Mobil 1 EP - 5W-30 vs 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
Simple. 5w-30 because of ACEA A5. A5 is the extended drain spec and no 5w-20 meets it.

Specifications and Approvals

5W-30 (ACEA A1,B1,A5,B5)
5W-20 (ACEA A1,B1 - -

So 5W-30 will outlive 5W-20 because it meets the more stringent longer life specifications? This is evidence based on formal testing. Very interesting. Thanks for pointing this out.

Quote:
I see 5W-20 as a more advanced product. More difficult to manufacture, therefore requiring more technology to produce. It wouldn't seem absurd that it's lifespan as a lubricant is naturally shorter than 5W-30, merely because it is being asked to do more to begin with. Making it into a long life oil would seem to be a greater task than making 5W-30 long lived.

I don't quite grab the logic train here. Why should it be any harder to go any arbitrary endurance limit for one oil than the other? We see synthetics of all shapes and sizes go long distances with minimal viscosity loss. Why would one presuppose that a 20 grade do anything else.?

I don't think there was any challenge in making most 5w-20 other than marketing and production issues. You've got a somewhat fixed floor and you're merely lowing the ceiling a touch. While unfamiliar to most blenders ..I don't think it was any more of a challenge than NOT having to achieve 30 grade 100C performance.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
Simple. 5w-30 because of ACEA A5. A5 is the extended drain spec and no 5w-20 meets it.

Specifications and Approvals

5W-30 (ACEA A1,B1,A5,B5)
5W-20 (ACEA A1,B1 - -

So 5W-30 will outlive 5W-20 because it meets the more stringent longer life specifications? This is evidence based on formal testing. Very interesting. Thanks for pointing this out.

A1/B1
Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPas.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
I see 5W-20 as a more advanced product. More difficult to manufacture, therefore requiring more technology to produce. It wouldn't seem absurd that it's lifespan as a lubricant is naturally shorter than 5W-30, merely because it is being asked to do more to begin with. Making it into a long life oil would seem to be a greater task than making 5W-30 long lived.

I don't quite grab the logic train here. Why should it be any harder to go any arbitrary endurance limit for one oil than the other? We see synthetics of all shapes and sizes go long distances with minimal viscosity loss. Why would one presuppose that a 20 grade do anything else.?

I suppose I'm making that deduction from dino 5w-20. Several times I've read that earlier 5w-20 dino oils didn't fair too well. Perhaps that is not even true. I honestly only know what I read. I don't have independent experience with oil otherwise. I may make a deduction and it may be wrong. I can see synthetic having no such relationship here.

Why would you need to grab the logic train when you're the conductor of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back