Looks like M1 EP 5w30 formulation has possibly changed.

Sort of yeah. Well at some point I think Mobil just said eff it and figured they'd save $ by using III's.
I agree it very hard to get normal people oil buying just will buy other brand when it will fully synthetic have will cheaper price than Mobil 1 still say same fully synthetic.( with using cheaper group 3 will make cheaper and sell cheaper so people will buy it other competitive to brands if mobil 1 will $35 to $40 other $22 to 26 range people will mostly people will go cheaper price.)

I agree it very hard to get normal people oil buying just will buy other brand when it will fully synthetic have will cheaper price than Mobil 1 still say same fully synthetic.( with using cheaper group 3 will make cheaper and sell cheaper so people will buy it other competitive to brands if mobil 1 will $35 to $40 other $22 to 26 range people will mostly people will go cheaper price.)

I tried to figure this out but no success.

Most people don’t care. They pick the brand they like. They have no idea what the formulation is. This is the minority too. Most automobile owners get their oil changed by someone else.

New to the site here guys. I love the information that is spread here. I have been sitting in the dark reading many many posts of many of the legends on here such as @OVERKILL @kschachn @MolaKule and many many others. Thank you all.

Ok so now with the question has anyone really figured out what this new "triple action formula" Mobil1 is touting? Personally, it is all I use in all my vehicles. Regular mobil 1 5w30 FS, as I see ep offers no benefit for me or my vehicles considering I use 5K OCI on my SFI engines and 3K on the wifes DI engine. Just kinda curious as if their formulas have changed much or not. I have noticed in the UOA section that Mobil seems to have a touch more molybdenum than before. Or am I seeing things?

This is my first post so take it easy on me lol. Thank you guys again and I love this site! I sat in the darkness long enough I had to get in on this lol.

I tried to figure this out but no success.

Most people don’t care. They pick the brand they like. They have no idea what the formulation is. This is the minority too. Most automobile owners get their oil changed by someone else.
Basically people goes buy cheaper price oil brand most customers on shelf( there few who go buy 1 brands stick same brand with very little goes buy doing get group 4 or 5 or ep oil )hope you understand it now.

New to the site here guys. I love the information that is spread here. I have been sitting in the dark reading many many posts of many of the legends on here such as @OVERKILL @kschachn @MolaKule and many many others. Thank you all.

Ok so now with the question has anyone really figured out what this new "triple action formula" Mobil1 is touting? Personally, it is all I use in all my vehicles. Regular mobil 1 5w30 FS, as I see ep offers no benefit for me or my vehicles considering I use 5K OCI on my SFI engines and 3K on the wifes DI engine. Just kinda curious as if their formulas have changed much or not. I have noticed in the UOA section that Mobil seems to have a touch more molybdenum than before. Or am I seeing things?

This is my first post so take it easy on me lol. Thank you guys again and I love this site! I sat in the darkness long enough I had to get in on this lol.
The only difference i have noticed on an UOA is it now contains 100 ppm of moly. This has not changed Since they first added moly in early API SL tri synthetic formulations shortly before supersyn came out. Back then and right up until this new "triple action formula" and "triple action formula +power" came out its been around 80 ppm. We dont know what other changes were made to things like organic friction modifiers which are not seen on a 30 dollar UOA

1659527323655.png

Basically people goes buy cheaper price oil brand most customers on shelf( there few who go buy 1 brands stick same brand with very little goes buy doing get group 4 or 5 or ep oil )hope you understand it now.
Fortunately I go by the approvals and licenses the oil holds or does not hold, that helps to eliminate thrashing over slugs of moly, doses of boron or worry about base stock composition.

Fortunately I go by the approvals and licenses the oil holds or does not hold, that helps to eliminate thrashing over slugs of moly, doses of boron or worry about base stock composition.
I agree here and few other people goes approval’s and but generally I see peoples from Walmart to advance and few times my for example take 5w30 will carquest or supertech cheaper see or color bottle like ( I seen who in my relatives you go oil change or mm code I just ok) very few know that spec they care they brand api sp or ford Honda etc take that ) I go with rebates or clearance which meet dexos spec or extended drain I buy that) mobil triple action is marketing and maybe give groups 3 and gtl little group 5 oil triple action is cheaparing base oil. Keep price lower still $25 to $29 rage being competitive.

Last edited:
I agree here and few other people goes approval’s and but generally I see peoples from Walmart to advance and few times my for example take 5w30 will carquest or supertech cheaper see or color bottle like ( I seen who in my relatives you go oil change or mm code I just ok) very few know that spec they care they brand api sp or ford Honda etc take that ) I go with rebates or clearance which meet dexos spec or extended drain I buy that) mobil triple action is marketing and maybe give groups 3 and gtl little group 5 oil triple action is cheaparing base oil. Keep price lower still $25 to $29 rage being competitive.
No clue here.

No clue here.
Most people who buy oil except few rookies like you buy oil by spec which exceed other mostly people brand name and price look name companies buy meets spec ford , Honda etc buy which they budget. Just my 2 cents

Most people who buy oil except few rookies like you buy oil by spec which exceed other mostly people brand name and price look name companies buy meets spec ford , Honda etc buy which they budget. Just my 2 cents
Sorry I still don't get what you're trying to say. But that's okay.

And what I find so ironic, is that after Mobil pitched a fit at Castrol, they did the exact same thing, switched to group 3 base stocks aka Visom (from their leaked presentation paper). They used some kind've verbiage "We are moving from group 4 base stocks to group 3 base stocks without disclosing this to the consumer" or something like that. Pot meet kettle.
Their marketing is poo. They aren't making the argument for oil that doesn't oxidize and controls sludge extremely well. IMO that has been the real magic of M1 Full Synthetic (the old school poa/poe). So many more engines fail because of sludge and deposits clogging something or freezing the piston control rings.

If a gp-III has a theoretically better wear package or can uses better wear modifiers or whatever i think its irrelevant. All motor oil can prevent enough wear to last an engine to extremely high mileage. The deposits and sludge will kill it way sooner if you let your motor oil turn to sludge, varnish or deposits.

Just assume most synthetics regardless of brand are a blend of III/III+(GTL), IV/V now lol.
Bingo! So forget about the extended OCI. No one is making a product that can protect like that. They are selling EP for just a few dollars more. They clearly took the magic out of the product and decided they have a way to sell regular M1 for $2/qt by throwing a crazy 20k claim on it.

Bingo! So forget about the extended OCI. No one is making a product that can protect like that. They are selling EP for just a few dollars more. They clearly took the magic out of the product and decided they have a way to sell regular M1 for $2/qt by throwing a crazy 20k claim on it.

My usual caveat on this : That particular Mobil 1 oil will last 20,000 miles but only if the engine allows it.

So their claim is not crazy and there are plenty of warnings on the product to follow the manufacturer recommendations.

Also, in case you didn’t know it, M1 has been dropping the PAO in their oils for years. It ain’t like old times Billy.

Back