M1 0W-40 or RL 10W-30

I find myself pondering which might be better lately. I'm sure either works just fine in my application, really, so it's more of a thought experiment than anything. I have had good luck with Red Line, or at least, oil analysis reports come back fine after a year. But I can't help thinking that Mobil 1 is surely more advanced and tested, not to mention easier to get and cheaper.

My application is my toy cars... 1992 Acura NSX, 1999 Lexus SC400, 2001 Honda S2000. All sit a lot, all see the track fairly regularly, none of them get a lot of actual miles put on them over a year.

newer is not always better!!! most all Redline is REAL synthetic oil while only as much as needed is used in most other oils to meet a spec is used due to its higher cost. 10-30 is a great viscosity unless its very cold + if you use some 10-30 in your heat moving to their 10-40 or even 15-50 i use in my hopped up 2001 TT with only a 4.25 qt sump. my TT roadster is a summer ride mostly unless needed otherwise!! for my winter change i use their 10-40, + yes my turbod 1.8T uses some oil but less with the higher viscosities + higher vacuum is seen on my boost gauge due to better ring seal, other than cost redlines real synthetics are a no brainer IMO

My hopped up 2001 S4 Stage 2+ has used both Amsoil 5W-40 blends (AFL and EFM) and Mobil1 0W-40 should be fine. M1 should be fine. My friend is using Amsoil Signature in his modified hellcat.

BITOG is the Mount Olympus of Oils, and Mobil 1 0w40 is known as Zeus around these parts and rightly so because of its certifications/approvals and good UOAs/experiences. Redline would be like Hades, you know, great in its own right but people fear and shun it usually because their wallet (soul) suffers. I just watched the history channel and it was on Greek Mythology today, thought I'd make a "fun" answer. Can't go wrong with either but I would go with M1.

Back