Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pablo are you saying if i have a ABC that OEM says to change at 3K and i use AMSOIL for 1 year 20K and my dealer says no coverage AMSOIL wont step up and cover an oil related failure ?

Can you restate that with a comma or two? I don't think I'm saying that, but it's difficult to determine what, exactly, you are asking. If you extended your OCI beyond Amsoil's guidelines, you are on your own. If the oil truly fails then Amsoil will cover it.

sorry i'll try to simplify... say Ford says to change at 3 months 3000 miles. i use Amsoil 1 year 20,000 miles. vehicle has oil related failure @ 19,500 miles. Ford says i didnt do recommend OCI. Ford denies claim. will Amsoil cover claim ?

If Amsoil caused the vehicle's engine to fail @ 19,500 miles (virtually impossible) then Amsoil will cover it. According to their warranty.

You know though, there are better ways to do this... Run Amsoil for 10,000 miles and do a UOA (Used Oil Analysis). If that analysis shows everything is ok then you can go more with confidence based on chemical testing. Much better than trusting someone's word in my opinion (although Pablo has tons of UOAs to back him up and what he says is right)
grin.gif

OH21 is (very) close. You need to be a bit careful.

For example, not all conditions, etc, recommendations are 25K. If the Amsoil recommended OCI is 15K, then you are on your own so to speak if you go to 19.5K.

Go here: recommended OCI's for Amsoil and click on AMSOIL Change Interval Charts down toward the page bottom.

Right out of the box, first impression of the Amsoil ATM...very quiet compaired to the M1 10w30...very noticable difference there. If it werent for intake you wouldnt know it was running.

Never noticed a difference between M1 and Amsoil in terms of noise. M1 has never made any of my cars loud. All run very quiet on them.

I used amsoil once. The first oil change after the Honda factory oil at 5K (2002 CRV). It is the only oil that I have used that has made an engine sound like it had a valve problem. I destroyed my hearing flying helicopters and when I hear valve noise it is noisy. I switched to dino 5-20 till mobil 1 came out with 0-20. My next oil change will be to the Mobil 1 5-20. Don't know if Amsoil lubicated the engine so well that the valves were noisy, but it was an unfamiliar noise and I didn't like it. I was fully prepared to run amsoil till the cows came home but couldn't abide with the noise. Comments?

I've never ran Amsoil, But have ran Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec.

In EVERY car/truck (I4, H4, V6, I6, V8) the Mobil 1 made the engine noiser (top end noise mostly).

This is with Mobil 1 SJ, SL and SM. Never tried EP.

The Syntec was quieter (than Mobil 1) and as quiet as dino.

None of the Syns I've ever used got better UOAs or MPG.
dunno.gif

All the Mobil 1 I have left is for my snowblower which recommends Syn for oil. It's very loud and no throttle so I can't comment about it being louder or smoother than dino..
grin.gif

Take care, Bill

Bill !!

Try the Pennzoil Platinum - It quietted up my truck engine and took away a cold high end tapping noise real good...
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Honest - I put in M1 EP now and got it back again.
frown.gif

Good luck and PM me to let me know............

cheers.gif

I agree with Pablo. I think that is why many see it with M1 compared to conventional oil.

Not on times I've used Mobil 1.

It was louder all the time.

In my Toyota, the only time I could not tell that Mobil 1 was noiser than other oils I've used was when the engine was turned off.

It made the top end sound "looser". Like valves were needing to be adjusted. Hot or cold.

I ran it 5k miles so it saw some city and hwy useage.

The Mobil was louder than the Castrol Syntec I used in it.

In my Dads Civic, it had a little of piston slap on start up and if you got the engine real hot (like a 100 mile freeway run with not stopping) it would get the slap sound durning idle.

Never heard that noise again once he went back to Pennzoil 5w-20. (oh the Mobil 1 was 5w-30)

The new owner just went over 100k with it and all is good. She is using Castrol GTX 5w-20 in it since he sold it.

On my Truck, it was louder on idle. My truck makes some FI noise while going down the road so I could not tell any difference between M1 and my normal dino. (and the truck has some gear whine in 5th too)

The UOAs showed the Pennzoil to be better than the same miles run on Mobil 1.

My uncles 4.0 I6 in his jeep sounded so bad when he tried Mobil 1 that after 300-400 miles, he changed it out and put back in his Val- 10w30 AC. Quieted right up. He said while he was 4x4 slowly the engine just had bad sounds.

