaper per quart than the MS synthetic. It makes me suspect the OE is not as good..... that it might be no better than the equal-priced Super 5000.

It shows good uoa. And it has that starburst your so into needing.

OE - Mobil Super

buster wrote that OE is equivalent to Mobil Super, not to Super Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Builder Approvals

M1 5w30 GM dexos Honda HTO-06

Amsoil XL 5w30 None

Grain of salt as far as that goes. The SSO line has no certifications but it is one of the best oils available and I would not have any problem using it in any engine in the appropriate grade.
Red line has no certifications either and again its phenomenal

And how exactly do we know Amsoil is good for use in ______ brand car, if they were never tested by the manufacturer?
Originally Posted By: Clevy
[Amsoil] has that starburst your so into needing.
Actually I think the API specs are junk. They are ridiculously easy to pass tests, compared to more-stringent Porsche, MB, or VW specs. Just do a quick comparison of API SN versus VW507 or dexos1 or MB or any other car spec:
http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/orig...p/pc/index.html

Last edited:
Forget trying to knock Amsoil's quality. The quality is great. However, it's really not as good compared to the competition as it once was. Your top tier synthetics from most of the majors are on par with anything Amsoil has to offer other than a few miscellaneous grades. Very good oil, no doubt.

I say this because if you look at actual performance engine testing, like the Seq IVA/IIIG and others, your better synthetics all do very very well in those tests. Most of it's marketing.

I've had better UOA's with OE than on M1 in 1 vehicle and better wear numbers on M1 than OE in another vehicle. Wish I could give you better experience but it goes right along with the whole thing about each engine being different.

I use M1 and Amsoil products and in my experience I would say that OE is a great product that really surprised me. However, if I were running 5k+ OCI's I would either use XL or M1 as the OE didn't have as good of a TBN retention as the M1 although the wear metals were very good.

What it boils down to is that pretty much unless you're splitting hairs, you aren't going to be able to tell a difference in a normal OCI between M1 and OE. If you are going to do extended drains, I would recommend moving up to the SS, XL, or EP from either brand.

Forget trying to knock Amsoil's quality. The quality is great. However, it's really not as good compared to the competition as it once was. Your top tier synthetics from most of the majors are on par with anything Amsoil has to offer other than a few miscellaneous grades. Very good oil, no doubt.

I say this because if you look at actual performance engine testing, like the Seq IVA/IIIG and others, your better synthetics all do very very well in those tests. Most of it's marketing.

+1

That is why I buy Amsoil ATF and SVG gear oil, but not Amsoil motor oil.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

The SSO line has no certifications but it is one of the best oils available and I would not have any problem using it in any engine in the appropriate grade.
Red line has no certifications either and again its phenomenal

01.gif

Amsoil XLF 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
•API SN (Resource Conserving), SM...; ILSAC GF-5,
GF-4...; ACEA A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C929-A,
Chrysler MS-6395; GM dexos1™ (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M)
and 4718M). Fortified with detergents that exceed dexos1™ sufated ash specifications

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hounddog
GM dexos1™

Amsoil is skirting dangerous territory here. They can say their oil MEETS dexos, like Valvoline does, but cannot claim it has been approved by dexos because it has never been tested by the Dexos foundation.

The fact is Amsoil does not have one builder-tested oil. Not one. We only have their word that the oil is as good as claimed, and that is not worth much in my book. (Same goes for Redline whose ATF C+ destroyed my 90s chrysler transmission. They don't carry any OEM tested certifications either.) I apologize if my opinion offends.

All they are doing is recommending it for Dexos applications. I know it a licensing thing, but I'll take the cheaper Mobil 1 officially licensed with the Dexos 1 logo on the front that is available on any oil shelf when a vehicle calls for Dexos. Seriously, you can even get Mobil 1 5w-30 at Target.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
GM dexos1™

Amsoil is skirting dangerous territory here. They can say their oil MEETS dexos, like Valvoline does, but cannot claim it has been approved by dexos because it has never been tested by the Dexos foundation.

The fact is Amsoil does not have one builder-tested oil. Not one. We only have their word that the oil is as good as claimed, and that is not worth much in my book. (Same goes for Redline whose ATF C+ destroyed my 90s chrysler transmission. They don't carry any OEM tested certifications either.) I apologize if my opinion offends.

No, they can't say it meets DEXOS, because if it MEETS DEXOS, it needs to be licensed.

This is why they use the wording they do:

Originally Posted By: AMSOIL
It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

They are RECOMMENDING it for applications that require DEXOS 1, they are not saying it actually MEETS DEXOS 1.

BIG difference.

With regards to Valvoline, please read:

http://www.valvoline.com/promos/dexos.jsp

Their products are DEXOS "compliant", they meet the DEXOS "specifications".

Note the wording
wink.gif

Back