Looks like M1 EP 5w30 formulation has possibly changed.

With my 2020 CRV that had rather significant thinning out of grade by 3000mi running either M1 0W20 EP or AFE, I switched to 0W30 AFE on the recommendations here in BITOG and that has worked to an extent, however it does thin or shear out slightly below grade for a 0W30 but still above 0W20 viscosity at the 3000mi mark. So I'm just doing 3000-3500mi intervals using the Honda factory filters. My primary question is: due to difficulty sourcing M1 0W30 locally, what would be the benefits/drawbacks to switching to M1 5W30EP? here in Central Pa, it seldom gets below 5F so low temp flow isn't really a concern. The base viscosity of the 0W30AFE is a tad higher than the 5W30EP and the 5W30 does have Honda Approvals. My thoughts which I've inquired with both my Honda servicing tech (Master Certified) and my Service advisor, both said as far as warranty, it's both API rated SF/GF6 and Honda approved so no warranty concerns. Will probably stay with the 3000-3500Mi intervals, because there aren't any magic oils just approvals and viscosity.

I was just browsing on Mobil 1's website today and decided to look at the Safety Data sheet for the Mobil 1 EP 5w30. It looks like the SDS was revised on June 8, 2022, which is two days ago.

I remember looking at the EP 5w30 SDS couple months ago and I know I saw 1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED in the SDS (probably 10% at most), but It looks like they got 1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED (PAO) off the list from the EP 5w30 as of June 8, 2022. The ingredients table for the EP 5w30 looks identical to vanilla M1. No one will know what they are hidinc from the ingredients list because of "trade secrets", but I would think the information is accurate. There is no more PAO in EP 5w30.

Did anybody see this? I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed.

Is Mobil 1 possibly removing PAO/AN from their products? Is it a supply issue? As many of us know, over the years, many M1 products stopped using PAO/AN. It looks like EP 0w20 is the only one left that I know of.

I am curious to see what will happen to EP 0w20, because EP 0w20's SDS hasn't been revised in almost a year. Many people have been praising EP 0w20 for a long time, but I have a feeling EP 0w20 will possibly become more "similar" to all the other EP products.

Anyhow, just trying to see what opinions people have about this recent revision.
That OCI is far too soon. Run it at least 5-6k mis or more. I would hope Honda can build engines in '20 that can safely go that distance! Especially using a quality full synthetic motor oil. Your being way too anal ..an i say that as someone that is quite anal myself about oil choice/OCI w/ both my expensive newer TGDI twin- turbo powered 4wd trucks. I currently use Penn Ultra Platinum exclusively & always OEM filters!

But you know enough to ask about it here?

Torco 100% synthetic oils. They have all varieties for any type vehicle. I'm probably switching to them after 10yrs+ using Penn Ultra Platinum! Check there website. Quite impressive.

Motor oil development is moving in leaps and bounds and has been. Incredible what the engineers and chemists have accomplished. After I push the limits of commonly available motor oils I wanna try something that has lots of PAO's. Is Redline still a true PAO synthetic?
Look into Torco 100% full synthetic. PAO & Ester. I may be switching an soon!

I don't see why not its now a $1.22 cheaper than the new Mobil 1 EP pricing.
Why not Penn Platinum (avail anywhere) or Penn Ulta Platinum (avail on Amazon / Walmart.com). Been using both for over 10yrs in all vehicles i've had ..or have now. In a leased '21 Explorer ST my fiance has. The TGDI engines love it. Gen 2- 3.0L TGDI never burns any oil. My '18 4wd truck (not leased) w/ twin- turbo 3.5L TGDI runs great w/it. 5-6k mi OCI max. I like Castrol alot but not sure it's as stout overall for DI /turbos etc.

Just curious, what is it about the Castrol Edge BB and the Valvoline EP you did not like? Or you just feel like trying the New "Triple Action" from Mobil 1. 😂
What's the new triple action Mobil 1? EP? Heard here its not as good as older EP. What's deal? Thnks. -Ohio

Why not Penn Platinum (avail anywhere) or Penn Ulta Platinum (avail on Amazon / Walmart.com). Been using both for over 10yrs in all vehicles i've had ..or have now. In a leased '21 Explorer ST my fiance has. The TGDI engines love it. Gen 2- 3.0L TGDI never burns any oil. My '18 4wd truck (not leased) w/ twin- turbo 3.5L TGDI runs great w/it. 5-6k mi OCI max. I like Castrol alot but not sure it's as stout overall for DI /turbos etc.

You can say the same thing about Castrol, Mobil, Havoline and any other major brand. I’ve used them all. Never had a vehicle burn any oil.

Not as good you say? What is worse about it?
I asking here. Some bad attitudes on here noticing. Not new I've been on here at least 10yrs. Was reading a few threads that said formulation was changed possibly . Trying to get info. Just answered to be a wise guy? Weird.

Back