Looks like M1 EP 5w30 formulation has possibly changed.

Motor oil development is moving in leaps and bounds and has been. Incredible what the engineers and chemists have accomplished. After I push the limits of commonly available motor oils I wanna try something that has lots of PAO's. Is Redline still a true PAO synthetic?
I believe it has a good bit of PAO in the base stock. Not sure how much. But I don't know for sure.

Group 4 or IV.. Royal Purple used to be mostly it.

Superior cold flow properties and high oxidation resistance..

Now, enter conversation about how Group 3+ or III+ is almost as good ?
While I can not disagree with those points but what if you didn't live in an extreme cold climate? What if you changed your oil a 5 to 10,000 mile intervals? We aren't wearing our engines out using any of the oils the majors are Marketing .

While I can not disagree with those points but what if you didn't live in an extreme cold climate? What if you changed your oil a 5 to 10,000 mile intervals? We aren't wearing our engines out using any of the oils the majors are Marketing .

I wasnt trying to claim that we were.

Just that Royal Purple specifically comes to mind when one mentions Group IV. I might never have used a Synerlec oil. That stuff is just purple dyed $34 for 5 quarts Group III+ now.

I used to pursue boutique oils, now I have a better idea for who makes what, Mobil 1 as noted seems to have the widest variety of oil composition, my new favorite superior oil is @High Performance Lubricants and hopefully I get the chance to stock up.

If you're like me, you cant leave the oil in for 5000 miles, even if you know you can.

The MSDS also doesn't say that it does not include PAO, only that 20-30% of the bast stock is Visom. My guess is that it does contain some PAO along with GTL and blended accordingly to what is on hand...
I doubt it. Mobil1 used every opportunity to list its % of PAO when included In the formulation. Like we say for every brand, if not there, it's not there.

Although i completely understand its benefits, living in S.Florida, PAO was never at the top of my list as a determining factor.

Last edited:
...I remember looking at the EP 5w30 SDS couple months ago and I know I saw 1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED in the SDS (probably 10% at most), but It looks like they got 1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED (PAO) off the list from the EP 5w30 as of June 8, 2022. The ingredients table for the EP 5w30 looks identical to vanilla M1. No one will know what they are hidin[g] from the ingredients list because of "trade secrets", but I would think the information is accurate. There is no more PAO in EP 5w30.

Is Mobil 1 possibly removing PAO/AN from their products?...As many of us know, over the years, many M1 products stopped using PAO/AN. It looks like EP 0w20 is the only one left that I know of.
You're making some far reaching assumptions here, and the old SDS shows about 25% PAO.

If you add up the concentrations of potentially hazardous ingredients from the latest SDS (which is the reason for an SDS), you only have a total of about 32% (average) of the total mixture.

What do you think comprises the rest of the mixture, or 68%?

Last edited:
You're making some far reaching assumptions here, and the old SDS shows about 25% PAO.

If you add up the concentrations of potentially hazardous ingredients from the latest SDS (which is the reason for an SDS), you only have a total of about 32% (average) of the total mixture.

What do you think comprises the rest of the mixture, or 68%?
That's why I said we won't know what they're hiding because of "trade secret" type of reasoning, but I and many other people just don't see why they would remove something they used to list on their SDS.

That's why I said we won't know what they're hiding because of "trade secret" type of reasoning, but I and many other people just don't see why they would remove something they used to list on their SDS.
I for one am not going to get to excited about this unless the API sticker has vanished!

Back