New Mobil 1 C40 GT 0W-40

approx % of each?
There is no way to know on any particular lot or container. SDS are unreliable in this aspect and often give wide ranges because it’s not germane to their purpose.

A blender can freely blend an oil using interchangeable base stocks as listed in API Annex E. As a result any base stock that meets the technical requirements for a Group III is acceptable and it doesn’t depend on the method of manufacture.

Blenders vary base stocks on what is available at the time and what makes the most economic sense.

Jeeez so many 0w40’s out now! I just ordered some ESP x3 for $6.26 a quart from an Autozone deal they have going on. Which 0w40 would y’all consider to be the best currently?

Last edited:
I just ordered some ESP x3 for $6.26 a quart from an Autozone deal they have going on.

Awesome! M1 ESP X3 0W-40 will keep being great stuff.

Which 0w40 would y’all consider to be the best currently?

There's hardly "the best". My personal favourites though:

M1 ESP X3 0W-40
M1 ESP X4 0W-40
M1 C40 GT 0W-40 (if obtainable once)

I'd love to add Ravenol RUP 5W-40 but you called for 0W-40 (if it really matters). But $$$$ currently.

Except M1 C40 GT all with VW 511 00 & Porsche C40 and the latter with BMW LL-04 & MB 229.51 & Ford WSS-M2C917-A.

Awesome! M1 ESP X3 0W-40 will keep being great stuff.

There's hardly "the best". My personal favourites though:

M1 ESP X3 0W-40
M1 ESP X4 0W-40
M1 C40 GT 0W-40 (if obtainable once)

I'd love to add Ravenol RUP 5W-40 but you called for 0W-40 (if it really matters). But $$$$ currently.

Except M1 C40 GT all with VW 511 00 & Porsche C40 and the latter with BMW LL-04 & MB 229.51 & Ford WSS-M2C917-A.

Don't forget:
Mobil 1 0W40 Supercar
Mobil 1 FS 0W40
Mobil 1 0W40 ESP

:D

I wish they made Mobil 1 Racing in 0W40.

For one thing a 0W winter rating would be absolutely irrelevant to racing.

I agree with you, I am just being a smart ass, because this forum appears to be full of people that like to question things, instead of explain or add value (not all).

That being said, but both current Mobil 1 Racing Oils are 0W. 0W30 and 0W50, hence why not a 0W40.

For one thing a 0W winter rating would be absolutely irrelevant to racing.
Mobil seems to be using thin base oils and taking advantage of VM behavior and temporary shear to achieve horsepower gains. I think there are racing oils and there are racing oils. The Mobil offerings seem to be the type of thing you might use if you're sponsored and have deep pockets, vs a "racing" oil designed for maximum wear protection as you see from Redline, Motul, Ravenol, etc.

Mobil seems to be using thin base oils and taking advantage of VM behavior and temporary shear to achieve horsepower gains. I think there are racing oils and there are racing oils. The Mobil offerings seem to be the type of thing you might use if you're sponsored and have deep pockets, vs a "racing" oil designed for maximum wear protection as you see from Redline, Motul, Ravenol, etc.
Question on your comment to racing oils providing better wear protection. Is that in applications of high temperatures and high loads, or even in everyday usage? I've been browing around trying to learn about oils, and do "Race oils" always provide better wear protection, assuming you keep their change interval short, and mileage low? Is there a downside, outside of OCI, cost?

Question on your comment to racing oils providing better wear protection. Is that in applications of high temperatures and high loads, or even in everyday usage? I've been browing around trying to learn about oils, and do "Race oils" always provide better wear protection, assuming you keep their change interval short, and mileage low? Is there a downside, outside of OCI, cost?
It's hard to generalize I think. For something like Ravenol RUP which carries actual approvals, for sure no downside. For oils without approvals, it's hard to say. It seems like that oils such as 300V should provide as good or better wear protection than the equivalent grade 8100 oil but you are taking Motul's word for it. A potential downside of these non-approved oils is they typically have high additive levels and maybe they would fail a deposit test in MB 229.5 or LL01, for example. I would not be that concerned if changing it very often.

Sidetracking us, thanks for the info about,,the Ravenol Rup oil, it is quite intersting. I've not seen a race oil with approvals.

Ravenol RUP 5W-40 (VW 511 00, Porsche C40, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, Dexos), RSP 5W-30 (BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW 502 00 etc) and REP 5W-30 (BMW LL-04, MB 229.51 & 52, Dexos2 etc) while RCS 5W-40 (not to mention RRS, RSS, RSE or RFS 15W-50) doesn't come with any approvals, since it's probably too thick for BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5 as these approvals incorporate fuel efficiency targets. Their target market is different anyway. Racing, not anyone's daily vehicle, while RUP, REP and RSP accomplish both needs or many of them.

Ravenol RUP 5W-40 (VW 511 00, Porsche C40, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, Dexos), RSP 5W-30 (BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW 502 00 etc) and REP 5W-30 (BMW LL-04, MB 229.51 & 52, Dexos2 etc) while RCS 5W-40 (not to mention RRS, RSS, RSE or RFS 15W-50) doesn't come with any approvals, since it's probably too thick for BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5 as these approvals incorporate fuel efficiency targets. Their target market is different anyway. Racing, not anyone's daily vehicle, while RUP, REP and RSP accomplish both needs or many of them.

The Ravenol oils are interesting. They seem to use Tungsten as their anti wear additivites, instead of others. Definitely a unique approach, I've not seen in my limited research. In my brief uoa Ive seen the folks are not so impressed. It does seem to have a positive following oil club.de.

The Ravenol oils are interesting. They seem to use Tungsten as their anti wear additivites, instead of others. Definitely a unique approach, I've not seen in my limited research. In my brief uoa Ive seen the folks are not so impressed. It does seem to have a positive following oil club.de.
VST is another good option for you probably, but whether or not it is really any better than PP Euro 5W-40 is impossible to answer. It's certainly good on paper and has many Euro approvals. I think the tungsten is disappearing according to the chatter on the oil-club. The SN formula of VST has it still but it may disappear with the SP. No one has analyzed the SP yet and you can't buy it in the US yet since the entirety of the stock that Blauparts has is SN right now. I would note that it doesn't carry A40 if you care, but does have BMW/MB.

Back