Is M1 the only 0W-40 that is approved for SP, A40 and LL-01?

The only 0w-40 i think yes. But Quaker state 5w-40 and Castrol 5w-40 have sp, a40, and ll-01 so those are both good alternatives if it doesn't go below -20f.

Valvoline 5w-40 has ll-01 and a40 but is SN rated. Castrol 0w-40 is a40 rated but is SN an doesn't have ll-01.

The only 0w-40 i think yes. But Quaker state 5w-40 and Castrol 5w-40 have sp, a40, and ll-01 so those are both good alternatives if it doesn't go below -20f.

Valvoline 5w-40 has ll-01 and a40 but is SN rated. Castrol 0w-40 is a40 rated but is SN an doesn't have ll-01.
Motul X-Cess Gen 2 now has an SP formulation with all of the above also I think.

When many (all) 0W-40's lost the BMW LL-01 2018 approval, is it known whether they couldn't pass the N20 timing chain test or the higher oxidation standards or another test (or a combination) ?

Down here in the upside-down continents, Penrite released the SP blend 0w40 with MB229.5, A40 and LL-01!
I have never seen Penrite oils on any European OEM's approval list. It would seem they are another boutique that 'recommend' applications they think their products can meet. Nothing wrong with that as long as their customers understand what they are purchasing (and corresponding lack of OEM testing/approvals).

I find it hard to select anything but Mobil 1 0w40. It's the only VW502 oil I can find readily and at nearly any oil retailer. Castrol 0w40 and 5w40 consistently stays out of stock unless I sharp shoot and buy early to keep on the shelf until I'm ready for an oil change. I just don't feel like putting that much effort into it since I avoid Walmart and I'm rarely in parts stores, so getting oil is always an additional stop.

I have never seen Penrite oils on any European OEM's approval list. It would seem they are another boutique that 'recommend' applications they think their products can meet. Nothing wrong with that as long as their customers understand what they are purchasing (and corresponding lack of OEM testing/approvals).
I managed to find this 'expired' Porche approval, but I do not think they have given the latest update to the public yet. On their web, they also said the oils are fully OEM licensed/approved.

I managed to find this 'expired' Porche approval, but I do not think they have given the latest update to the public yet. On their web, they also said the oils are fully OEM licensed/approved.
I mean, their language is pretty clear, the only formal approval their Euro 5W-40 has is API SP, all the others are a "Performance Level" claim, which in no way implies an approval.
Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 12.12.34 PM.jpg

Well, the updated castrol 0w40 finally regains all three badges back. There are differences in spec with the previous one that is still SP, but missing either one out of three of them. I remember the 'older' SP blend has a 12.7 KV100 and 198 VI.
USA website doesn't show SP...yet

Considering how very closely related Castrol 0W-30 and 0W-40 are, it's curious that the 0W-30 never lost LL-01 but 0W-40 did. We can only speculate.. maybe the two products were marginal pass/fail against the updated more rigorous valvetrain test.

Considering how very closely related Castrol 0W-30 and 0W-40 are, it's curious that the 0W-30 never lost LL-01 but 0W-40 did. We can only speculate.. maybe the two products were marginal pass/fail against the updated more rigorous valvetrain test.
0W30 did lose LL01. It is back this year.
0W40 is replaced with API SP, and has LL01. I think in the US they are getting rid of supplies before SP introduction.

Back