Looks like M1 EP 5w30 formulation has possibly changed.

There's a ton of real good full syn oils out there. I think a reasonable OCI is more important here than a change of oil brands. Both Mobil 1 & Valvoline are very good. I've used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for yrs in both my TGDI vehicles w/ great success! The oil analysis on that oil is excellent too. Maybe try that? It's a step up from Valvoline & Mobil 1 silver bottle (possibly EP too) by most so called "oil experts" opinions. Amsoil Signature Series picks PUP as its main competitor in its marketing even. I'm not a fan of the boutique oils for 99% daily drivers out there. Most the majors beat those in the important tests anyhow.
What are "the important tests"?

What I am getting the most out of this thread, is.. that if M1 this specific one is losing its PAO or some of it ? that it may not be a big deal.

Valvoline full syn has PAO ? In what ratio..where did you hear /read this? Just curious. Thanks.
It doesn't have any PAO! I never thought it did and I never said it did. How many times do I have to say it? Let me try to explain one more time:

I used Valvoline EP 5w30 because it had lots of moly and looked good on paper. I began to want an oil that had PAO in it and had always new Mobil 1 5w30 had it, so I switched. Now, I found out Mobil 5w30 no longer has PAO in it, so I decided to go back to Valvoline EP 5w30. I know it doesn't have PAO in it, okay? I decided that if an oil doesn't have PAO in it, then I might as well go back to the Valvoline.

It doesn't have any PAO! I never thought it did and I never said it did. How many times do I have to say it? Let me try to explain one more time:

I used Valvoline EP 5w30 because it had lots of moly and looked good on paper. I began to want an oil that had PAO in it and had always new Mobil 1 5w30 had it, so I switched. Now, I found out Mobil 5w30 no longer has PAO in it, so I decided to go back to Valvoline EP 5w30. I know it doesn't have PAO in it, okay? I decided that if an oil doesn't have PAO in it, then I might as well go back to the Valvoline.
We don't know it doesn't have PAO in it though, they simply may not be calling it out on the SDS now, just like they didn't call out whatever constituted the other 70-85% of the base oil blend back when PAO was listed:
Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 5.25.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 5.20.10 PM.png

MSD Sheets aren't recipes, and while they can be fun to use to catch a glimpse of some of the constituents of a finished lube, there is typically a LOT that is omitted, and we need to keep that in mind.

I believe with raw materials shortage sds has been changed but I sure that ep 5w30 has poa and ester ( they no way group 3 or gtl will stay good oci 20k )

Im sure they use ANs in their api/ilsac oils and ester in the euro oils but then again i aint no expert lol i look to you guys for that
My understanding is they use both, broadly. AN's have less seal swell than POE, so you'd have to use more of it. Basically, AN's are "great" for seals, offering a very good level of seal compatibility that doesn't require anything else to balance it. I'm not a formulator, but in my mind, that doesn't sound like it easily counteracts the harshness that PAO has , which is why traditionally esters, which have more seal swell, have been employed.

AN's have fantastic solubility and cleaning however while not competing for surface area with additives, so, if you can get away with just the minimum level of POE to offset PAO's seal harshness and replace the rest with AN's, you get better additive solubility and cleaning, while allowing the additive package to be more effective. That's a win.

It would likely have to have some to balance seal compatibility. Perhaps just the minimum though.
I agree even mobil say all m1 line of product ester base oil.I think they will some balance seal compatibility since this extended performance line .

I keep looking for the internet complaints of using a factory recommended motor oil causing issues with engines and have yet to find them...I've never had an issue with using Mobil 1 in various vehicles since 2001...

I know that GM has a marketing agreement with Mobil lubricants but my new to me (bought last year) Cadillac CTS V-Sport (3.6TT) will probably get Mobil 1 EP in 5w-30 along with a A/C Delco Gold filter as recommended by two GM dealerships...is there a better choice?...maybe...are there worse choices?...probably...but as I mentioned, I have used Mobil 1 oils for over 21 years without any oil related issue...

Good luck with your choice,

Bill

Back