All of these are interesting. I just think that Mobil 1 makes sounds get much louder than other oils.
dunno.gif

I'd like to try Amsoil someday just to see whats the deal. But as far as Mobil, I've bought my LAST Mobil product as far as engine oil.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Wow, I should check in more often. I think I will end up with the M1 10W30 for a couple of reasons.

1. No one is ever going to be able to convice me that an oil change interval should go beyond 8K. I did 12K once on Amsoil and then changed it. It was REALLY dirty and to me, if it's dark, it's dirty. I guess it was mu upbringing.

2. I changed oil at 8K on the Amsoil I used in the Intrepid, which for me at 40K a year is 5 changes. If I go to a 6K interval with the M1 and a Wix filter, it's more changing but costs less, like about $600 over the life of the car for me.

3. I'm cheap but I'd rather change oil than an engine any day of the week.

4. If I DO go to M1 over the Amsoil, what should my OCI be with a standard filter?

I'm stunned by the response to this post! Great stuff, thanks!

If you want SUPER Insane protection then I'd do it every 5k - at the least.

If you want average - 7,500 miles.

Long - 10,000 miles.

What would I do in my vehicle? 6k. Thats what I am doing with GC and will be doing 10k with Amsoil and GC after this - Based entirely on UOAs.

quote:

Originally posted by tpitcher:
Bill !!

Try the Pennzoil Platinum - It quietted up my truck engine and took away a cold high end tapping noise real good...
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Honest - I put in M1 EP now and got it back again.
frown.gif

Good luck and PM me to let me know............

cheers.gif

Hi,

Thanks for the info.
cheers.gif

I'm having no problem running Pennzoil dino, Castrol, Chevron or QS in the few cars/trucks that I own or take care of.

Don't need Syn and have enough under a buck oil to last for a little time...
grin.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

So, it seems to me that you guys who analyze everything to death (that's not a knock, but an observation) would have recorded sound levels to prove that the noise is greater with M1.
I mean seriously, if you don't take "seat of the pants" data for oil and other things, why would we believe that your engines are "noisier" with M1?

Now let's assume they are noisier, what does that mean exactly?

Scott

quote:

Now let's assume they are noisier, what does that mean exactly?

Absolutely nothing. It's just something to complain about while standing in the alley drinking beer with Dale, Bill & Boomhauer.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
Not on times I've used Mobil 1.

It was louder all the time.

In my Toyota, the only time I could not tell that Mobil 1 was noiser than other oils I've used was when the engine was turned off.

It made the top end sound "looser". Like valves were needing to be adjusted. Hot or cold.

I ran it 5k miles so it saw some city and hwy useage.

The Mobil was louder than the Castrol Syntec I used in it.

In my Dads Civic, it had a little of piston slap on start up and if you got the engine real hot (like a 100 mile freeway run with not stopping) it would get the slap sound durning idle.

Never heard that noise again once he went back to Pennzoil 5w-20. (oh the Mobil 1 was 5w-30)

The new owner just went over 100k with it and all is good. She is using Castrol GTX 5w-20 in it since he sold it.

On my Truck, it was louder on idle. My truck makes some FI noise while going down the road so I could not tell any difference between M1 and my normal dino. (and the truck has some gear whine in 5th too)

The UOAs showed the Pennzoil to be better than the same miles run on Mobil 1.

My uncles 4.0 I6 in his jeep sounded so bad when he tried Mobil 1 that after 300-400 miles, he changed it out and put back in his Val- 10w30 AC. Quieted right up. He said while he was 4x4 slowly the engine just had bad sounds.

All of these are interesting. I just think that Mobil 1 makes sounds get much louder than other oils.
dunno.gif

I'd like to try Amsoil someday just to see whats the deal. But as far as Mobil, I've bought my LAST Mobil product as far as engine oil.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

This is what "noisier" means! Use M1 for 50k then switch...I noticed a substantial difference, I wasnt really expecting that, so no audio compairison, besides Im not that guy(yet)...I just wasnt feeling M1 was living up to its reputation and decided to try something different.

Ive got what I feel is a major complaint about M1, Im not totally certain that its not my car, but had to change brands to confirm...if it "fixes" it, I'll post more about my complaint with M1, but at this time Id rather save myself the embarrassment of not disclosing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back