Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

No need to throw in that concerned American sentence - since you drive a 2004 Subaru WRX.

Name me one American AWD, Turbo Charged Wagon with a manual transmission that drives and handles like a sports car and I will go buy it. My point is I have a WRX Wagon because it fits me to a "T" and it is really the only option in that category. My other vehicles have included a 1987 Buick Regal Turbo "T" (similar to a Grand National) and a 1985 Chevy 4X4 Pickup.

However with the oil there are options and one of them is an American product that in my opinion is second to none so it is a no brainer for me.

never mind the fact that exxonmobil is an american company (Standard Oil) founded by rockefeller in the 1800's. both exxon and mobil were formerly parts of the Standard Oil Trust which was broken up by the supreme court in the early 1900's. buy mobil1 and you're still buying american.

if you still feel amsoil is objectively "better", knock yourself out. but your comment that amsoil is 100% "owned and operated in the USA" doesn't distinguish amsoil from mobil1 in any way. it's also inaccurate. EM is a huge multinational and amsoil is not 100% operated within the USA, as they do have canadian distribution centers.

Ginger, or Mary Ann? One is a little more expensive. Either will get the job done.
sleeping.gif

"Name me one American AWD, Turbo Charged Wagon with a manual transmission that drives and handles like a sports car and I will go buy it. My point is I have a WRX Wagon because it fits me to a "T" and it is really the only option in that category"

The Saab 9-2x Aero???

Sounds like Amsoil is priceing itself out of their own market!Who is going to pay that price for an oil filter let alone the oil itself! I would not even consider Amsoil at the prices you listed. If you have your heart set on Amsoil see if any of our sponsors can make you a better deal!!! If not then go with M1 and a Puralator or wix filter and call it good!

quote:

Originally posted by Davis Leung:
"Name me one American AWD, Turbo Charged Wagon with a manual transmission that drives and handles like a sports car and I will go buy it. My point is I have a WRX Wagon because it fits me to a "T" and it is really the only option in that category"

The Saab 9-2x Aero???

My Saab 9-2X is the ONLY car I've ever owned that has listed on the sticker: 100% Made in Japan, by Fuji Heavy Industries. A Swedish company, which was 20% owned by GM (until GM just sold their portion to TOYOTA...I guess toyota wants Fuji Industries AWD technology?), selling a car 100% Made in Japan. Wake up to the World Wide Economy....Protectionism is dead...like it or not.

quote:

The Saab 9-2x Aero???

Please tell me you were joking, first off SAAB is a Swedish company, secondly a 9-2x Aero is a Subaru WRX made by Fuji Industries.

quote:

never mind the fact that exxonmobil is an american company (Standard Oil) founded by rockefeller in the 1800's. both exxon and mobil were formerly parts of the Standard Oil Trust which was broken up by the supreme court in the early 1900's. buy mobil1 and you're still buying american.

if you still feel amsoil is objectively "better", knock yourself out. but your comment that amsoil is 100% "owned and operated in the USA" doesn't distinguish amsoil from mobil1 in any way. it's also inaccurate. EM is a huge multinational and amsoil is not 100% operated within the USA, as they do have canadian distribution centers.

I don't ever recall saying that Exxon-Mobil wasn't an American company. I also apologize for forgetting about AMSOIL's Canadian distribution centers, not that it really impacts my earlier comments. I still prefer to support the company that sparked this particular industry.

quote:

Sounds like Amsoil is priceing itself out of their own market!Who is going to pay that price for an oil filter let alone the oil itself! I would not even consider Amsoil at the prices you listed. If you have your heart set on Amsoil see if any of our sponsors can make you a better deal!!! If not then go with M1 and a Puralator or wix filter and call it good!

I still believe $25 or $30 per year difference in cost between two products is a non issue when deciding which one to use.

--------------------------------------------------

Large companies like Mobil and Castrol make decisions first based on price point and then on quality. Smaller companies like AMSOIL, Red Line, Neo, etc have the liberty to base their decisions first on quality then worry about price point later. Everytime I pour some AMSOIL into one of my vehicles I even admire the quality of the bottles they use, which I am sure adds a little extra price to each quart of oil but I am ok with that.

quote:

Originally posted by peakperformance:
Smaller companies like AMSOIL, Red Line, Neo, etc have the liberty to base their decisions first on quality then worry about price point later.

I couldn't have said it better. That's why I use redline oil and amsoil tranny fluid.

peakperformance wrote:
quote:

Large companies like Mobil and Castrol make decisions first based on price point and then on quality. Smaller companies like AMSOIL, Red Line, Neo, etc have the liberty to base their decisions first on quality then worry about price point later. Everytime I pour some AMSOIL into one of my vehicles I even admire the quality of the bottles they use, which I am sure adds a little extra price to each quart of oil but I am ok with that.

Quality as decided by whom?

From Mobil 1 website:
"Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 5W-20 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:

ACEA A1,B1
API SM, SL,SJ,EC,CF,CD
ILSAC GF-4

Mobil 1 5W-20 has the following builder approvals:

Ford WSS- M2C930-A
Chrysler MS-6395 "

Do Amsoil or Redline oil meet these specifications?

If not, case closed!!

XLM 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil

API SM/CF, SL, SJ ...
ILSAC GF-4, 3 ...
ACEA A1/B1
JASO VTW
GM 6094M
Ford WSS-M2C930-A
Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N

Amsoil and Redline are a superior oil to Mobil 1 from what I've seen - therefore they should meet and exceed specifications that Mobil 1 meets.

One advantage Amsoil has is peace of mind knowing you are giving your car the best when going long OCIs.

If you are OK with not having the "best" then go with a cheaper oil and change it more often (5k instead of 10k).

As you know in my short tenure here, I have mentioned a couple times I use Amsoil. I travel a lot for business and usually rack up 19-22k a year. Yes, it costs more up front, but for people changing oil every 3-5k, this is 4 to 7 changes vs. my 1 every year. I know, I know, we ALL like to change our oil and you can say you get under your car more often, peace of mind, etc. I still get under the car every 6 months to check things out; but with today's Honda's (I own two, '01 Civic and '05 CR-V), it's getting freaking HARD to fit tools in for the filter, and they've managed to put axles and frame rails in the way of the draining oil, making large messes I'd rather only deal with once a year now. 45k run on the Civic with Amsoil 0w30/ATF, no issues. I always go the max time/mileage allowed by their warranty and not a hint of an issue currently. The CR-V has the 0w30 now as well (after a 4,400 mile break-in with Honda's fab moly break-in oil) and will continue to use it until persuaded otherwise.
Having said that, I'm sure Mobil 1 can do the same things, absolutely. It's just their warranty/specs don't say it can. But we all know it can.....
wink.gif

Im considering switching from M1 to Amsoil ATM...any suggestions? I gather they are compatable, but also notice Amsoil recommends a flush treatment that they sell...so just switch or do the flush with(before) the switch?

quote:

Originally posted by Davis Leung:

The Saab 9-2x Aero???

FUNNY!!!!!
crushedcar.gif

Amsoil is in NO WAY superior to Mobil 1. Redline under high stress/load is better then M1.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Amsoil is in NO WAY superior to Mobil 1. Redline under high stress/load is better then M1.

I smell a duel coming...
itschy.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Pablo, once again, Amsoil is in NO WAY better then Mobil 1.

For what application? Wheres your data? Id be interested if youve got some kinda proof...but looks like to me Amsoil has plenty of data that says otherwise...Im currently not too pleased with M1 and am looking for an alternative, but if you say M1 is the be all end all, then whatTF am I doing changing brands???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back